factory solar and battery disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factory solar and battery disconnect

We have a new 2020 390 RK and when stored during the pandemic battery disconnect engaged (batteries off) Went to storage to hook up and batteries dead. Should battery disconnect not be engaged to have solar charging?
    Frank W

Originally posted by Willardsco View Post
    We have a new 2020 390 RK and when stored during the pandemic battery disconnect engaged (batteries off) Went to storage to hook up and batteries dead. Should battery disconnect not be engaged to have solar charging?
    Frank W
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

Is it the factory Jaboni solar? I'd like to tag our GD host on your question.

Assuming for a moment you do have the factory Jaboni--GD may (I don't know for sure as no diagrams are available) have connected the power after the disconnect. Thus, when the disconnect is "Off" no solar power makes it to the battery. Your experience appears to validate that guess.

With the OEM battery disconnect "off" ("disconnected") there is still power going to some systems in your trailer (smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detector, emergency brake actuator, etc). The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to remove the negative cable. (See your owner's manual under "long term storage"--it will have a similar recommendation.)

If my guess is correct about the solar, and the disconnect was "off", unfortunately battery depletion was only a matter of time.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes it has the Jaboni controller. Onan 5500 generator transferred from prior Solitude by selling dealer. Current voltage is 1.05! Will remove batteries and charge them at home then reinstall. What would the second disconnect in the generator compartment on the “ceiling” be for. It is from the factory as well as the basement battery connect. I only turned off battery disconnect in basement, not the front one.
      Frank W

Comment

Yes it has the Jaboni controller. Onan 5500 generator transferred from prior Solitude by selling dealer. Current voltage is 1.05! Will remove batteries and charge them at home then reinstall. What would the second disconnect in the generator compartment on the “ceiling” be for. It is from the factory as well as the basement battery connect. I only turned off battery disconnect in basement, not the front one.
        Frank W
        I'm not a battery expert, but that battery may be compromised. Cate&Rob or similar knowledgeable individual--please weigh in.

Second Chance -- Rob, did you get a generator in your new Solitude? steve&renee (Steve)? Txfivver (Jeff)? boyscout (Mark)?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm not a battery expert, but that battery may be compromised. Cate&Rob or similar knowledgeable individual--please weigh in.

[
          A 12V lead acid battery that has been discharged very low may still be salvaged. One deep discharge will probably not kill it, but my shorten its overall expected life.

The problem may be in trying to get it recharged. Many chargers have a safety feature that will not allow the the charger to turn on with very low battery voltage. The charger suspects that it is connected to a six volt battery and will not energize.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The 1st battery is charged up to 73% after 1hr 45 min and hopefully climbing. I'll charge the second battery next. No bulging of the battery cases. I do worry about those batteries long term health! Earlier this year the Solitude's auto level needed reset. On our prior Solitude I could turn off the battery disconnect and that would reset it. I turned of both battery disconnects, basement and generator compartment, neither of which cut power to the control pad, so I had to unplug the control pad to reset it. Unfortunately, the owner's manuals don't give much detail regarding the solar charging system nor the electrical system.
            Frank W

Comment

Willardsco

Frank

We are working on getting info from Grand Design for the Solar systems they are offering. We were to be at the factory this spring but a few Corona's got in the way of that so we are a little behind. Hopefully soon we will have info to help owners such as yourself.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Second Chance -- Rob, did you get a generator in your new Solitude? steve&renee (Steve)? Txfivver (Jeff)? boyscout (Mark)?
                My Onan was dealer installed and has no battery disconnect in the generator box or the front compartment where the batteries are, only the transfer switch for the generator/shore power switchover. A second battery disconnect is news to me, will follow this thread for input from others, maybe someone with a factory installed Onan will chime in.

Jeff
                2019 Solitude 375 RES
                2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

... Second Chance -- Rob, did you get a generator in your new Solitude? steve&renee (Steve)? Txfivver (Jeff)? boyscout (Mark)?
                  No - we did not get a generator (would have put us even more overweight). We've had three long travel days this week with some clouds and rain and highs in the mid-80s to low 90s. Despite the weather, the solar panel and the two Battle Born batteries held their own with the residential frig.

Rob

Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Do I have a generator? A GENERATOR?
                    No. I do not have a generator. I like to go camping to get away and relax. Not be intruded on by people who blare their generators at me.
                    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                    Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Do I have a generator? A GENERATOR?
                      OOOOOkkk...note to self, don't ask Steve about generators again.

Comment

OOOOOkkk...note to self, don't ask Steve about generators again.
                        Lol sheesh touchy subject around here! I think Ima go take the exhaust off mine and put one of those fa** cans on it lol.
                        Jeff
                        2019 Solitude 375 RES
                        2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

2nd battery charged to 100% in less than one hour. 1st battery after several hours won’t go past 73% charge. One good battery and one bad. Since these are “new” batteries in February I would assume purchasing one like rated battery is reasonable??
                          Frank W

Comment

2nd battery charged to 100% in less than one hour. 1st battery after several hours won’t go past 73% charge. One good battery and one bad. Since these are “new” batteries in February I would assume purchasing one like rated battery is reasonable??
                            Frank W
                            Not if they are wet cell batteries. If that first one has any damage it will take down the new one to "its" level.

Again, not a battery expert but I've done my fair share of reading. There's real electricians on this forum who can speak with authority. (Help me out, guys!)

Comment

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

Is it the factory Jaboni solar? I'd like to tag our GD host on your question.

Assuming for a moment you do have the factory Jaboni--GD may (I don't know for sure as no diagrams are available) have connected the power after the disconnect. Thus, when the disconnect is "Off" no solar power makes it to the battery. Your experience appears to validate that guess.

With the OEM battery disconnect "off" ("disconnected") there is still power going to some systems in your trailer (smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detector, emergency brake actuator, etc). The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to remove the negative cable. (See your owner's manual under "long term storage"--it will have a similar recommendation.)

If my guess is correct about the solar, and the disconnect was "off", unfortunately battery depletion was only a matter of time.

Howard

I have a 310GK with factory Jaboni solar. On my unit the solar charges the batteries even when the disconnect is "off". When I pickup the rig from storage the batteries are fully charged.
                              Note: When the unit was new this was not the case. I found the batteries completely dead (like Frank W) a couple of times. The problem turned out to be a poor connection from the solar panels to the solar controller was causing intermittent failuers.

Mark
                              Mark & Angela
                              2019 Dodge RAM 3500
                              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
                              Previous Tow Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Tundra
                              Previous Rig: 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8289WS

Comment

Working...
                              X