MORryde X-Factor bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

That's good news as MORryde does not have any bolt on cross members for the wide hangers (they did suggest a weld on RE21-004). They do have one for the center UO21-003.

I will try and get a length measurement for you today.

Yoda,

Is your center hanger 5 inches long at the frame? With the longer hangers as seen in the Dexter suspension system, it looks like you have the support that a V clip would provide on the shorter (at the frame) hangers. Its also interesting that when looking at the design of your hangers that they are protecting primarily for spring wrap. Spring wrap will result in a force applied to the rear hangers that is parallel to the frame.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
      How can I get an answer from GD to my questions below? Tried to tag Megan but must not have done it correctly.

“I don’t want Lippert to find an excuse for something failing on their suspension or frame and then pointing fingers at aftermarket modifications. I wonder if GD would like to clarify this for us on this thread.

1 - Does adding aftermarket shackles to stock equalizer or X factor void frame warranty?

2 - How long (years) is that warranty for? “
      Hi there Beachcamper !! If you add any type of aftermarket item to the frame, and there is a damage due to that aftermarket item being added, then it will void that item on the warranty. So if you replace the shackles with an aftermarket item, and there were to be a failure of some sort, then LCI would not cover that.

LCI's warranty is 1 year from date of purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Hi there Beachcamper !! If you add any type of aftermarket item to the frame, and there is a damage due to that aftermarket item being added, then it will void that item on the warranty. So if you replace the shackles with an aftermarket item, and there were to be a failure of some sort, then LCI would not cover that.

LCI's warranty is 1 year from date of purchase.
        Megan, thank you for responding. I had found that Lippert has a 6 year warranty on the suspension which seems to be the big issue we are discussing. Can you confirm if this is correct? We are all trying to beef up the suspension as some of us have had some scary failures on the road. Lippert did reimburse me for my mobile welder. If the warranty is for 6 years as in the linked document, I will continue with Lippert vs MorRyde for upgrades.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...2017_final.pdf
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Megan, thank you for responding. I had found that Lippert has a 6 year warranty on the suspension which seems to be the big issue we are discussing. Can you confirm if this is correct? We are all trying to beef up the suspension as some of us have had some scary failures on the road. Lippert did reimburse me for my mobile welder. If the warranty is for 6 years as in the linked document, I will continue with Lippert vs MorRyde for upgrades.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...2017_final.pdf
          I'm sorry, I thought you were questioning the frame warranty. The frame warranty is 1 year from date of purchase.

The document you referenced is accurate- the spring axles and suspension systems do have a limited 6 year warranty. This document only applies to units that are 2017 and newer (I believe 2017 was when LCI implemented this newer longer warranty period).

I would recommend contacting LCI directly to find out their stance when it comes to changing components. From my past life (before GDRV), I know that LCI works with customers if they were to change to different aftermarket items on LCI components. They still honor their warranty. I know that they don't throw around the term "voided warranty" often.

Comment

I was at an RV show today and was speaking with a rep from MoRyde. I asked for more info on the X Factor bracing and told him that Lippert was going to add V Braces to the hangers this summer. He told me that would probably prevent me from adding the X factor. The V brace will make it difficult for the XFactor to grip the hanger as designed. Anyone here experience any difficulty installing XFactor brace post V Brace on their hangers?
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Lippert was going to add V Braces to the hangers this summer.
              Well . . . isn't that interesting . . . I have been after Lippert for several years, to put V braces into their "long/tall" hangers.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Well . . . isn't that interesting . . . I have been after Lippert for several years, to put V braces into their "long/tall" hangers.

