Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMV 712 install - Wiring for two battery sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMV 712 install - Wiring for two battery sets?

I decided to post this separate from my install as it is really and independent question. I have followed the quick install instructions https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...tion-guide.pdf
    and the manual with the main wiring. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...R-DE-ES-SE.pdf

I am now wiring the connection to the display head (RJ12) and primary battery feed 1. which I tied to the Lynx power in bar so it sees both battery sets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616s.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	56836
    Connection at the shunt shown

Name:	IMG_0617s.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	56837 Connection to the Lynx power in bar - same post with CERBO GX power feed.

I then got to thinking and reading that the unit is capable for monitoring two battery's. Yes I should have stayed in my corner on this one. In reading the quick install instructions (steps 11 or 12) I get confused. Step 11 shows the second battery set up with moving wires around on the shunt Step 12 shows a midpoint connection which is not my case.

What I have is 4 6V GC2 batteries in a series parallel connection. Series to tie the 2 batteries together for the 12V and then parallel connecting the two sets separately to the Lynx power in bar. I am running separate positive and negative feed cables off of each set to the Lynx power in bar. This way I can isolate a set of batteries if needed.

Name:	IMG_0611s.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	56838
    This photo shows the separate battery positive cables (through switches) and the separate battery negative cables (connections under covers) tying into the Lynx power in bar (center of photo below MPPT and CERBO GX units).

This is the Question. Can I wire the two battery connections off the shunt to the 12 V positive terminals on each set of series battery's to get two separate battery readings? I was wondering if this would work - especially if I haft to disconnect one set of batteries?

Thanks for the help
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I decided to post this separate from my install as it is really and independent question. I have followed the quick install instructions https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...tion-guide.pdf
    and the manual with the main wiring. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...R-DE-ES-SE.pdf

I am now wiring the connection to the display head (RJ12) and primary battery feed 1. which I tied to the Lynx power in bar so it sees both battery sets.

Name:	IMG_0616s.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	56836
    Connection at the shunt shown

Name:	IMG_0617s.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	56837 Connection to the Lynx power in bar - same post with CERBO GX power feed.

I then got to thinking and reading that the unit is capable for monitoring two battery's. Yes I should have stayed in my corner on this one. In reading the quick install instructions (steps 11 or 12) I get confused. Step 11 shows the second battery set up with moving wires around on the shunt Step 12 shows a midpoint connection which is not my case.

What I have is 4 6V GC2 batteries in a series parallel connection. Series to tie the 2 batteries together for the 12V and then parallel connecting the two sets separately to the Lynx power in bar. I am running separate positive and negative feed cables off of each set to the Lynx power in bar. This way I can isolate a set of batteries if needed.

Name:	IMG_0611s.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	56838
    This photo shows the separate battery positive cables (through switches) and the separate battery negative cables (connections under covers) tying into the Lynx power in bar (center of photo below MPPT and CERBO GX units).

This is the Question. Can I wire the two battery connections off the shunt to the 12 V positive terminals on each set of series battery's to get two separate battery readings? I was wondering if this would work - especially if I haft to disconnect one set of batteries?

Thanks for the help
    Keith
    Keith,

You should be able to connect to measure the midpoint voltage at the series termination to get 12V from two batteries.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Keith,

You should be able to connect to measure the midpoint voltage at the series termination to get 12V from two batteries.

Jim
      Sorry Jim, I probably need more coffee to understand. I don't have a mid point that I know of - just two sets of 6V battery's tied together to make 12 volts, then each pair tie to the positive bus bar separately. Are you saying tie the two wires from the shunt to each set of battery positive terminals?

Thanks for you understanding - trying to understand and minimize the smoke at start up.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sorry Jim, I probably need more coffee to understand. I don't have a mid point that I know of - just two sets of 6V battery's tied together to make 12 volts, then each pair tie to the positive bus bar separately. Are you saying tie the two wires from the shunt to each set of battery positive terminals?

