Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Wear

My after-trip inspections continue!

Some may remember the new pads installed prior to the trip (and bearings) and all the drama associated with that as documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-along-the-way

I'm trying to measure brake wear without pulling the caliper or pads. (The wheels are obviously off.)

What I did was stick a feeler gauge up where I could plainly see the pad body frame and measured to the disc face. On the front pad I measured 5.664mm. On the rear pad, 7.264mm. So again the outboard pad is wearing faster than the inboard. (There are ~8.8k miles on the new pads.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221012-150203_Gallery[1].jpg
Views:	273
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	96951

According to autochimps.com the front pad has experienced "moderate wear" in what I think is relatively few miles. Even the outer pad is experiencing more wear than I'd expect. (The original brakes on my 2013 Honda Odyssey lasted 80K miles and they still had life in them! The F-350's brakes were replaced at 52K and weren't completely worn out, either.)

Graphic taken from https://autochimps.com/brake-pad-thickness/

Name:	chimp.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	96950

Probably not an not apples-to-apples comparison between the trailer and my vehicles, but should the trailer's brakes experience this much wear on the pads after 8K miles?

Is my inspection method even valid?

Thanks for any and all inputs--I do not have a lot of hands-on experience in this area.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

So I went out and measured again but used a caliper to measure the feeler gauge to ensure I was being accurate and consistent. I'm fairly confident in the measuring methodology, but I'm still shocked at the wear and hoping for some input and opinions.

Name:	yikes.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	96965
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

The only thing that I can think of to check is to make sure that the caliper is sliding easily. There are 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place and these also allow the caliper to slide when pressure is applied. The inside pad is actuated by the piston when it contacts the brake disc the outside pad is then pulled to the disc. When pressure is released the outside pad should "move" slightly away from the disc, inside pad also. If the caliper is sticking in position then it will wear the outside pad more than the inside pad. With the wheel off if you stick a screwdriver or small pry bar between the caliper and inside pad steel plate and pry this should relieve pressure on the system and you can check to see if the caliper moves freely, careful not to damage the disc or pad. If the caliper does not move freely then you should remove the 2 bolts and clean and grease so the caliper slides freely. And you thought disc brakes were going to be trouble free. Definitely easier to work on but still requires maintenance.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Thanks for any and all inputs--I do not have a lot of hands-on experience in this area.
        Howard,

This may be due to the gain being a bit too high. Inside pads almost exclusively will wear at a higher rate than the outside. This is due to the inside pistons having to engage the inside pad on the rotor first which moves the caliper across its pins to engage the outside pads. As much as we would like this activation to be perfect, it rarely is.

Jim
        Last edited by howson; 10-12-2022, 06:04 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

Guest -- I was wondering about the gain level. In other words the trailer is doing too much of the work to stop everything.

Country Campers -- I suspect the pins are part of the problem, too. I found them severely corroded last time. After watching several YouTube videos I'm going to replace both the bushings and the slide pins this time. Hopefully the parts are easy to obtain. I'll find out tomorrow at my local auto parts store.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Hi Howard,

You have “reinvented” the brake pad feeler gauge which is a fairly common tool.

I would agree with the advice from Brian and Jim . . . and your plan to get the caliper sliding more freely.

Rob

Name:	6B6698E3-44AD-409B-87F4-BB9475F006F7.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	96999
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My after-trip inspections continue!
              I just replaced my disk brake pads and repacked my wheel bearings. Although I probably could have gotten another couple of thousand miles out of these pads, I was in an RV park where I COULD replace them so I did. Our new trailer came from Indiana with Morryde IS and disk brakes installed. Including the mileage from the factory, my trailer has 21,000 miles on it in 23 months. "Home" is Seattle. But we like to spend time in Florida. Here is a picture of the worn-out pads next to the new pads. I'm sorry that I didn't measure them. As with EVERY other set of disk brakes I've ever replaced, the piston side is always worn more.

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	97012 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2011.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	97013

Pat and Karen
              2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

pengle

Disc brake longevity is not something I can remember discussing here. Thanks for the data point--obviously mine are wearing way to quickly as I suspected.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard, if you do not have the original measurement of the pad thickness, you have lost a critical data point.

I might also suggest a https://www.amazon.com/JONMON-Taper-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== for the gap measurement. Simple to use, the marks represent the width at that line. Shove it into the gap of the pad backer or into the inspection groove of the pad and read the line.

Looking at Pat's picture it appears the original pads are of different thickness. By chance did you mix up the pads and put two thin ones on the caliper you are measuring?
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Its possible that the manufacturer of the disc brake system favors a softer, faster wearing pad in order to give the rotors a longer life, a pad slap is easier than replacing rotors.
                    Everything is a compromise.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                      Its possible that the manufacturer of the disc brake system favors a softer, faster wearing pad in order to give the rotors a longer life, a pad slap is easier than replacing rotors.
                      Everything is a compromise.
                      I went from the OEM ceramic to a semi-metallic pad when I changed them prior to the trip last summer (when I found the guide pins frozen, apparently never lubed upon initial installation). The braking performance was superior with the semi-metallics, but I think you may be right about them wearing too quickly for the application. I just ordered the OEM Kodiak pads (stupid expensive) and also have guide pins, sleeves, and bushings on the way. Expensive maintenance--hopefully this time it will (finally) be right.

Thanks for the input.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I went from the OEM ceramic to a semi-metallic pad when I changed them prior to the trip last summer (when I found the guide pins frozen, apparently never lubed upon initial installation). The braking performance was superior with the semi-metallics, but I think you may be right about them wearing too quickly for the application. I just ordered the OEM Kodiak pads (stupid expensive) and also have guide pins, sleeves, and bushings on the way. Expensive maintenance--hopefully this time it will (finally) be right.

Thanks for the input.
                        Good luck. Take pics and keep us posted. Also, what lube is recommended for the pins?
                        2018 337RLS
                        720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                        disc brakes, ems

Comment

The braking performance was superior with the semi-metallics
                          Hmmm . . . better braking with the significantly less expensive pads would seem like a good deal, even if replacement is more frequent. When you get the slide pin lubrication sorted out, replacing brake pads is an easy part of pulling the hubs for bearing maintenance since you have to remove the calipers anyway. Maybe every second time?

BTW . . . (this may be obvious) but, the caliper slide lubrication goes on the outside of the steel sleeve where the rubber bushing is. Some calipers slide on the bolts, so the bolts are greased, but not these ones. There is a special high temperature grease for brake caliper sildes.

Rob

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 11.45.09 AM.png
Views:	386
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	97047

Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            BTW . . . (this may be obvious) but, the caliper slide lubrication goes on the outside of the steel sleeve where the rubber bushing is. Some calipers slide on the bolts, so the bolts are greased, but not these ones. There is a special high temperature grease for brake caliper sildes.
                            Thank you, Rob--I had no idea. Perhaps that's why the slides froze again because last time I lubricated the pins and not the sleeves?

To make sure I understand, I'm going to lubricate (with the right grease!) the outside of the sleeves as shown in the pic below (arrow pointing to them) NOT the pins (which I've marked with an X). Nothing goes on the pins prior to inserting into the sleeve?

Name:	lube here.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	97069

Howard & Francine

Comment

Hi Howard,

Nothing wrong with a little bit of grease on the bolts (8) to make sure they don’t seize in the sleeves (7) but the sleeves should be polished on the outside and well coated with grease before inserting into clean bushings (4). I also put blue loctite on the tip of the bolt before inserting into the caliper bracket threads.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X