Propane line disintegrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane line disintegrating

I did a search but didn’t find anything.

Parked in our driveway and prepping for our next outing tomorrow I turned on the propane and primed the stove like I do before each trip. All was good. Went in the house and came back later but smelled propane. Checked regulator, turned off propane at the bottle, waited about 15 mins and turned it back on. Smell continued.

Started tracing the outlet line and found the problem. Two holes in a line, see photo with yellow circles. It appears to just have broken down over time; bought the trailer new in 11/2019. The green half circle is another area that appears to be ready to flake off.

Any suggestions for repairs?
    Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B798833-E679-4207-9EEE-FB1CC07E9070.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	118178

Name:	1DB8E9D5-6F0F-4A8A-B1F9-59C12051444A.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	118179
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

You will have to disconnect the other end and then pull it down thru the floor, then you can unscrew it from the block. If you have a shop around that will make a gas line that will be great, if not you will have to find one already made up. I am not sure if RV dealers carry any premade lines, most of the ones that I have seen are the shorter ones around the tanks. A welding supply company may be able to help you or lead you into a direction.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I added a line for something and was able to have it made at a propane dealership.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I isolated the line and it goes to the HWH. The female brass nut won’t budge should I try to unscrew where the elbow goes into the flame chamber (for lack of a better description)

Name:	1FB93317-CC04-437D-8CE1-3628FEE6E97A.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	118192
        2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        Andersen WDH
        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

I would not try to remove that elbow, it looks pretty well stuck to me and with my luck, well you know.

Take a pair of pliers and try to twist the crimp on the hose end, that might free the nut up, or get a longer wrench for the nut, remember to hold the elbow securely.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree, that elbow would be the last thing I attack.

You may want to consider a set of https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81...s%2C120&sr=8-1 before you round off the flare nut.

One other thing I have had luck with as odd an strange as it sounds is to start by trying to tighten the nut. Then if it moves, 1/2 turn off, 1/4 back on for a round or two to help dislodge debris that may be in the threads. If you feel resistance when just trying to straight take it off, stop, spray, reverse direction, spray, then proceed.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I second the opinion to stay away from the elbow. A pipe wrench could be a good option. It will trash the fitting, but should not slip if you can get it on, they grab tighter the harder you pull...
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I’ve tried PB Blaster and let it set for 15 mins, tried twisting the crimp, but can’t get the nut to budge one way or the other. I’m going to let it set for now since we won’t need propane for this trip then revisit it.

Upon further inspection I’m thinking the line damage might have been caused by squirrels. There’s been a new litter hanging around lately and looking more closely at the holes it appears there are small teeth marks. I’m making up a homemade batch of pepper spray now.

I like the idea of the gear wrenches. Will have to get a set.
                2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                Andersen WDH
                2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Can you take a picture of the distribution block? that almost looks like the unthreaded one that they used for a while.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Pardon the aluminum on the side, wrapped the lines until the pepper spray is ready.

Name:	F711B31B-698B-4B07-80FB-CC422768696F.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	118213
                    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    Andersen WDH
                    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger1 View Post
                      I did a search but didn’t find anything.

Parked in our driveway and prepping for our next outing tomorrow I turned on the propane and primed the stove like I do before each trip. All was good. Went in the house and came back later but smelled propane. Checked regulator, turned off propane at the bottle, waited about 15 mins and turned it back on. Smell continued.

Started tracing the outlet line and found the problem. Two holes in a line, see photo with yellow circles. It appears to just have broken down over time; bought the trailer new in 11/2019. The green half circle is another area that appears to be ready to flake off.

Any suggestions for repairs?
                      Thanks for the help.

Name:	2B798833-E679-4207-9EEE-FB1CC07E9070.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	118178

Name:	1DB8E9D5-6F0F-4A8A-B1F9-59C12051444A.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	118179
                      Mice. Given the location of the sewer line below I can see them standing on it chewing on the pipes. Do you have other signs of mice in the trailer?
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks for the picture. Glad you have the threaded on and not the push in as those are "not available" to the public last time someone was looking.

Might be time to get out the heat gun (not a torch) to warm the connections and see if you can get them to break loose.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

That threaded does not have a swivel, so if one end is not the end it can be tricky to get them replaced (assuming you ever break the threads loose). Once you break them loose and are sure you are replacing it I would cut the line so you can freely turn it. You should be able to source a replacement with a swivel to make reinstall easier.

Neil Citro

Comment

Yoda
                            “Mice. Given the location of the sewer line below I can see them standing on it chewing on the pipes. Do you have other signs of mice in the trailer?”

Yep, it’s a perfect perch. No problems with mice in the trailer though but have seen a couple of baby squirrels going under the trailer this past week. If I only knew what they were up to…..

Jlawles2
                            ”Might be time to get out the heat gun (not a torch) to warm the connections and see if you can get them to break loose​“

I will give this a try when we get back from our trip next week.

ncitro
                            Yeah, I did cut the line already.

The hose length I need is 5ft. Home Depot sells one but need to order. Does this look like it would work?
                            https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heate...3717/306090228

Also, the black rubber used to seal the hole at the HWH where the line enters on the left will need to be cut. Any idea where I can get that or will spray foam work?
                            2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                            Andersen WDH
                            2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Tigger1 That's probably just a black silicone. I like https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-10026-...hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=11811107958108930311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qm t=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027814&h v targid=pla-308490592451&psc=1 as it's a bit thicker than normal silicon and it will bridge a pretty good gap.

Name:	image.png
Views:	164
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	118292
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...