Storage on uneven ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage on uneven ground

I am a new owner a grand design 2800bh, and need to store it for a few weeks on some uneven - I don't think it is an issue, but a well-meaning neighbor indicated that parking on uneven ground can damage the roof. it is parked on about a 5% incline front to rear, and maybe 2-3% left to right (it is a dirt driveway).

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
    Thanks

It won't be an issue.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I think it will be fine but if you have some blocking to get a little closer to level side to side that would be beneficial. I think that side to side level is more important than front to back when in storage. Our previous TT I would always keep it nose high when in storage and did not have any issues.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

5% is a lot of incline. Let's break that down to 5 ft in 100 ft, or 2.5ft in 50 ft, or 1' 3" in 25ft. With a 32' long camper you are probably close to that 25' from tongue jack to wheels. Ideally you want the unit nose high and as close as possible lateral (side to side). Laterally this will help promote water shed due to the arched nature of most camper roofs and helps prevent water from running down the high side walls possibly finding a way in. Nose High in the front as any penetrations in the roof (like attic vents) are designed for a frontal attack from water and such (due to travel conditions).

This is my opinion on storage. I do store our 5er in the driveway with the stabilizers fully engaged leveling the camper to help with wind and other issues that may arise. Also I keep rubber mats under the tires. When the camper or other trailers are stored on dirt, the tires get placed on wooden runners to minimize the possibility of moisture absorption into the rubber leading to steel banding failures.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I agree with above, having well-chocked wheels. Avoid running the slide out.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Mine is probably 5* nose down right now. My only concern was chocking the wheels so there would be no undo stress on the landing legs.
            IMO, the angle up or down will make no difference. I've stored my 5'ers this way for 25 years.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

jj_in_atlanta -- I doubt this would be an issue but just in case...if the trailer has an absorption refrigerator (can run on propane) do not run it when this far off level--it will overheat and fail.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X