Rob
                Rob, I asked them to install them when I go in for annual bearing service this summer. I saw your post on how they reinforced your hangers. Thought I would then stop at MorRyde for the XFactor but now it does not seem to be possible.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

I was at an RV show today and was speaking with a rep from MoRyde. I asked for more info on the X Factor bracing and told him that Lippert was going to add V Braces to the hangers this summer. He told me that would probably prevent me from adding the X factor. The V brace will make it difficult for the XFactor to grip the hanger as designed. Anyone here experience any difficulty installing XFactor brace post V Brace on their hangers?
                  Beachcampers,

The X factor bracket mounts at two points at each side of the Rig. One with a longer hanger bolt, and the other with a strap that mounts behind the hanger and to the x factor bracket. This strap could be an issue to get behind the hanger with the V clip in place. If I owed a large 5th wheel I would have the V Clips installed on the rear hangers and also would install the X factor bracket on the center hanger.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Beachcampers,

The X factor bracket mounts at two points at each side of the Rig. One with a longer hanger bolt, and the other with a strap that mounts behind the hanger and to the x factor bracket. This strap could be an issue to get behind the hanger with the V clip in place. If I owed a large 5th wheel I would have the V Clips installed on the rear hangers and also would install the X factor bracket on the center hanger.

Jim
                    Jim, I apologize as I refer to V Clips as V Braces. Thank you for confirming the installation and your opinion on how you would go about it. My option is also have all hangers getting V Clips and having Lippert also weld a 2 x 2 across from center to center. It would probably be cheaper than going with X factor but will find out when I get there. Might just make the appointment at Morryde to get in line and maybe get their beefed up shackles installed on my equalizers.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Jim, I apologize as I refer to V Clips as V Braces. Thank you for confirming the installation and your opinion on how you would go about it. My option is also have all hangers getting V Clips and having Lippert also weld a 2 x 2 across from center to center. It would probably be cheaper than going with X factor but will find out when I get there. Might just make the appointment at Morryde to get in line and maybe get their beefed up shackles installed on my equalizers.
                      The terms "V Clip" and "V Brace" are used interchangeably by technicians. Both refer to the same "V" welded inside the hanger above the spring attachment. I would suggest caution on having a cross brace welded between hangers on opposite side of the trailer (where the X brace bolts into place). If you ever need to remove the fresh water tank or even completely drop the coroplast, this cross brace will likely have to be removed.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The terms "V Clip" and "V Brace" are used interchangeably by technicians. Both refer to the same "V" welded inside the hanger above the spring attachment. I would suggest caution on having a cross brace welded between hangers on opposite side of the trailer (where the X brace bolts into place). If you ever need to remove the fresh water tank or even completely drop the coroplast, this cross brace will likely have to be removed.

Rob
                        Did not consider dropping the coroplast would be an issue, did think about the tanks and was going to ask them when there for service. Would you then not have the center V Clip added so that Morryde could install the center X Factor? So V clips on all except centers.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

As Jim Guest notes, V braces in the outer hangers and a cross brace for the centre hanger is a viable option.
                          I chose to have V braces installed in all six hangers, but no cross bracing.

The only broken hangers reported so far have been rear hangers . . . usually the right rear.

If you want to have a centre hanger V braces and a centre cross brace, with some extra fabrication stubs could be welded to the inside of these hangers and the cross brace bolted to these stubs, so it could be removed if need be.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ok, you guys. Where do you source V-Clips/V-Braces.

Seems to me it would be pretty tricky to fabricate them in the welder-guy's shop, unless he had some really specialized equipment.

Or do you just cut a piece of 3/8" flat bar to length, put it in a big bench-vise, heat the bar red-hot with a torch, and hammer it over 90 degrees. . .

-Steve
                            2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                            Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee amp;
                              Hi Steve,

The width of the V brace is not a standard flatbar dimension. This needs to be about 1 7/8". 1 3/4" flatbar will be too narrow and 2" flatbar will be too wide. The length of the piece of flatbar is a "standard" 6". If I were fabricating these I would go to my metal supplier and ask him for six 1 7/8" slices of 1/4" x 6" flatbar (or plate). I would cold bend these to 90 degrees with a generous radius at the bend. You could outsource the bending or acquire a suitable bender for about $100. Attached is a picture of the one that I use for many different jobs like this.

Rob
                              Attached Files
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

steve&renee amp;
                                Hi Steve,

... or acquire a suitable bender for about $100. Attached is a picture of the one that I use for many different jobs like this.

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rur3UCgUIs
                                2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                                Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                                X