What is "Inverter Prepped" placard on 17MKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Inverter Prepped" placard on 17MKE

I am new to Grand Design having just purchased a 2023 Imagine 17MKE. We were full time in our Tiffin Phaeton until July. We had a full solar/lithium package installed and enjoyed boondocking which we want to continue in our 17MKE. I am going to use the winter to try and design and install a system on my own so have been reading the forums and have ordered Will Prowse's book to act as an outline. I have done an energy audit (will be modifying as we use the unit more) and have a mind for what I think the system will need to be (inside the confines of limited roof space).

My one question I haven't found the answer to is about a placard on the paneling inside of the passthrough storage (passenger side) that says "Inverter Prepped". I don't see a way to easily remove this panel without prying it open, but before doing so thought I would ask if anyone knows what I might find behind the panel? Is it wiring? If so will it handle the 3K watt inverter I am hoping to install?

Thanks in advance.

I did stumble on a YouTube Video that may have answered my question. The unit in the video is a GD 5th Wheel so not sure it is the same, but hope springs eternal.

Comment

The orange loop of wire is what you should find behind the panel.

Paul & Deb did an install on a 17MKE as well as there current Imagine, he should be along to offer some guidance.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by JD99301 View Post
        I am new to Grand Design having just purchased a 2023 Imagine 17MKE. We were full time in our Tiffin Phaeton until July. We had a full solar/lithium package installed and enjoyed boondocking which we want to continue in our 17MKE. I am going to use the winter to try and design and install a system on my own so have been reading the forums and have ordered Will Prowse's book to act as an outline. I have done an energy audit (will be modifying as we use the unit more) and have a mind for what I think the system will need to be (inside the confines of limited roof space).

My one question I haven't found the answer to is about a placard on the paneling inside of the passthrough storage (passenger side) that says "Inverter Prepped". I don't see a way to easily remove this panel without prying it open, but before doing so thought I would ask if anyone knows what I might find behind the panel? Is it wiring? If so will it handle the 3K watt inverter I am hoping to install?

Thanks in advance.
        First welcome.

Question - when they did the solar and Li install did they change out your converter? Is your converter Li capable? What brand and type of solar controller did the install? As you want a 3K inverter may I suggest a slightly different road.

Take a look at a Victron Multiplus https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva I am assuming you have a 30A service, This is the easiest way to get everything you need in one package. You run shore power through it to your distribution panel and the transfer switch is built in.

When in inverter mode your entire trailer is tied in. You just need to watch you power usage, just as you wold with a std inverter.The only change in your set up is you need to disconnect your stock converter as the Multiplus has a programmable charger built in. There are a few add on's such as the Cerbo GX device and screen. But I will let the real experts chime in here. howson ncitro

I have one in my 5th wheel and love it. I have a Cerbo GX device and Victrom mppt solar controllers and they all can be tied together so I can monitor everything at a glance. You can remote monitor too. I even have my propane tank sensors tied in (Thanks again Neil) so I know the tank status at a glance.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

JD99301 I suspect you may find the inverter prep to be inadequate for your needs. It is meant to only run the circuits on the other side of the second inverter prep breaker. If you open up your breaker panel you will actually find its a main panel and sub panel in one, the right side is fed by the loop of orange romex that comes out of the first inverter breaker, and goes back into the second inverter breaker. The idea is once you install an inverter you cut that loop and the transfer switch (or inverter itself if equipped with its own) switches the sub panel between the inverter and shore power. What most of us have done is go with an inverter that can handle the entire rigs loads (like the Multiplus Yoda suggests). In that case you want to cut into the main shore power cord and insert the inverter (or transfer switch) between the panel and shore power inlet. I did a install like this on an inverter prepped unit with WondersAwait and it was pretty straightforward. He has a write up on his process here:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lectrical-mods
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

One thing about it, Solar/Lithium conversion requires a great passion for drinking from a fire hose. I went to the recommended pages and have since discovered more about this proposed installation, but am a long ways toward tackling it. If only one of you Solar/Lithium experts was in my backyard to supervise...LOL. Anyway, I will keep learning and reading before I start buying. Although, I may bite the bullet on a couple of Lithium batteries as there seems to be some sales right now. My WFCO converter will supposedly handle LIFEPO, so as a short term way to get through a night un "alarmed" that may be where I start.

Comment

JD99301 - I was similarly curious about where the "orange wire" was before randomly boring holes into the panel. Credit to Grand Design, the answer is: directly behind the sticker. Below are some photos taken after removing the curb-side AC outlet next to the sofa, showing the loop along with a ground wire. The void aligns with the bottom 6.5" of space in the pass-through.
              -- Brian

2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

MuddyLuck Welcome to the family and the forum! Great contribution in your first post.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                X