Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when the propane tank is ten years old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when the propane tank is ten years old?

I filled one of the 30 pound propane tanks this morning. I read the posted notice while I waited and saw they won't fill 10 year old tanks. Mine will be ten years old next year. Can they be "refitted", or do they need to be replaced? Who does this kind of work?

Thanks, Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

You can have a propane tank “recertified” for another 10 years, whereby a qualified facility does an internal inspection and replaces the valve assembly. Unfortunately, the cost for this is often similar to the price of a new tank.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Propane cylinders are good for 12 years in the US. Are you in Canada?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        They require replacement in Canada after 10 years. Reminds me of leaving for a trip to Yellowstone a few years ago -2015 or 14. I went and topped up the less than full tank at a local Canadian Tire store. The propane guy said the tank is over ten years old. Needs a new valve. I said will you fill it anyway? He said 'Sure!'. So he filled the tank, I tipped him appropriately and went on our trip to Wyoming. I refilled a tank on that trip and just assumed the guy never checked the date..didn't know the reg was different in the States.
        Dave27 I had those tanks re-valved and recertified at Cal-Gas. Don't know if they still exist. Maybe check with Superior Propane or Sargent Propane? At the time, the cost was $70 for a new valve, re-cert stamping on the tank and filled with propane.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

You can buy new valves and replace them yourself. Then, have the tank recertified. I did that with some I got from my father-in-law. Valves are about $20, and around here recertification is $5.
          John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
          2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
          ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
          2017 Jayco 26BH
          2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
            You can buy new valves and replace them yourself. Then, have the tank recertified. I did that with some I got from my father-in-law. Valves are about $20, and around here recertification is $5.
            The recertification (at least in Canada) is based on an internal cleaning of accumulated compressor oil and a visual inspection. Then the new valve is installed, the collar re-stamped with new expiry date, the tank purged and filled and the new valve leak tested with soap solution. Installing a new valve yourself would not meet these requirements. Different jurisdictions . . . different requirements . . .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The recertification (at least in Canada) is based on an internal cleaning of accumulated compressor oil and a visual inspection. Then the new valve is installed, the collar re-stamped with new expiry date, the tank purged and filled and the new valve leak tested with soap solution. Installing a new valve yourself would not meet these requirements. Different jurisdictions . . . different requirements . . .

Rob
              Yep....location...location....location.
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                I'm in Michigan. I filled the tank at a hardware store I haven't used before. I haven't seen or at least noticed any similar requirement before. I don't know if it is a state or company requirement.

Thank you for the feedback. I now know I need to do something in the next 1 to 3 years.

Dave
                2016 Reflection 27RL
                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post

I'm in Michigan. I filled the tank at a hardware store I haven't used before. I haven't seen or at least noticed any similar requirement before. I don't know if it is a state or company requirement.

Thank you for the feedback. I now know I need to do something in the next 1 to 3 years.

Dave
                  I’m in the same boat, though I can still get mine filled. I’m going to contact my propane supplier and ask them. I don’t expect they do it, but I’m hoping they can tell me who does.
                  John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                    I filled one of the 30 pound propane tanks this morning. I read the posted notice while I waited and saw they won't fill 10 year old tanks. Mine will be ten years old next year. Can they be "refitted", or do they need to be replaced? Who does this kind of work?

Thanks, Dave
                    Dave
                    I just went to one of the tank exchange placed and swapped tanks. You know - the big exchange cages that have a lot of tanks that sell you a tank with 75% as full. . I try to find ones you can actually chose from those available and check dates.. That was for the 20 lb size (BBQ and my old trailer. . For the bigger ones check prices at HD and Lowes, and get them filled. Be sure to tell the filler its the first time as I believe they need to purge the new tank. Sometimes the propane places sell new filled tanks.

Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi
                      had mine recertified at the local propane company. 3 years ago now, cost was a little under half of what a new 30lb tank would have cost me. It was fairly quick and easy to do, I waited and when they were done they refilled it.

Also, just to point out, someone said recertification is good for 10 or years or 12 more years? My recertification was only good for 5 years, and I think that's nation wide.

Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
                      2021 GD 2670MK
                      2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Working...
                      X