Solar doesn’t continue charging battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar doesn’t continue charging battery

My solar has started shutting off after a couple of hours. My panels worked well then I added two more in the configuration so I have 2(3 panels) in series then parallel to controller. I have a 150/100 controller and pulling 60 volts so that seems to be okay. This morning the panels charged for a couple of solid hours (500 watts totalto partially charge batteries). We are by Galveston and the sun is shining with no shade on panels. Any ideas on what I may be missing?
    Last edited by 50ST8R; 02-13-2024, 02:39 PM.
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Hi Kevin.

Do you have a shunt in the system? If so, what is your state of charge?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
      My solar has started shutting off after a couple of hours. My panels worked well then I added two more in the configuration so I have 2(3 panels) in series then parallel to controller. I have a 150/100 controller and pulling 60 volts so that seems to be okay. This morning the panels charged for a couple of solid hours (500 watts totalto partially charge batteries). We are by Galveston and the sun is shining with no shade on panels. Any ideas on what I may be missing?
      Your batteries may be full, thus there's no place for the solar power to go. Think of your batteries like a fuel tank. Once it's full, doesn't matter how much you squeeze the gas station's pump handle -- it will keep shutting off 'cause the tank is full. Same thing with solar and batteries.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Jim,

my BMW is not showing 63 % I went ahead and used the truck DC to DC charger to start to charge it some more then the Solar starting performing again then leveled off. Here is the PV charging from today
        Attached Files
        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Your batteries may be full, thus there's no place for the solar power to go. Think of your batteries like a fuel tank. Once it's full, doesn't matter how much you squeeze the gas station's pump handle -- it will keep shutting off 'cause the tank is full. Same thing with solar and batteries.
          greetings Howard,

my batteries are at roughly 60-65% and I zeroed that indicator while we were in Florida hooked up so should be fairly accurate.

i added some attachments to show what I am seeing with the solar related to the batteries. Frustrating situation We.

Kev

Comment

Hi Jim,

my BMW is not showing 63 % I went ahead and used the truck DC to DC charger to start to charge it some more then the Solar starting performing again then leveled off. Here is the PV charging from today
            Kevin -- if the BMV is showing 63% charged with the battery voltages shown in the attachments above, it's not currently accurate. The battery voltages are reflecting the battery bank is fully charged.

To repeat: when the battery bank is full, there's no place for the solar power to go so the output will appear to drop to 0W. That is completely normal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	187
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	128552

For example, my 1200W system is only generating 43W right now. And it's a glorious day outside. Why only 43W? Because that's all the trailer (and battery bank) can absorb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	166
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	128553

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

50ST8R -- just noticed -- why does your battery levels show 3.83 and 0.86 (minimum) levels in the history that was posted?

Howard & Francine

Comment

I just noticed those minimum levels also. I have no idea what causes that. I had some voltage issues when in Alabama this past week which coincided with the past couple of days. I will need to research my set up and see if there are any other anomoles. We are headed to Galveston on the ferry right now so will have to research this when we get back. On a good note the DC to DC charger works well as long as I use the limiter. Good 15 amps from the truck with the charger on.
                Last edited by 50ST8R; 02-13-2024, 06:13 PM.

Comment

50ST8R
                  Two things come to mind.

1st -- remember the percentage the BMV shows is a calculated value. It could be wrong. The resting battery voltage, however, is a direct measurement. ("Resting" means no load. In our case, that's almost never but at the lowest possible current drain over about 30-60 minutes will result in a fairly accurate resting voltage.) Use the battery resting voltage to determine if the BMV percentage shown makes sense.

2nd -- the tail current setting in the BMV can cause anomalies when solar is a charging source. From the BMV manual: If the BMV does not synchronize automatically, the charged voltage, tail current, and/or charged time may need adjustment.​

Also from the manual: The BMV synchronizes too early In solar systems or other applications with fluctuating charge currents, the following measures can be taken to reduce the probability for the BMV to reset prematurely to 100% state of charge: a) Increase the “charged” voltage to only slightly below the absorption charge voltage (for example: 14,2V in case of 14,4V absorption voltage). b) Increase the “charged” detection time and/or decrease the tail current to prevent an early reset due to to passing clouds. See section 4.2.1 for set up instructions.​

For comparison purposes, the Tail Current (under BATTERY tab on BMV-712) on my setup is 2.00%.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    50ST8R
                    Two things come to mind.

1st -- remember the percentage the BMV shows is a calculated value. It could be wrong. The resting battery voltage, however, is a direct measurement. ("Resting" means no load. In our case, that's almost never but at the lowest possible current drain over about 30-60 minutes will result in a fairly accurate resting voltage.) Use the battery resting voltage to determine if the BMV percentage shown makes sense.

2nd -- the tail current setting in the BMV can cause anomalies when solar is a charging source. From the BMV manual: If the BMV does not synchronize automatically, the charged voltage, tail current, and/or charged time may need adjustment.​

Also from the manual: The BMV synchronizes too early In solar systems or other applications with fluctuating charge currents, the following measures can be taken to reduce the probability for the BMV to reset prematurely to 100% state of charge: a) Increase the “charged” voltage to only slightly below the absorption charge voltage (for example: 14,2V in case of 14,4V absorption voltage). b) Increase the “charged” detection time and/or decrease the tail current to prevent an early reset due to to passing clouds. See section 4.2.1 for set up instructions.​

For comparison purposes, the Tail Current (under BATTERY tab on BMV-712) on my setup is 2.00%.

Howard
                    I am also wondering about the set absorption time. As the solar went back to charging while we were in Galveston, I am looking in the controller specs as to when and how long the solar current drops. Will boondock here another couple of nights then to around Austin for a week where I can check out things more thoroughly and with a friend as a helper there. Just willing to keep it up enough to travel when we are ready later this week.

Thanks for the quick thoughts. Will post again as I am settled where I can troubleshoot further.

kev

Comment

I just noticed those minimum levels also. I have no idea what causes that. I had some voltage issues when in Alabama this past week which coincided with the past couple of days. I will need to research my set up and see if there are any other anomoles. We are headed to Galveston on the ferry right now so will have to research this when we get back. On a good note the DC to DC charger works well as long as I use the limiter. Good 15 amps from the truck with the charger on.
                      50ST8R
                      Just a thought - To rule out your Battleborn battery's you might want to check with them to see if the BMS are working correctly.

Trying to help
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update:

Solar seemed to be working later yesterday and got the batteries to about 65% before the sun was low enough to no longer input. Solar has been producing between 500-800 watts today and batteries back up to 65 %. I still need to sit down with the manuals again and the MK3 and check all the settings. We will have full hookups again starting tomorrow night for a week so clock this up the the electronic term FM for now😁

I am glad to see the 800 watt level as I hadn’t really checked out the panels after install in Florida in November. I am still leaning toward something resetting when I had a power failure in Alabama campground which might have defaulted settings but need to hook up the MK3 in a more controlled environment than dry camping here on the beach.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may be asking for suggested Victron settings once I get hooked up.

Comment

Greetings all,

BB and Victron came through on my solar problems. After contacting BB, where I thought I had purchased the controller from, and sent them the power and current charts I extracted from my system, they authorized a replacement. Received the controller today and already getting good solar numbers even with it being late afternoon here in Arizona.

i had promised diagrams of my system also so here goes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X