Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mud Flaps for Trailer ( 315RLTS w/MORRyde IS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mud Flaps for Trailer ( 315RLTS w/MORRyde IS )

I'll be towing over gravel roads and want to protect the gas lines and stabilizers behind the rear wheels from flying debris. My trailer has the MORRyde Independent Suspension (IS) which made this project easy, as there as a perfectly placed 2" beam for the flap supports.

First pic is the before shot -- note the beam.

Click image for larger version  Name:	before.JPG Views:	135 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	78221
    The supplies used are:
    2 ea 3/16" x 2" x 3' flat steel (one on each side as the main support for the flap)
    1 ea 1/8" x 2" x 3' aluminum flat (this was cut in half and used to "sandwich" the flap)
    6 ea 5/16" x 2" x 3" Square U Bolts (Would have preferred 3/8" but they weren't available)
    12 ea nylon lock nuts (added to Square U Bolts)
    1 can Matte Black Spray Paint
    1 pair Buyers Products 3VUH3 PR Mud Flaps 18"x 12" https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buyers-Pr...laps/912157714
    8 ea (4 per side) 1/2 x 2 galvanized hex bolts (cut excess off with dremel before painting) plus flat washers (both sides of "sandwich"), lock washer, and nut

The steel is attached to the leading edge (against the beam). The aluminum is there just to make sure the mud flap doesn't tear easily.

Here's what the assembly looked like prior to installation (after painting):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Assembly of flap.JPG Views:	84 Size:	264.3 KB ID:	78222

And how it looks installed...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Installed 1.JPG Views:	84 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	78223

Hard to see in the picture, but the 1.5' aluminum flat piece (on the rear of the assy) is "caught" by the first square U-bolt which squeezes it against the steel flat. The second and third U-bolt hold the steel 3' flat in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	installed 2.JPG Views:	86 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	78224

Came out as I'd hoped -- expect a report at the end of the summer as to their effectiveness.

Howard

Last edited by howson; 03-13-2022, 07:32 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Nice looking work Howard - As always.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Looks nice and a good idea Howard. Well executed!

My only suggestion is to make sure there is not some unexpected vacuum effect, either normal driving or when passing or being passed by a semi, that can pull them forward into the tires. I’ve learned that pulling a giant box among other giant boxes causes some unexpected air movement.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Should have used more bolts, and bigger bolts.....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Howard

You need a couple of these or the “other ones” if the wife will allow, to keep them weighted down.(pc correct)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1DB35894-B0DB-4348-B79C-D0C343EF3778.png
Views:	267
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	78297

Jim
          Jim and Cindy
          2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
          2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Should have used more bolts, and bigger bolts...
            It's the largest they had on the shelf! (Yes, they are probably oversized. I wanted to ensure that "sandwich" wasn't going to move!)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
              You need a couple of these or the “other ones” if the wife will allow, to keep them weighted down.(pc correct)
              The "other ones" are a non-starter!

If they survive the trip then (maybe) I'll dress 'em up.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

It's the largest they had on the shelf! (Yes, they are probably oversized. I wanted to ensure that "sandwich" wasn't going to move!)
                Knowing while you are driving that the thing is secure is well worth a few bucks extra for hardware to my way of thinking. That little nagging doubt about your equipment is exhausting!
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The "other ones" are a non-starter!

If they survive the trip then (maybe) I'll dress 'em up.
                  Actually the weight will hold them down and not flap all over the place. If they get to flap too much they will end up on top of the tire and will get ruined for sure. If the last the trip with no weights you will not need weights. You could take a piece of extra steel that you used for the brackets , if you have extras, and bolt it to the bottom of the flaps , painted of course, and that will be enough weight. Another thought is back in the day , when I was younger, I had chains on my flaps on my pick up that held them back just a little, looked cool to, not sure if that is "hip" anymore though.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X