Burnishing brakes on single axle only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnishing brakes on single axle only

My 2022 2600RB has Lippert 4400 lb axles with Axletek (Chinese) brakes and hubs. The pleasures of building axles during a supply chain crisis I imagine. Anyways, on the left rear wheel, the brake assembly spit the adjuster on my last outing, leading to a wonderfully nasty grinding sound, and wearing my pads down to non-existence (while also deeply scoring and trashing the drum). That whole assembly needs yeeted, as the kids say these days I think.

Lippert has been super to work with. I called them today and I'll have replacement brakes for both sides, and a new hub by tomorrow midday. I've been super impressed with their service.

My question is about burnishing.

How do you burnish the rear axle only without flat spotting the front tires? My front brakes are good and will grab. In equalized tandem setups,the rear brakes, as they get more grippy, provide a lifting action on the front axle which causes those front tires to skid. There's a cool video of this action on the youtubes but I can't seem to Google-fu it. Anyways, my front Goodyears will probably be skidding before I get my rear drums up to the recommended 350F on my heat gun. This is why my equalized boat trailer only has brakes on the rear axle.

Should I bypass the front brake wiring? Can I even do that? Or am I over thinking it and just need to adjust them for proper drag and go camping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9HDloz9fq8
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

You could crawl under there and disconnect the front axle magnet wiring. On the driver side (if my memory is correct) there should be a triple connection at the front axle. the connection is from the 7 way to the front axle and then front axle to rear axle.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I am not sure what to suggest here. I would think the only way to do it is to cut the wires that drop from the coroplast to the front axle as mentioned above and resplice together with a proper size butt connector and heat shrink tubing.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would adjust the new brakes and just go camping. Recheck the adjustment after a few trips.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

You can perform the burnish procedure after installing the new brakes along with the original axle. It will not harm the existing brakes. Ted's suggestion is also ok as the brakes will burnish in under moderate stops at lower speeds. Adjust your gain so you are not locking up the front axle. Front wheel lock can happen even after all brakes are working normally. Its a function of the suspension design.

Jim

Comment

I watched the linked video. I had less interest after the narrator said burnishing finishes the curing of the shoes!! Really?
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post
              Or am I over thinking it and just need to adjust them for proper drag and go camping?
              You are over thinking...adjust and go.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks all! I'll take the adjust and go camping approach. I am an engineer and tend to over-think these things...
                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

I am an engineer and tend to over-think these things...
                  LOL . . . there is a whole lot of that going on, in this forum! You are in good company!

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Engineers never over think things, they just plan everything to death.....

Famous quote "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig likes it."
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks all! I'll take the adjust and go camping approach. I am an engineer and tend to over-think these things...
                      I'm also an engineer as many others here where you will do well in this forum. We have a wonderful mix of skilled technicians as well, in addition to plenty of practical experience. So there is a lot of overthinking going on. lol.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Famous quote "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig likes it."
                        So that is what I have been doing for the last 30 years, pig wrestling, who would have thought

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Oh Oh...are we going to start posting up 'engineer' jokes...

What is the definition of an engineer?
                          Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                          X