Propane automatic shut off valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane automatic shut off valve

Hello all, has anyone used this on their rig? Thanks for the advice...
    2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
    2022 Solitude 3330RE
    Cindy & Xena

We have one on each 30 lb tank. I especially use them when taking the tanks down for refills. A little piece of mind during transport.

Comment

I don't. What do you want it for? In case you rupture a line?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

The valve built into the propane tank has an overflow shutoff, but this has a small bleed (when connected to a hose) to equalize pressure and allow the main valve to open. My understanding (and I don't have first hand experience) is that the device you are considering will shut off this small equalizing bleed.

When there is nothing connected to the tank, the internal valve shuts off all flow, even if the manual valve is opened.

The "gauge" is of limited value because it is measuring vapour pressure rather than liquid level. It will wander around in the green zone depending on ambient temperature until the tank is almost empty, all liquid propane has evaporated inside the tank and vapour pressure begins to drop.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There is an excess flow valve, the 'leaky' check valve, in the hose fitting that screws onto the cylinder valve Acme thread outlet. As long as there is excess flow, this valve limits the flow of propane to minimize a fire hazard. It also comes into play when the downstream hose is empty or near empty and the cylinder valve is opened quickly. The built-in leaky bypass limits flow until the pressure is balanced across that valve and it then fully opens.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Question: will the GasStop work with an excess leak valve pigtail? GasStop defines macro leak for it to work is 70 cfh(cubic feet per hour). The pigtail excess flow valve bypass flow is about 10 cfh. Will the GasStop respond?
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
            X