Installation of solar charger disconnect on 22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of solar charger disconnect on 22MLE

It appears there is a need to install a disconnect breaker between the roof solar panel and the Furrion MPPT charge controller. Has anyone installed this disconnect on an Imagine 22 MLE. From the manual diagram, the disconnect should be installed able to interrupt the circuit between the solar panel and the controller and before an installed fuse. The wiring for my trailer is a little hard to trace. Not sure where this fuse is at, maybe behind the docking station control panel? Thanks

So, I believe I know the answer as to where Grand Design installed the fuse from the solar panel to the charge controller. They probably don’t know. It’s probably the same as the installation of the fresh water hoses and pex fittings - they didn’t go by any specific location. I think each manufacturing technician was given tools and materials and allowed to install as he saw fit. Every trailer is probably different

So I guess the important question now for anyone of electrical and solar background - Is it critical / imperative to install a disconnect breaker between the solar panel and the charge controller on a certain side of the fuse??

Comment

Sully

If the solar installation on your Imagine is OEM there's no fuse between the array and the (PV input) on the controller. There's no need if the maximum amperage output of the array is less than what the wiring can sustain. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...r-panel-arrays

However--I'm an advocate for a disconnect as the power on (or off) procedure calls for removing or enabling the power from the array to the controller. For the vast majority of solar configurations used by RV'ers a Blue Sea 6006 will work fine. (Key is the open voltage rating of the array--can't exceed the 48V rating of the switch.)

The battery input should absolutely have a safety device (breaker or fuse) between the battery bank and the solar controller.

In Yoda's thread there's alternative inputs you may want to consider with regards to the disconnect switch from the array to the controller. (It's OK to have alternative opinions and inputs here on this forum!) See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/4...rge-controller for that informative thread.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the feedback! I have been tracing lines best I could and couldn’t find a fuse. I’ll find a good spot for a disconnect. I’m in the Phoenix area, and what I’ve found with the red battery disconnect open And the batteries disconnected, the solar panel is still providing current to the charge controller and heating it up. The charge controller is mounted in the pass through storage area and it gets very hot in that space. There is an internal fan that will kick on the controller and I’m worried about that heat build up. I’m thinking that installing and opening a disconnect between the solar panel and the charge controller could protect it somewhat.

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to install a vent van that would trigger from the controller fan to help bring in outside air vs the stagnant air in the area that just builds heat.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
            Thank you for the feedback! I have been tracing lines best I could and couldn’t find a fuse. I’ll find a good spot for a disconnect. I’m in the Phoenix area, and what I’ve found with the red battery disconnect open And the batteries disconnected, the solar panel is still providing current to the charge controller and heating it up. The charge controller is mounted in the pass through storage area and it gets very hot in that space. There is an internal fan that will kick on the controller and I’m worried about that heat build up. I’m thinking that installing and opening a disconnect between the solar panel and the charge controller could protect it somewhat.
            I will say that one of the reasons that I swapped out my Furrion OEM controller for a Victron was the heat and the internal fans. I have all my electrical equipment in the front compartment for ease of access and maintenance. When my wife and I were sitting in our comfy chairs near the entrance door on a hot day, I could hear the Furrion fans cycling it seemed like every couple mins or so. For this reason and several others, I replaced my Furrion with a similar sized Victron and like the new one much better. The Victron controller does not use fans but instead uses a heat sink. The controller is much cooler and there are no fans to draw energy and wear out. Just something to consider.

You can see my solar controller and disconnect up in the right corner of this pic behind my latest upgrade---the Wi-Fi router for our Starlink.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front Compartment with  Routera.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	119115
            Last edited by COReflection; 08-24-2023, 07:18 AM.
            40-year Camping Enthusiast
            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
              …with the red battery disconnect open And the batteries disconnected, the solar panel is still providing current to the charge controller and heating it up. …
              This is exactly why you need a disconnect switch of some sort between the array and the charger. This configuration where you still feed power from the array to the controller without batteries connected can damage the controller.

I installed one of these this spring: https://shop.explorist.life/shop/all...or-disconnect/

Just mounted it in the pass through and didn’t even need any extra wire to make the connections.
              Tim H.
              2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
              2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
              Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
              Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

My 2022 has a fuse behind the panel where the water connects to.

