Self-Adjusting Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Adjusting Brakes

I have a new 2022 Grand Design Reflection 150 280RS 5th wheel RV trailer (delivered 6/2/22 tandem axle 10995 GVWR) with self-adjusting brakes. Do these brakes need to be manually adjusted after an initial break-in period so that they will self-adjust thereafter? Or will they self-adjust as delivered from the manufacturer?
    Dave & Mary Wichita, Kansas
    2022 Reflection 150 280RS
    2022 RAM 2500 4x2 SB Crew Cab Hemi 4.10 Axle Air Suspension
    Companion OEM Slider set over the axle at 17"
    Leer HF650M Tonneau Cover

You may want to check them to make sure they are adjusted correctly to start. If they are working good now then you should be ok.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have a Reflection with the self adjusting brakes. Never adjusted them. Now, about 15,000 miles and they are looking and working great.

Comment

Your rig was driven nearly 800 miles from Indiana to Kansas, so the self adjusting process should be complete. Jack each wheel up independently and see if there is some resistance from the brakes dragging while rolling the tire. If so, you're good. If not, then you can always manually adjust them.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I always do a trailer brake test as I'm beginning a trip. When going about 10 mph down our street I'll trigger the trailer brakes using the brake controller. You can certainly feel if they are working or not.

If they need some adjustment (as mine did after the brake work), simply stop your vehicle, put it in reverse, apply the trailer brakes with your brake controller and slowly back up about 5 to 10 feet. Then release the trailer brakes, pull forward and test the trailer brakes again. You should feel a significant difference. If it's still not enough, repeat.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I thought that backing up did not adjust the self adjusting brakes?, maybe I misunderstood that.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              I thought that backing up did not adjust the self adjusting brakes?, maybe I misunderstood that.

Brian
              Well, that how I was taught by the tech...and it worked great for me. I hope it doesn't do damage lol
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Well, that how I was taught by the tech...and it worked great for me. I hope it doesn't do damage lol
                Maybe I am confusing the new "automatic adjust" with the "self adjust", who knows what I think sometimes.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

just a minor point to clarify - self adjusting trailer brakes adjust when the brakes are applied and the trailer is moving forward. This is totally opposite of the self adjusting drum brakes on cars and trucks that some of us had years ago, these adjusted when the brakes were applied and the vehicle was backing up.

Vehicles without trailers back up fairly frequently and stop moving backwards with a fairly hard application of the brakes necessary to activate the self adjusters. Trailers are backed infrequently and usually very slowly with minimal braking effort rendering reverse self adjusting brakes ineffective.

Just guessing, but someone decided a long time ago that on cars and trucks forward self adjusting brakes would end up over adjusting (too tight) the brakes.

[(QUOTE=acoleman43;n97028]I always do a trailer brake test as I'm beginning a trip. When going about 10 mph down our street I'll trigger the trailer brakes using the brake controller. You can certainly feel if they are working or not.

If they need some adjustment (as mine did after the brake work), simply stop your vehicle, put it in reverse, apply the trailer brakes with your brake controller and slowly back up about 5 to 10 feet. Then release the trailer brakes, pull forward and test the trailer brakes again. You should feel a significant difference. If it's still not enough, repeat. [/QUOTE]
                  Last edited by colan; 10-15-2022, 12:56 AM.
                  Colan Arnold
                  2016 Momentum 397TH
                  Full time since 2016

Comment

If youre braking is less than adequate you may want to inspect them for overzealous greasing. My last 3 trailers had the special brakes with the grease all over them from being power greased.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Just an FYI, the "self adjusting brakes" adjust in both directions these days. Next time you do maintenance, give it a close look you will see how it works.
                      Jim (& Sharon)
                      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                      The toys:
                      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                      X