Propane Crossover Tube, Fifth Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Crossover Tube, Fifth Wheel

All fifth wheels that have propane tanks on opposite sides have a steel square tube that travels from side to side thru the front storage area, near the ceiling. This tube, marked in white below, houses the propane line that is attached to the door side propane cylinder and goes to the auto change over regulator on the street side. When doing any kind of modification in the front storage, adding batteries, inverter, shelves, chargers and so on it is very important NOT to drill holes or insert screws into the tube, you more than likely will penetrate the propane line and cause a leak and a very hazardous situation. While looking for a place to move an item in my front storage I noticed this tube and thought that would be a great place for attachment, then after I figured out what the tube was for I changed the location, glad I took the time to look this over.

Passing this on so others will not think the same and start drilling holes.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane crossover.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	80981

Sorry that is the best picture I have.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

No kidding?! That's a nice tidbit of info that's good to know... thanks for sharing!
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Not sure of Grand Design always uses a square steel tube for the propane system in fifth wheels, but for what it's worth I believe on my in-laws FW (different brand), the pipe is a segment of ABS drainage pipe, with spray foam on the wall junctions.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        All fifth wheels that have propane tanks on opposite sides have a steel square tube that travels from side to side thru the front storage area, near the ceiling. This tube, marked in white below, houses the propane line that is attached to the door side propane cylinder and goes to the auto change over regulator on the street side. When doing any kind of modification in the front storage, adding batteries, inverter, shelves, chargers and so on it is very important NOT to drill holes or insert screws into the tube, you more than likely will penetrate the propane line and cause a leak and a very hazardous situation. While looking for a place to move an item in my front storage I noticed this tube and thought that would be a great place for attachment, then after I figured out what the tube was for I changed the location, glad I took the time to look this over.

Passing this on so others will not think the same and start drilling holes.

Name:	Propane crossover.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	80981

Sorry that is the best picture I have.

Brian
        OMG now you tell me.

Seriously Thank You for the warning. In my case I had no clue to even check that.

I have at lease two screws into the bottom of that cross pipe.

Name:	IMG_0778s.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	81060

Looks like I get to disassemble my cross over propane line and see what damaged I caused.

Name:	IMG_0774s.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	81061 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775s.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	81062

I don't smell propane, but that could be because the screw is plugging the hole and it works fine. Has anyone taken this line apart. It looks like the fittings will fit through the tube.

And now I get to figure out a new way to support my wiring too.

When you folks talk to GD this month ask them for safety to put a warning label on the cross tube. Something like "Warning crossover Propane line inside"

Thanks again Brian

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I think the warning sticker is a great idea, I will definately pass that on. Thanks Yoda .

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

OMG now you tell me.

Seriously Thank You for the warning. In my case I had no clue to even check that.

I have at lease two screws into the bottom of that cross pipe.

Name:	IMG_0778s.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	81060

Looks like I get to disassemble my cross over propane line and see what damaged I caused.

Name:	IMG_0774s.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	81061 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775s.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	81062

I don't smell propane, but that could be because the screw is plugging the hole and it works fine. Has anyone taken this line apart. It looks like the fittings will fit through the tube.

And now I get to figure out a new way to support my wiring too.

When you folks talk to GD this month ask them for safety to put a warning label on the cross tube. Something like "Warning crossover Propane line inside"

Thanks again Brian

Keith
            i took the line out of my 2014 337 while troubleshooting a propane problem one time. It's simply a flexible line with threads on each end. If you disconnect the connections on each side, it slides right out.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

i took the line out of my 2014 337 while troubleshooting a propane problem one time. It's simply a flexible line with threads on each end. If you disconnect the connections on each side, it slides right out.

Jim
              Its on the top of the to-do list once I get the hardwood floor installed and finished in the spare bedroom, otherwise SWMBO will have ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; well lets not go there

Jim - you make is sound so simple - can I possibly mess it up??????????????????

Thanks
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, with the line in there being flexible, the screws may not have damaged it YET. Even if you remove the screws, Mr. Murphy would be calling me later to let me know the penetration by the screw in the tube has rubbed a hole in the line. I would suspect if you could shoot expanding foam in there it would prevent the line from moving and rubbing through. Or try a piece of PVC pipe that fits over the ends of the crossover line but inside the tube.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Keith
                  X2 on the warning label. Simple schematics showing routing of utilities provided with owner's information package would be ideal. I know, customers have been asking for this for ever. I can't count the number of times I've fixed/installed something and wondered where the screw would land.

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Its on the top of the to-do list once I get the hardwood floor installed and finished in the spare bedroom, otherwise SWMBO will have ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; well lets not go there

Jim - you make is sound so simple - can I possibly mess it up??????????????????

Thanks
                    Keith
                    You really can't mess it up. But remember that it's secured with threads on each side. So if you try to unscrew it from one side, it will be tightening on the other. So you'll have to remove the components on one side before loosening the other.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

You really can't mess it up. But remember that it's secured with threads on each side. So if you try to unscrew it from one side, it will be tightening on the other. So you'll have to remove the components on one side before loosening the other.

Jim
                      I may get lucky as the fittings look to be swivel flairs. At least the curb side is (see photo above).

Comment

Jim
                        ...and tie a string to it so after you pull it out you will have an easy way to reinsert it.
                        Jim (& Sharon)
                        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                        The toys:
                        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post

...and tie a string to it so after you pull it out you will have an easy way to reinsert it.
                          When I removed mine, I was able to push it back with no problem.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                          X