Proposed Solar Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Solar Setup

This is based on about a weeks worth of research, for a brand new GD that I have yet to even tow anywhere. So, keep that in mind; I'm green.

In terms of usage, I want to run a computer, external monitor and accessories, a fridge, coffee maker, microwave, etc., while boondocking or whatever the situation is. I want a quality setup with features, but I don't want to completely break the bank.

This is for a 2021 30G toy hauler. Cost of all this stuff is about $2k on Amazon.

Item Brand SKU Qty
    Battery SOK 12V 206 Ah Lithium Phosphate 1
    Solar Panels Renogy Eclipse 100W 12 Volt Mono 4
    MPPT Charge Controller Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth) 1
    BMS Overkill 4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System 1
    Inverter GoWISE 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 120V AC with 3 AC Outlets + 1 5V USB Port 1

What did I overlook? What doesn't make sense? What did I get right?
    Jeff
    2021 Momentum 30G
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

JH2112

Are four Renogy panels the maximum you can mount on the roof? If the roof configuration can handle more, consider getting an MPPT that can accept the extra panels at a future date. Install wiring that also anticipates the additional panels. Have you read through my (long) thread on installing solar on my 315RLTS?

Factor in the $$ for quality wiring and the tools you'll need to make good crimps. Wiring and quality lug connectors aren't cheap--and definitely not the place to try and save money (IMO).

Regarding the inverter and battery--I know nothing about these components. What is the maximum (sustainable) discharge rate of the battery? A 100aH Battle Born can sustain 100 amps. This is important to know to ensure the battery you've chosen is a good match for the inverter's capability.

Overlook? A battery monitor--unless the Overkill BMS has one? Not familiar with that product.

Good luck and please post a thread on your install with lessons learned (both good and bad).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
      This is based on about a weeks worth of research, for a brand new GD that I have yet to even tow anywhere. So, keep that in mind; I'm green.

In terms of usage, I want to run a computer, external monitor and accessories, a fridge, coffee maker, microwave, etc., while boondocking or whatever the situation is. I want a quality setup with features, but I don't want to completely break the bank.

This is for a 2021 30G toy hauler. Cost of all this stuff is about $2k on Amazon.
      Item Brand SKU Qty
      Battery SOK 12V 206 Ah Lithium Phosphate 1
      Solar Panels Renogy Eclipse 100W 12 Volt Mono 4
      MPPT Charge Controller Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth) 1
      BMS Overkill 4s BMS 120a LifePo4 Battery Management System 1
      Inverter GoWISE 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC to 120V AC with 3 AC Outlets + 1 5V USB Port 1
      What did I overlook? What doesn't make sense? What did I get right?
      Missing wire (PV and battery cabling) solar panel connectors, terminals and lugs, lug and terminal crimpers, solar disconnect breakers (install before MPPT) and circuit breakers installed after after the MPPT, Fuse and fuse holder (run to inverter) and main power switch for inverter circuit. You will need to properly size the PV and other wires based on panel configuration. This all ads up in the cost.

I am also thinking that 1 206AH Lithium battery will not be enough for your plan. You will also need a compatible lithium battery charger. Have you looked into any of the packages offered by the solar company's used by folks here such as AM solar, or Continousresources. There are also others. They will supply everything you need and probably better grade and can offer something Amazon cant and that is support as you do your install and warrenty if needed. This is very important.

Good luck on your project
      BTW - I also have a thread going on my solar install and you might learn a few things. I have made some costly mistakes. If I ever do this again I would get one of the packages.

Hope this helps
      Keith

On edit you probably want a good battery monitor Victron BMV 712 is what I got.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda I should have mentioned that I left all the wiring etc off the list since it is what it is. I haven't looked at the packages you mentioned. I also should mention that I'll get about $700 off the total if I use Amazon due to my American Express points. I'll take a look at the packages, and thanks for the tip on the BMS.

howson thank you. I haven't measured the roof space yet. My original plan was double everything above (where needed), so 8 panels, 2 batteries and 2 converters. Leaning back in that direction now. I'm okay with the cost of wiring and all that, even installation if someone in AZ wants to help out. Most of the savings is in the BBatteries.
        Jeff
        2021 Momentum 30G
        2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Comment

Looking forward to your future posts. Some really good comments so far. But, I will add - while I am not familiar with that battery or inverter...it seems light both for what you want to do (not sure 2000 watts is going to cut it...at least not if you are running many of those things at the same time. Also, not sure 1 battery is a good fit - even though it is a 200AH battery. Would need to see battery specs...but you may need 2 in parallel to serve that inverter well. If you move up to a 3000w inverter you would need to go to 3 batteries.

Why 2 converters? Not sure I understand that in your last post (converter IE charger?). Just make sure to match the MPPT with the solar config. Use the same panels for each MPPT if you do more than 1. I recommend a series parallel configuration for your solar to maximize your solar charge time.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help answer questions. Feel free to mention me (@) and will do what I can to help.

Here is a long thread on my recent install...hope it helps you.
          https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-and-questions
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
            Yoda I should have mentioned that I left all the wiring etc off the list since it is what it is. I haven't looked at the packages you mentioned. I also should mention that I'll get about $700 off the total if I use Amazon due to my American Express points. I'll take a look at the packages, and thanks for the tip on the BMS.

howson thank you. I haven't measured the roof space yet. My original plan was double everything above (where needed), so 8 panels, 2 batteries and 2 converters. Leaning back in that direction now. I'm okay with the cost of wiring and all that, even installation if someone in AZ wants to help out. Most of the savings is in the BBatteries.
            Good the hear you had the extra stuff figured in. In my case I underestimated the cost and the amount I really needed - also the space requirement. As for install and packages theses folks have been mentioned a few times https://www.solar-electric.com/. If you want to drive north into Utah https://www.continuousresources.com/ does installs too.

Hope this helps with your quest.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X