No announcement yet.

Bolts missing on disc brake Momentum 320G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on this issue, Dexter is warrantying the repairs needed with new parts, they just have not committed to replacing the rim. They want to know the price on the rim, which I have found out after a lot of calling and searching, one can not buy just the rim, you can only buy it with a new tire mounted on it. Seems kinda stupid as my tire is still good. Contacted several shops on possible repairing the rim, but no one wants to touch it.

2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Wileykid -- try Bontrager's Surplus in White Pigeon, MI. 866-483-7017 Went there today (got a bunch of minor stuff) and there is a whole section outside with used wheels.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
        Update on this issue, Dexter is warrantying the repairs needed with new parts, they just have not committed to replacing the rim. They want to know the price on the rim, which I have found out after a lot of calling and searching, one can not buy just the rim, you can only buy it with a new tire mounted on it. Seems kinda stupid as my tire is still good. Contacted several shops on possible repairing the rim, but no one wants to touch it.
        Have you tried Lionshead Tire and Wheel in Elkhart?

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Have you tried Lionshead Tire and Wheel in Elkhart?

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/

Jim
          Yes, they only sell to retail business. Calling around, and to LionsHead confirmed it. Apparently GD has switched the style of rims used on the Momentum from the Phoenix to the Lynx. You can buy just the Lynx rim without the tire, but the rim is different enough that it would stand out and drive me crazy. Have been unsuccessful in finding an aftermarket rim that is close.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Dexter is going to cover it, especially due to the damage being caused by the caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Wileykid -- try Bontrager's Surplus in White Pigeon, MI. 866-483-7017 Went there today (got a bunch of minor stuff) and there is a whole section outside with used wheels.
            Thanks, I will give them a call.

Comment

Why not just get a wheel and tire from Grand Design parts? It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have a spare tire . . .

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	88D1BBBC-7A9A-49C5-B374-A710C384F01A.png
Views:	314
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	92759
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob, buy the set and keep your damaged wheel as a second spare. Or put your old tire on the new rim and keep the new tire loose so you only need to buy three when you buy tires down the road.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I did order a new tire/rim yesterday, I was just hoping to find a less expensive option. The old rim will be sold to a recycler, as the structural integrity is questionable. Thank you for the great idea ncitro, I will swap the old tire onto the new rim to keep all the tires at the same mileage, and keep the new one as an additional spare and one less new tire to buy in the future.

Quote for the rim/tire from the dealer was just shy of $200 more than Etrailer, and they said it would be 4-8 weeks due to being out of stock. Ordered from Etrailer yesterday, and it is already shipped, due early next week.

Comment

All my parts came in yesterday, and although I was going to use a mobile tech to do the job, it looks simple enough that I may just do it. I need to replace the hydraulic line that goes to the caliper, and taking it off was a chore. Seems they use gorilla's to tighten nuts on the lines. Ended up needing to use the trusty vise grips on the nut (part that will be replaced), because even with the proper size wrench, it was starting to round the nut. Need to visit some shops around me and get a replacement line due to the metal ends of the line being bent.

Two questions for everyone. First is I have never done a bleed on a hydraulic system on a trailer, any tricks or differences from a car/bike? I am going to use my neighbor to manually apply brake pressure via the brake controller in the truck. Second is, what is the name and type of black sealant they use for the hole where the brake line comes through the belly cover, and seals the cover around the spring hanger.

Thanks

Comment

Bleed brakes the same as a automobile.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Wileykid

Bleeding trailer brakes is actually much easier than auto/truck brakes because the actuator can be powered up to provide hydraulic pressure by pulling the break-away pin. Several years ago, I put together a summary of my installation of EoH brakes. Page 25 is my version of how to bleed the brake system.

Rob

Hydraulic Brake Installation - Rob Farrow.pdf
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Wileykid May be that the installer used Loctite on the threads to prevent leaks.

Good luck on the repair.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            Wileykid

Bleeding trailer brakes is actually much easier than auto/truck brakes because the actuator can be powered up to provide hydraulic pressure by pulling the break-away pin. Several years ago, I put together a summary of my installation of EoH brakes. Page 25 is my version of how to bleed the brake system.

Rob

[ATTACH]n93140[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks for that PDF. I did think about using the break-away pin, but was thinking that I would have more control using the manual system. Luckily, I don't think I will need to bleed the other three calipers.

I should be able to get everything done today, except it doesn't look like I will get the replacement brake hose until Monday or so. It took GD parts two days to find the part, and part number, only to be out of stock. Did find it at Etrailer. The only difference is the Etrailer one has a brass fitting, where the original is stainless. Don't think that will make a difference. I did find a company that makes brake hoses, and plan on visiting them tomorrow, if that doesn't work out, I will order from Etrailer.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Got everything fixed and put together today except one flex brake hose that I am waiting on. The only thing that was difficult was the bracket (called an anchor yoke), that holds the caliper to the axle was a bear to bolt on. There is a shoulder that it sits on, slightly wider than the axle tube, along with the four bolts. I seems to be a compression fit along with the bolts, although Dexter when I called couldn't give me an answer. I just filed a small amount of metal off to make a ramp and used the bolts to get it into the proper place. The bolts I got from a commercial trailer place is a lot nicer then the ones Dexter uses. It is a flange nut that is internally tapered slightly, to lock it on.

One thing that anyone with the 8K axle and disc brake should do before another trip. Check the bolts on that bracket at the axle, I found at least two on each hub not tight. The spec for them is 75 ft lbs per Dexter, but each of the ones I found were probably 30-40 ft lbs.

Comment

Wileykid

I would be surprised if you can get away with bleeding only the one brake. Air bubbles migrate to the high points in an open system and reduce braking ability because they are compressible. If braking does not return to what it was before, I would recommend bleeding all brakes in the correct sequence. In my case, it was important to get the cross axle hoses as horizontal as possible to purge all the air.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X