Comment

Thanks, I just pulled that panel to replace the water inlet connection and the outdoor shower faucet along with new cone washers to fix water leaks. I’m not excited about pulling it out again to find that fuse. I called customer service at GD and they told me my 22 MLE doesn’t have a fuse? Anyway I think I’m going to put a disconnect near the controller

Comment

I installed a DC circuit breaker in a white breaker box in my 17MKE. Does double duty as a circuit breaker and a cut off switch.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=92820.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	119266

Jeff House
                    Jeff & Pam
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Interesting thread I’m learning from as a new MKE owner and new to forum (still figuring out where I enter my signature line info - apologies!). I had a related question on solar panel disconnect for winter storage. I have read about folks finding batteries discharged despite supposedly having GD battery disconnect switch turned off, with answers saying the GD disconnect actually leaves some parasitic loads connected for safety devices etc. So recommendation is to install a 2nd ‘total disconnect’ switch at batteries. I have some experience with domestic solar systems, and one of the rules there is that charge controllers MUST have battery power BEFORE connecting solar panels, otherwise controller may be destroyed when panels come online; I assume has something to do with activating protective circuits inside controllers that sense panel voltage, polarity etc. to make sure they are within specs. So I am concerned that leaving panels connected to controller while disconnecting battery might harm controller. This assumes solar panels are covered in winter so cannot maintain batteries. Is this a reason to have a solar disconnect as well as a battery disconnect, or does real world experience suggest this is not a concern with the systems used in recent GD trailers?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman View Post
                        Interesting thread I’m learning from as a new MKE owner and new to forum (still figuring out where I enter my signature line info - apologies!). I had a related question on solar panel disconnect for winter storage. I have read about folks finding batteries discharged despite supposedly having GD battery disconnect switch turned off, with answers saying the GD disconnect actually leaves some parasitic loads connected for safety devices etc. So recommendation is to install a 2nd ‘total disconnect’ switch at batteries. I have some experience with domestic solar systems, and one of the rules there is that charge controllers MUST have battery power BEFORE connecting solar panels, otherwise controller may be destroyed when panels come online; I assume has something to do with activating protective circuits inside controllers that sense panel voltage, polarity etc. to make sure they are within specs. So I am concerned that leaving panels connected to controller while disconnecting battery might harm controller. This assumes solar panels are covered in winter so cannot maintain batteries. Is this a reason to have a solar disconnect as well as a battery disconnect, or does real world experience suggest this is not a concern with the systems used in recent GD trailers?
                        In my opinion you should put a "disconnect" between your panels and your solar charge controller. This will help protect your solar charge controller. As you know, voltage coming from the panels into your solar charge controller is much higher than voltage leaving the solar charge controller and to the batteries. Make sure the "disconnect" is rated for your worse case voltage form the PV array.

When my trailer is in storage I leave the solar system on to keep my batteries topped off. If you have a good solar charge controller you can dictate float charge rate, bulk charge rate, etc to minimize battery damage.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman View Post
                          I agree with the statement that the battery disconnect switch does NOT disconnect everything. The electrical brakes are still connected and some safety circuits also. There are many reasons to install a disconnect switch between the solar panels and the charge controller.
                          1. Electrical code mandates it.
                          2. Safety. If you ever need to work on the system you need to isolate the solar panels.
                          3. Overall control of your system at all of its' branches. PV - Charge controller - Battery, etc.
                          I used a DC circuit breaker and small breaker box. (See my picture in post # 10) Be sure to use a DC circuit breaker and verify that it can handle a voltage higher than your panels put out plus 10%. Some people use a plain rotary cut off switch in this position which works put is not to code.

My design was to put switches and circuit breakers/fuses everywhere.
                          God bless

Jeff House
                          Jeff & Pam
                          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Since I'm doing some final work on the rig and seeing this post I thought I'd add my 19 cents. I went with the DC breaker route as can be seen in the photo. The white controller is for my 200 watt suitcase panel in case I need to chase the sun. Not a great one but, it can get the job done in a pinch. The red cutoff kills all battery power.
                            Attached Files
                            Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                            TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
                            X