No announcement yet.

2021 Imagine 17MKE Solar Prep Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like you did a great job. At some point I need to assemble parts / component lists and see how much SWMBO wants to spend for what level of comfort.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Great looking system Paul. Time to go out and enjoy the hard work and get to all those places you have been missing.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Paul & Deb
        Nice work, Paul.

What did you use to mount the panels? I don't recognize the tilt assemblies. The outside edge looks substantial--or is it the angle of the picture?

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Paul & Deb
          Nice work, Paul.

What did you use to mount the panels? I don't recognize the tilt assemblies. The outside edge looks substantial--or is it the angle of the picture?

Howard
          I used the same mounts I had on my 337. They are tilt mounts from AmSolar.
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post

Well I just finished rewiring the power center and moved the hot for the converter, which was piggy backed to a breaker with the GFIs, to piggy back with the W/H. Now it's a simple matter of shutting off the W/H breaker which you would never want to use off the inverter anyway. Both breakers were 15 amp breakers so it shouldn't have any negative effects at all. According to my source at the factory, there is no set way the technicians have to wire these things so some have reported their converter was already on the same breaker with the W/H! Go figure.

It would be very cool to say nothing of the labor and cost savings if one could just disconnect the WFCO built in converter on the 8735 and add a progressive 30 amp lithium ready converter. I would have no real idea how to wire it in but I would think it to be fairly simple one you know where the power from the converter comes into the 8735. On my 50 amp trailer, like you said, it was simply a matter of unplugging the converter from the back of the power center and plugging the new one in.

Onto the next step of mounting my panels on the roof.
            So if you plug the converter with the water heater and shut off that breaker. Can you still use the WH on gas mode? Wouldn't that turn off the igniter?
            Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post

So if you plug the converter with the water heater and shut off that breaker. Can you still use the WH on gas mode? Wouldn't that turn off the igniter?
              Still works on propane because the ignitor is 12 volt and not powered through the power center.
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Looks like I was already pre wired into the WH that's perfect.
                Attached Files
                Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

I am in the same situation, looking for any wiring diagrams, and info as to where i can buy the solar to install it? my trailer is "pre wired" but that seems like its just a wire to the roof, thank you all

Comment

I gave up believing that wiring diagrams exist; let alone having any consistency/pattern to wire color.
                    When you start your solar journey you will quickly learn the most challenging part, physically, is getting wires from basement up to roof. Think about drilling a hole in the roof! GD has provided us the wire and a 10awg wire at that. Now its a matter of getting a design together and use that wire. First thing about solar is to decide on desired outcome. If you want blasting AC while toaster is cooking and hair drying is going, you need a BIG roof!! It does not take long to realize that expecting to use AC will easy demand well over 1000 watts of solar and that setup is not cheap. If you forgo running the AC stuff (thus no INverter) then you will be down in the (4) panels, (2) battery design. I believe most are in this general range. Next is batteries, will you get Lithium ? If so, you are talking at least $1800 to get parts, THEN someone to install. Finally is budget; get ready! See attached for what I did in my GD 2600rb, it did NOT come with wire to roof so I had to drill. Not fun...
                    Attached Files
                    2022 GD 2970RL (Built Dec 2021, Deliver March 2022)
                    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear
                    2017 GD 2600rb (Private sale May 2022)
                    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by JSR7871 View Post
                      I am in the same situation, looking for any wiring diagrams, and info as to where i can buy the solar to install it? my trailer is "pre wired" but that seems like its just a wire to the roof, thank you all
                      I totally agree with wudwork , Solar is a deep hole and what you want to accomplish will depend on how deep you may need to go.

There are lots of places to buy solar kits or you can make up your own as plenty here have done, me included. Let us know what model RV you have and somebody here may have done one already or let us know how big of a system you want as somebody may have a similar system.

Welcome and please have a read of our Welcome Letter to New Members.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers - I appreciate the comments about the "deep hole". I have a 2021 17MKE with the solar roof blister and have just begun to investigate solar options. At this point i'm just interested in keeping my 12v system running for a long weekend of boondocking. Is that something reasonable accomplished by adding one lead acid battery and a basic roof mounted panel or am in for that same deep hole journey?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by mtrayno1 View Post
                          Country Campers - I appreciate the comments about the "deep hole". I have a 2021 17MKE with the solar roof blister and have just begun to investigate solar options. At this point i'm just interested in keeping my 12v system running for a long weekend of boondocking. Is that something reasonable accomplished by adding one lead acid battery and a basic roof mounted panel or am in for that same deep hole journey?

Thx
                          It will all depend on your usage and if you get a lot of sunshine to charge the batteries. I am guessing that you have the solar prep. If you are able you might try a generator instead of solar. If I remember my 12 v usage was about 60 ah a day while running the furnace. If you can hook to shore power and turn the converter breaker off and watch your battery usage if you have a battery monitor. Regular deep cycle batteries should not go below 12.1 v which is 50% charge, this is for better battery life. See how long you can go on just one battery and that will determine your next steps and needs for boondocking. Having shore power will allow you to recharge when needed and not be without power. I have done this quite a few times to determine usage.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

@Country Campers - thats a great idea - thx

Comment

Working...
                            X