Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust on frame - Do all new 2022 Solitudes come this way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust on frame - Do all new 2022 Solitudes come this way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	056049A2-C44E-4518-9A71-90E37D568F49.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	89386 Click image for larger version

Name:	846F8B55-5A67-40E4-8D23-E47EB8EEC4AF.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	89387 Click image for larger version

Name:	0B288723-227B-4180-8AAB-A63B009D4EA6.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	89388 Click image for larger version

Name:	97AD09AF-3E9A-43B4-90DF-4C1AC1DAE2BC.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	89385
    Attached Files

Traveling Man, that is all normal. The bolts are uncoated and will rust at the first sign of water. And spot rust is normal on the frame as well. All the pictures you show is just surface rust. If you don't like the look of it or are worried, you can sand the surface and put a coat of paint on the frame... don't do the bolts on the slide as that might cause future maintenance issues.

As part of your normal O&M of the rv, you need to always look for rust that is deep.

By the way, if the RV goes thru winter travel and salt... the rust will look worst.
    We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

When I received my first GDRV rig in 2014, it was delivered in March and driven on salty roads in the Midwest. The rust was HORRIBLE. Ever piece of metal was rusted. But, another forum member mentioned I should spray the rusty areas with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I did, and it immediately neutralized the rust and brought the metal back to a flat black color. If I were you, I'd hit those rusty areas with the Rustoleum. I think you'll be really happy with the results. Keep a can handy for future spots of rust.

JIm
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks! Will do.

Comment

My Reflection was delivered in July so there wasnt any rust on the underside when delivered. We do however travel South every winter from MI and encounter road salt. In the past I have tried to keep the underside rust free by painting. I have switched to using Fluid film on all the metal parts. Its easy to apply and touch up when needed. It works better for me, the only downside is when working under the trailer its easy to get dirty of you come in contact with a treated area.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            When I received my first GDRV rig in 2014, it was delivered in March and driven on salty roads in the Midwest. The rust was HORRIBLE. Ever piece of metal was rusted. But, another forum member mentioned I should spray the rusty areas with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I did, and it immediately neutralized the rust and brought the metal back to a flat black color. If I were you, I'd hit those rusty areas with the Rustoleum. I think you'll be really happy with the results. Keep a can handy for future spots of rust.

JIm
            X2 Rust Reformer works great!
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

For those areas already covered in Rust, you can try something like https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-40204-...dDbGljaz10cnVl to convert it. From there you can either do the Fluid Film

GM uses a spray way on their frames. It's either or something similar to https://www.daubertchemical.com/brands/nox-rust and can be purchased in a spray can. FAIR WARNING: THIS STUFF IS COMPARABLE TO NEVER SEIZE. I.E. once you get a drop on you, it's everywhere. Cleans up with most solvents.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Since you mentioned the frame coating on GM vehicles. I have used Fluid film on the underbody of my last 2 trucks and found that it works well with the frame coating. Typically after a regular winter up here there will be some spots where the frame shows rust even though its supposedly coated when its made. A coating of fluid film when the trucks were new (and a yearly touch up which can be done with a regular rattle can) have kept them both rust free. My 2018 was a lease and when I turned it in some lucky person in WI bought a lease truck that had been undercoated, something I dont think happens regularly,
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                X