Dexter 7000lb 12" NEV-R-ADJUST Brake Failure on 2021 GD 399TH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter 7000lb 12" NEV-R-ADJUST Brake Failure on 2021 GD 399TH

So after only year of ownership several of our brakes failed while coming down a mountain pass (super fun).

Tow Vehicle: 2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
    RV: 2021 GD Momentum 399TH

The issue initially presented as a "check trailer wiring" notification in the truck followed by a "trailer disconnected" notification this was followed by the truck brake control module ceasing to apply voltage to the trailer brakes; which is what the module is designed to do in order to prevent damage to the truck and trailer electrical system.

After searching the forums and chasing wires I finally pulled off the left rear wheel and took a look at the brake assembly. I found that the magnet had come loose and the wires were significantly frayed (see attached image). This most likely caused the initial notification in the truck. I thought I would check the other left side brake assemblies and found that the left front assembly was also damaged (this magnet had completely fallen off the mounting fixture and caused excessive wear of the fixture. Right middle has similar damage though not as severe. Bottom line is that I will need to replace all six brake assemblies.

I have sent an email to GD but it is a Sunday so no response until tomorrow. We full-time so this is a major inconvenience as you might imagine.

Has anyone else had issues with their brake assemblies falling apart after only a short time of use? I am wondering if this is a wider issue.

The assemblies came with the axles when GD manufactured the RV the axel information is:
    Model No. 9730644
    S/N Front: 13222034602X
    S/N Middle: 13222034602I
    S/N Rear: 13222034602S

Thank you for any insight.

Dave

Davidmlalanne -- only .02 I have is since repairs are necessary, consider spending the extra money to get disc brakes. There are numerous testimonials here on this forum (mine included) that the best safety upgrade money an owner can spend is on the brakes.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Davidmlalanne View Post
      Has anyone else had issues with their brake assemblies falling apart after only a short time of use? I am wondering if this is a wider issue.
      Dave,

To answer your question, this is not a widely reported issue, especially with less than a year on the rig. Disk brakes are a terrific option as Howard points out. But if you go with replacement drum brakes, I wouldn't expect a similar failure.

Your example is a terrific reminder for owners to check their brakes and bearings once a year.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Davidmlalanne View Post
        So after only year of ownership several of our brakes failed while coming down a mountain pass (super fun).

Tow Vehicle: 2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW
        RV: 2021 GD Momentum 399TH

The issue initially presented as a "check trailer wiring" notification in the truck followed by a "trailer disconnected" notification this was followed by the truck brake control module ceasing to apply voltage to the trailer brakes; which is what the module is designed to do in order to prevent damage to the truck and trailer electrical system.

After searching the forums and chasing wires I finally pulled off the left rear wheel and took a look at the brake assembly. I found that the magnet had come loose and the wires were significantly frayed (see attached image). This most likely caused the initial notification in the truck. I thought I would check the other left side brake assemblies and found that the left front assembly was also damaged (this magnet had completely fallen off the mounting fixture and caused excessive wear of the fixture. Right middle has similar damage though not as severe. Bottom line is that I will need to replace all six brake assemblies.

I have sent an email to GD but it is a Sunday so no response until tomorrow. We full-time so this is a major inconvenience as you might imagine.

The assemblies came with the axles when GD manufactured the RV the axel information is:
        Model No. 9730644
        S/N Front: 13222034602X
        S/N Middle: 13222034602I
        S/N Rear: 13222034602S

Thank you for any insight.

Dave
        Sorry to hear of your problems Dave.

GD will probably refer you to Dexter, so you may want to contact them at the same time. I have had good response from then in the past. From my very limited experience it appears the wiring clip came loose allowing the wiring to rub against the rotating drum. However in the pictures I do not see where that clip was attached in the first place. Hope you get it resolved soon.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update:

Spoke with GD and was informed to have a Truck and Trailer mobile repair service repair the brakes and then for me to submit a claim to GD for reimbursement. I have a company out of Lexington, KY coming out tomorrow to do the work. I'll post a review of their work once it is completed. Thanks for all the input. I will probably swap out to disc brakes once I have brake repairs that fall on my dime.

Comment

Working...
          X