TPMS - Aftermarket Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGEarley View Post

howson or Yoda: I'm in the process of buying a 2020 Ford F250 & GD Reflection 150 260RD; the Ford dealer pointed out the sensors only work on wheels with a .452" diameter valve stem. I take it you didn't have any trouble with it working on your wheels?
    Short answer: I've towed my '17 Ford F-350 DRW Platinum / '19 315RLTS combo well over 10K miles with the TPMS installed--no issues.

More details
    My '19 315RLTS has what appears to be "Jaguar" Lionshead wheels. On etrailer.com the valve individuals have purchased to go along with that wheel has two optional grommets, one .453" and one ..625". I am not an expert on wheels or valves, my personal experience is if a similar grommet is on my wheels that .001" difference has made no difference. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...a/AM20906.html

Let me repeat for emphasis that I have no idea what, if any, grommets were used when the sensors were installed by the local Walmart Tire and Auto Center. They didn't have any problem or question with mounting the sensors. What I can say from first-hand experience is I've never had an issue with the tires holding pressure.

Txfivver (Jeff) -- anything you can add to this discussion?

Yoda (Keith)-- in case you missed the earlier tag from RGEarley.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum, RGEarley!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Short answer: I've towed my '17 Ford F-350 DRW Platinum / '19 315RLTS combo well over 10K miles with the TPMS installed--no issues.

More details
      My '19 315RLTS has what appears to be "Jaguar" Lionshead wheels. On etrailer.com the valve individuals have purchased to go along with that wheel has two optional grommets, one .453" and one ..625". I am not an expert on wheels or valves, my personal experience is if a similar grommet is on my wheels that .001" difference has made no difference. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...a/AM20906.html

Let me repeat for emphasis that I have no idea what, if any, grommets were used when the sensors were installed by the local Walmart Tire and Auto Center. They didn't have any problem or question with mounting the sensors. What I can say from first-hand experience is I've never had an issue with the tires holding pressure.

Txfivver (Jeff) -- anything you can add to this discussion?

Yoda (Keith)-- in case you missed the earlier tag from RGEarley.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum, RGEarley!
      Thanks Howard - When I ordered my replacement wheels through Discount tire I asked about valve stems. Was told they carry what is needed. He also mentioned they have sensors compatible with the ford system when the time comes. As I too know nothing about these, except to check the tire on the DW's car when the display lights up. By the time I get my truck ordered it will all change again anyway .

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Howard - When I ordered my replacement wheels through Discount tire I asked about valve stems. Was told they carry what is needed. He also mentioned they have sensors compatible with the ford system when the time comes. As I too know nothing about these, except to check the tire on the DW's car when the display lights up. By the time I get my truck ordered it will all change again anyway .

Keith
        I had Discount Tire overall the Ford sensors when I had new tires installed. I mentioned that I had heard that different valve stems might be needed and he said if they were they’d have them. I also told them they’d need to be metal for the psi required. When I picked it up he said there was no issue, and I was not charged for valve stems. Have over 10,000 miles on them with no leaks. Saved my bacon when I picked up a bolt at a truck stop in Montana, got off the road and changed the tire before it exploded and did any damage. I’m a true believer now.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Got the heads up Howard, thanks. I have not installed the factory tire sensors in my Solitude yet but everything I've read says the 16" Solitude rims take the bigger .625 valve stems, the Ford kit comes with the smaller ones. I plan on ordering them form Nichols as several on here have done. Nice to know that Discount Tire will install them, I will call my local one I use and see if they have the bigger stems. The Ford kit is slick though, especially the backup camera displaying in the dash. The pro trailer backup in the '20's is amazing also. Once set up you can back the trailer in a dead straight line for a mile if you want to, the truck does all the work!
          Last edited by howson; 07-18-2020, 12:05 PM. Reason: Edited at OP's request.
          Jeff
          2019 Solitude 375 RES
          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I had posted when we were placing the truck order. I went ahead and ordered the Ford TPMS. The truck isn’t in yet, may not be until November so guess I won’t know for sure until then. It’s good to know Discout tire can help me out. I called the tire dealer I usually use, and they told me they don’t do (“trailers” or “RV”s, I can’t remember if I used the term RV on the phone or exactly how they worded the response). howson and. Yoda first hand experience is more valuable on this than expert knowledge. I’ll try to remember to update this after I try to get the sensors installed.

Ray
            2021 Reflection 260 RD
            2020 Ford F-250

Comment

Working...
            X