Moment arm of tank locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moment arm of tank locations

My wife and I have recently purchased an Imagine 2600RB. We will take delivery later this month. We will be towing the 2600RB with a ½ ton Ram that has been optimized for towing. Weight is always an issue and I am working hard to stay within weight and balance limitations. All this to say I have a few questions.
    1. I am interested in knowing the distance of the each axels from the hitch coupler. Can any one provide that information?
    2. Can anyone provide the distance of each tank (black, grey and fresh) from the axels.

Using this information, I can calculate the moment arm and effective weight impact on the tongue weight based on different fluid levels in the various tanks.

Originally posted by ridgebackbob View Post

My wife and I have recently purchased an Imagine 2600RB. We will take delivery later this month. We will be towing the 2600RB with a ½ ton Ram that has been optimized for towing. Weight is always an issue and I am working hard to stay within weight and balance limitations. All this to say I have a few questions.
    1. I am interested in knowing the distance of the each axels from the hitch coupler. Can any one provide that information?
    2. Can anyone provide the distance of each tank (black, grey and fresh) from the axels.

Using this information, I can calculate the moment arm and effective weight impact on the tongue weight based on different fluid levels in the various tanks.

WOW. I can't be of much help but I'm dying to hear the answer to your questions. "calculate the moment arm and effective weight impact on the tongue weight based on different fluid levels in the various tanks" I have never heard of this, have no idea how this information could help you tow, and don't recall anyone ever asking, but that does not mean that they are not good questions, I hope you get your answers and that they will be of help to you.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I have access to the 2600RB drawing package. I can give pretty precise number on the holding tanks. But the axles locations are not very detailed. All numbers below are given in inches from the zero point. The zero point appears to be where the hitch A Frame is welded to the main frame.

1. There are three spring hangers on the unit. The center spring hanger is approximately 178 inches from the zero point. From there, you should be able to calculate the location of the front and rear spring hangers, and then the relative position of the axles.

2. From the zero point, the leading edge of each tank is as follows: Front grey - 78", Fresh Tank - 123-3/4", Rear grey - 234-5/8", and Black tank (rear edge, not leading edge) - 302-1/2".

Hope this helps.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Our loaded 2600RB for two and with a full tank of fresh water the tongue weight is 960lb. I've towed with the fresh water tank low and gray and black tanks full with no issues. The 2600RB is balanced very well.

Update: Looking back I see you have a RAM. I have a 10K Equalizer WDH and if I had to do this over I would have purchased the 12K model. I've added air bags to help with bottoming out on Michigan roads so I have made adjustments with the 10K hitch to work well with the bags.

The varying moments has not been noticeable in these instances.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2022, 04:49 AM.

Comment

There is going to be a lot more to this than static moments in the dynamic world of towing a trailer. There are no baffles in the tanks, so liquids will slosh forward when braking and the reverse with acceleration. The suspension linkage lifts the front axle during braking. This transfers weight to the rear axle and the hitch. Definitely a complex mathematical model . . . the engineers on this forum will be very interested if you can model this.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What would really help us engineers is post pictures of the door stickers showing the Ram towing specifications such as CCC and axle ratings. In addition there should be a sticker on the hitch showing the limits. I am assuming your hopefully considering a WDH hitch, so please post that information too. All this weighs into a safe towing situation.

Just trying to help
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Maybe this will help you. It's an old drawing, so there may have been some adjustments on the newer models.

Edit: Drawing removed. Grand Design is very specific about not allowing posting of any drawings on this or any other site. Owners can obtain drawings directly from Grand Design by contacting Customer Service with their VIN. (Sorry about that . . . )

Rob (Moderator)
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-06-2022, 09:26 AM.
              Mike and (RIP Karen)
              2021 2600RB
              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
              X