Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning 297RSTS

Fellow Forum Members,
    A friend is visiting and owns a 2018 Reflection 297RSTS. We're installing an inverter and a Renogy DC-DC system...but that's a subject for another thread.

For the last several days I've been looking at my friend's trailer and something just didn't seem right. If you look at this first picture, what I tried to capture is the camper tilting towards the camp side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220216_171329 (Large Cropped).jpg
Views:	602
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	77030

I crawled under the camper and measured the exact same spot from the concrete to the frame of the camper just in front of the forward axle.

Name:	Measurements.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	77031

This what the front springs look like:

Name:	Front Springs.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	77032

TucsonJim or other 297 owners--are the springs bad? What do you think is the issue, Rob ( Cate&Rob )?

Thanks in advance for any and all inputs.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hi Howard,

This is not unlike the way a Reflection 303RLS leans the other way (not that much) because the left side of the trailer weighs nearly 1000 lbs more than the right side. Is this side-to-side weight imbalance similar in a 297RSTS? The next step is to measure loaded spring arch as I have described elsewhere. Weight on each tire can be measured with a Sherline scale (also described elsewhere).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Howard, My 303 the springs look just like that. Note the reversal of the arch over the top of the axle. This kinda concerns me a bit and I need to measure the arch when the weather gets a bit better and I can close everything up and retract the rear jacks.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

That curb side spring looks terrible.

A 297 has the outside kitchen and tv door on the curb side, as well as the kitchen on the inside. If that side is heavily loaded with kitchen "stuff" then it could be adding quite a bit of weight to those springs.

Does he have the weigh sheet as new to show the difference from side to side, ours was less than 100# difference, same layout just a fifth wheel. Maybe time to hit the scales.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson I went through this last summer with my father in laws SOB trailer. It had a similar lean to one side, and construction wise was built to be fairly even side to side. We used my tongue weight scale and verified he was pretty close to the same weight all around. We decided to replace his springs (they looked similar to your friends) and went up a size, careful with that as you know too stiff isn't good either. His was a small jump, I think from 4400 to 5200. After the change it sits level and leans into turns way less. We think his springs were definitely shot.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Post 7 on how to use your Sherline scale to measure the load carried by each wheel. https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...g-helpful-info

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Hi Howard,

This is not unlike the way a Reflection 303RLS leans the other way (not that much) because the left side of the trailer weighs nearly 1000 lbs more than the right side. Is this side-to-side weight imbalance similar in a 297RSTS? The next step is to measure loaded spring arch as I have described elsewhere. Weight on each tire can be measured with a Sherline scale (also described elsewhere).

Rob
              I had forgotten about your Reference Material post, Rob! Measure Spring Compression and Arch Height (How To): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-height-how-to

Howard & Francine

Comment

My transcend xplor leans to the curb side too, and the leaf springs look flat, like those shown on the 297rsts. I'm guessing the springs are bad, is this a doable diy job?

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis D View Post
                  My transcend xplor leans to the curb side too, and the leaf springs look flat, like those shown on the 297rsts. I'm guessing the springs are bad, is this a doable diy job?
                  Absolutely. There are multiple individuals here on the forum (and threads) about the process. One example is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-silent-member

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Thanks, gonna check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis D View Post
                      Thanks, gonna check it out.
                      As noted in the Welcome Letter, consider tagging (or quoting) if you have a question. Amongst the many here that know about suspension is my fellow moderator, Cate&Rob. By tagging him (like I just did) he'll know you have a question.

If tagging and quoting is "greek" to you, please re-read the Welcome Letter.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Ellis D

Start by measuring the loaded arch height of each spring. See the process linked in post 9. This will give you an objective measurement and tell you where you are in the spring’s design range. Spring arch is nominally 3” unloaded and should be in the range of 1.5” loaded. Much less than this and the spring is overloaded or starting to collapse.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here's an interesting observation. I use a Level Mate Pro for making sure my trailer is level when parking. It's very repeatable and consistent. After replacing all the springs a couple of months ago, the passenger side was showing that it was higher by about 3/4". After driving the rig a couple hundred miles, the springs have already started to settle, and the heavy side is now at about 1/4".

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                          X