Disc Brake Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    howson Howard, One thing I think you may need to do if possible is to get the brakes installed on CLEAN rotors, Then before they rust, hook the trailer to the TV and find a SAFE PLACE to make several stops from 50-60 mph to 0. I do not think the brakes were bedded to the rotors (this will help with rusting).

To Bed the pads to the rotors, start by bringing the TV and TT up to say 50 mph, then using the hand actuator, bring the combination down to 0 mph at a fairly aggressive (not complete panic) rate. Do this 2-3 times rapidly without allowing the rotor to cool completely. After 2-3 successful stops, allow the brakes a few minutes to cool, then bring the combination up to speed and stop normally a couple of times. You may or may not notice increased performance from the TT, but proper bedding of the pads will help with wear.
    I didn't do this with the last set so I'll give it a go! Unfortunately will be a bit before I will be out with the trailer again.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard, since you referenced this in another thread, how are your pads fairing now? Did you get a chance to bed the rotors and pads? Did you find a way to massage the tabs that stick through the holes to help tighten them.

Also, after going through the thread again, the wear indicators ideally should be facing the same way. since you used 1 box to do 1 side you essentially used what should have been 1 axle kit which would have put the indicators in the same spot. In a pinch you could have put one on the inside and one on the outside putting both in the same spot. IIRC the indicators make a much easier to hear noise when oriented the proper way (I have to look it up each time since I don't do brakes very often any more).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        howson Howard, since you referenced this in another thread, how are your pads fairing now? Did you get a chance to bed the rotors and pads? Did you find a way to massage the tabs that stick through the holes to help tighten them.

Also, after going through the thread again, the wear indicators ideally should be facing the same way. since you used 1 box to do 1 side you essentially used what should have been 1 axle kit which would have put the indicators in the same spot. In a pinch you could have put one on the inside and one on the outside putting both in the same spot. IIRC the indicators make a much easier to hear noise when oriented the proper way (I have to look it up each time since I don't do brakes very often any more).
        No, I forgot to bed the pads. On a trip now, so later this fall I'll be tearing everything apart to inspect. I'll try to remember to update this thread (which I just read again this morning, too).
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
        X