Why this Tire Wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why this Tire Wear?

I have a 2022 295RL. Approximate 4400 miles on it front right tire is worn on outer edge. Other tires are wearing ok . Any ideas I’ve changed our tire I’m still 2000mles from home first 2 pictures of worn tire 3 picture is right rear .left side looks same as right rear Click image for larger version

Name:	77492882-1F50-4556-965E-F7D09BCE3BC4.jpeg
Views:	654
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	92452 Click image for larger version

Name:	0FEC5C9C-270D-4ACA-BE79-C7249364E7FF.jpeg
Views:	778
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	92450 Click image for larger version

Name:	A6BA3C0A-3138-43CF-A420-2071FA767796.jpeg
Views:	644
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	92451

I would guess a bent spindle. Did you hit a rather large pot hole or bump? How do the springs and hangers look?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Has anyone used a floor jack to lift the rig by the axle? This could bend the axle and result in the outside tire wear you are experiencing. Otherwise for a rig with low miles, this could be a spindle alignment issue from manufacturing.

Jim
      Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-14-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Mine rig had a misaligned spindle and scrubbed off the tire's edge in less than 1,000 miles. The spindle could have been bent due to a road hazard or poor alignment during manufacturing. I just replaced the axle. It was about a 90 minute job.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I just replaced the axle. It was about a 90 minute job.

Jim
          Wow...impressive. I have changed axles but not as efficiently as you. Did you have three or four Red Bulls before the swap?

I agree with your decision. Install a new axle.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            Wow...impressive. I have changed axles but not as efficiently as you. Did you have three or four Red Bulls before the swap?

I agree with your decision. Install a new axle.
            LOL. I cheated. I installed a new axle that was complete and ready roll. Brakes, bearings, etc. were already installed.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, that's still impressive. It took me and the road mechanic 4 hrs + to replace the 2 axles on the previous trailer. They were direct replacements supplied by Dexter (original axles were also Dexters).

New axles were complete with springs and shackles. All new hardware supplied also (including lug nuts).
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Springs and hangers look good I changed tire put jack on frame and lifted. I’ll add to the list that dealer needs to look at in September .Both axles have a bow in them don’t know if this is a manufacture this way for loading or another issue.
                Thanks for your input
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
                  Springs and hangers look good I changed tire put jack on frame and lifted. I’ll add to the list that dealer needs to look at in September .Both axles have a bow in them don’t know if this is a manufacture this way for loading or another issue.
                  Thanks for your input
                  Bob
                  The axles should have an upward bow in the middle, both should have the same arch. Any other bow or arch would not be good, as well as straight. The arch is designed in to handle the load.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Follow up on tire ware . The RV dealer we bought the trailer from has had my trailer for a month . When we call to inquire about progress on it their answer is we’ve taken measurements an submitted them to GrandDesign and are waiting to hear back.That was 3 weeks ago. How long does it take Grand Design to respond? I suspect their try to patronize me into thinking they actually did something. On another note I. have a review camera by Lippert that has a case # and authorization to replace it but they say their waiting for approval.

Comment

Follow up on tire ware . The RV dealer we bought the trailer from has had my trailer for a month . When we call to inquire about progress on it their answer is we’ve taken measurements an submitted them to GrandDesign and are waiting to hear back.That was 3 weeks ago. How long does it take Grand Design to respond? I suspect their try to patronize me into thinking they actually did something. On another note I. have a review camera by Lippert that has a case # and authorization to replace it but they say their waiting for approval.
                      You can call Grand Design Customer Service and with your VIN they will should have a record of your case if the dealer is being straight with you.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lippert responded to my request and authorization for camera had been approved at time of my contact with them at the end of June. Repair shop had authorization but still told me it I need to come in and show them what camera picture looked like on my phone. Grand Design has the measurements on trailer axles as I confirmed it with them. Although the dates dealer told me they were submitted 1st week of October GrandDesign received them on the 19th. I also verified it with dexter axle. Now I wii give them another week to see what progress has been made..

Comment

We had a similar situation on our previous 5th wheel when it was nearly new. I took the trailer to a local alignment shop that dealt with trailers and trucks rather than going through what you are going through with the dealer. Had it back in a couple days for minimal cost. Good luck with the repair..
                          Dennis
                          Dennis & Sharon
                          2019 GMC 2500HD Denali
                          2022 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Although the dates dealer told me they were submitted 1st week of October GrandDesign received them on the 19th..
                            Well...that give a little insight as to the 'quality' of your dealer. Now it will be tough to believe the next thing they say.....
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I heard back from dexter axle and grand design they agreed to replace both axles parts only .So I’m still on the hook for about 4 hours labor at 210 an hour . They call it a one time customer courtesy. I have an extended warranty on trailer and will se if they will cover some of the labor

Comment

Working...
                              X