Thanks for you understanding - trying to understand and minimize the smoke at start up.

Keith
        Keith,

Your mid-point would be where two 6V batteries are connected in series.

Jim

Comment

Keith,

Your mid-point would be where two 6V batteries are connected in series.

Jim
          OK that makes sense. However do I need that? I am trying to monitor the two 12V sets to make sure the 6V pair is working together. Right now as wired the BMV will see the entire battery bank (both sets).

Thanks for helping
          Keith

Comment

OK that makes sense. However do I need that? I am trying to monitor the two 12V sets to make sure the 6V pair is working together. Right now as wired the BMV will see the entire battery bank (both sets).

Thanks for helping
            Keith
            Keith,

I scan over these posts since I'm still working on getting ready to sell in MI and thought you were interested in the mid point voltage so perhaps I misunderstood your intentions. Keep in mind while you can monitor the mid-point, its really the two 6V batteries that are being monitored effectively as one 12V battery. I would not bother measuring the mid-point.

Jim

Comment

Keith,

I scan over these posts since I'm still working on getting ready to sell in MI and thought you were interested in the mid point voltage so perhaps I misunderstood your intentions. Keep in mind while you can monitor the mid-point, its really the two 6V batteries that are being monitored effectively as one 12V battery. I would not bother measuring the mid-point.

Jim
              Thanks Jim

Comment

Yoda
                Hi Keith,

The Victron gauge can only monitor voltage for the second battery. All the other capabilities (amps, hours, %, etc) are for the primary battery (or battery bank) only. The original marine application for this monitor is primarily for the “house” bank but with the ability to keep an eye on the separate starting battery.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Yoda
                  Hi Keith,

The Victron gauge can only monitor voltage for the second battery. All the other capabilities (amps, hours, %, etc) are for the primary battery (or battery bank) only. The original marine application for this monitor is primarily for the “house” bank but with the ability to keep an eye on the separate starting battery.

Rob
                  Thanks Rob
                  Ill go with the what I have it then and not worry about the second battery voltage only.

Was a long day today.

Thanks again for the clarification
                  Keith back to my corner

Comment

Thanks Rob
                    Ill go with the what I have it then and not worry about the second battery voltage only.

Was a long day today.

Thanks again for the clarification
                    Keith back to my corner
                    Rob is right. Do not worry about using it in your application. In addition to marine I think they use it in motorhomes to watch the starting battery as well. As far as the BMV is concerned you want to program it for a 12v bank with your combined series-parallel amp hours.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

From Victron on midpoint: You can use the Victron for a separate starting battery or the feature can be used to check midpoint voltage on a battery bank, depending on how its configured. The Aux input has several functions where I use this input for battery temperature. Looking back at the manual, if I had an expensive battery bank I might use the mid point function since a bad cell on one battery (lead acid) could kill the entire bank. Open the manual and use the keys Ctrl+F and type in Midpoint. Plenty of information in how to set this up and monitor.

https://community.victronenergy.com/...-midpoint.html

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2021, 05:45 AM.

Comment

From Victron on midpoint: You can use the Victron for a separate starting battery or the feature can be used to check midpoint voltage on a battery bank, depending on how its configured. The Aux input has several functions where I use this input for battery temperature. Looking back at the manual, if I had an expensive battery bank I might use the mid point function since a bad cell on one battery (lead acid) could kill the entire bank. Open the manual and use the keys Ctrl+F and type in Midpoint. Plenty of information in how to set this up and monitor.

https://community.victronenergy.com/...-midpoint.html

Jim
                        Jim - Thanks for the link. Lots of information there. I think I will keep it simple
                        ncitro Appreciate the input too.

Now to get my dimensionally large hiney into a dimensionally small pass through to add wire bracing and get wires run back to the display (Touch 50 and BMV). Where is DR Who when I need him?

Have a great rest of the week folks.
                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                        X