Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MultiPlus giving low battery warning and shutting down. 93% SOC 12.1V ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Neil
    When we get to Georgia Ill look into it. I have DW's laptop and I brought the MK3 with me. Do you have a suggestion on the setting? Right now we are stranded in Amarillo. Truck died coming out of the campground. Sitting at Gene Messer Ford. They say some electrical gremlin. So the Force has totally left me.

More later
    Keith
    Another truck issue? Dang--rough trip so far, Keith.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda Keith, '04 Ford Powerstroke.. I think they were know for having injector control board issues. Longer than normal starting is a symptom of the board starting to have issues. I'm not 100% but had something to do with the solder connections not being great.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Yoda Keith, '04 Ford Powerstroke.. I think they were know for having injector control board issues. Longer than normal starting is a symptom of the board starting to have issues. I'm not 100% but had something to do with the solder connections not being great.
        howson
        Well we made it. Got here Friday afternoon. Beaver Run campground is nice. A bit rustic but very clean and quiet. Sites are gravel and buried in the trees. Plenty of room. Trailer is working well. Mt third bathroom switch is working out great (only works when both other switches are off) My backup assist lights are fantastic. Got into a campground late and it made is very easy to see the site and back in correctly. Thermostat went a bit wonky (scrolling through stuff ) with out touching, but I pull and reinstalled the cover and got it set. It went into heat mode (at least furnace worked) for about 3 minutes even though I had reset to AC. Had to turn the T=stat off for it to stop and that took another 15 seconds. I read somewhere there is a free replacement cover available. Sumo springs and new tires made the trailer soo smooth I sometimes forgot it was back there. It was loaded to the max too.

Tomorrow I will hook up the laptop and see what I can change on the Victron. The unit shut down at the alarm, so I need to look at shut down voltage as well as the alarm setting. Plan at this point is 11.8 volts Steady state voltage (trailer sitting all day with no usage) is 13.2 Touch 50 is showing storage.

I do have an idea for another thread and that is to track down and measure every parasitic power drain. I am usually seeing 43 watts of DC power usage. No lights and fridge on gas. I tried to look up what the radio draws on standby, but no luck. A switch is in the future to turn the radio totally off when not in use. Ill need to figure out a way to temp disconnect the smoke and propane detectors to get measurements on them - using 712 via the Touch 50. Or has someone already done this?

Truck - problem was an interment short to ground in a wiring harness that runs across the top of the engine. A bolt had rubbed a hole in the insulation. He was lucky to find it. He insulated the cable, but did not remove the harness and fix the individual wire. Harness is no longer made or available. He insulated and put the cable in a hose to prevent any movement. Truck seems to run fine, except AC is going out - Not fun. Ford dealer in Statesboro said they could not even look at it, so I have information for a local repair place that comes highly recommended. Hope it is something simple like a recharge. AC has never ben touched since 04

The other issue us a growling sound when coming to a stop - not brake related. I think the down pipe is off alignment and rubbing the cab (it attaches to the turbo and the turbo needed to be removed to do the high pressure oil pump) - or it could be the AC compressor - who knows.

When I get home I am ordering a new truck - what brand is up in the air right now.

Thanks for all the help folks
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Yoda
          I know very little about lead acid batteries so did some reading. First off, the charge profile for your Crown is very specific and documented in Crown's documentation. I've never tried to program the Multiplus for the three phase profile required by the Crown, so no joy there in helping you out.

For the voltage...according to everything I can find (Crown doesn't publish any voltage levels?) when the battery voltage is at 12.06 volts that equals a 50% SoC. To get maximum life from the battery pack that's when it's time to recharge--using the three stage profile. (Lead acid takes it's charge slow and long, so no inverting while it's charging.) 11.5v is about 20% SoC from my reading. Certainly possible, but that SoC will shorten their lifespan (according to all the reading I've done).

Since you're stating the warning is coming at 12.2 volts, that's below the actual 50% SoC of the battery bank. (I think the BMV isn't reflecting the SoC correctly.) The warning is a programming issue. Easy enough to have it warn you at the 30% SoC (~11.75v) and then shut down the inverter at 11.6 (just above the 20% SoC mark).

Uploading the spec sheet below. All the other information was derived from reading multiple sources...you can easily find the same info with good 'ol google.

Howard

P.S. I've done my best to be accurate with the information posted above, but please take everything with a grain of salt. I'm not a lead-acid battery expert and most certainly didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
          Well I think I have the BMV 712 correctly set now.

Howard from the specification sheet I get the following;
          100% SOC should be 14.22 V Calculated at 2.37V per cell with 3 cells times 2 battery's in series. I had this setting at 13.2v for some reason.
          on the second page of the sheet

100% discharge is 10.5V
          50% discharge is 11.64V
          40% discharge is 11.82V
          20% discharge is 12.3V This is the optimum discharge point to maximize the battery cycle life.

I hope I have this correct. I plan so set the warning at 11.8V and shut down at 11.6V

AM solar also has a handy chart to set up the 712 Solar Panel DIY Installation Help & RV Solar Power Setup | AM Solar I adjusted the charge voltage to 14.2

For some reason I don't have full access to my old emails. When I get home I will look up my Crown contact and re-verify the settings. I used my smart phone to reprogram the 712 - fairly easy once I remembered to hit the wheel to get into the settings.

Now to plug into the mother ship and see what I can find in the inverter and other settings.

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A bit frustrated - DW laptop will not connect up. Using the MK3-USB it does not see any devices. Went through a lot of trouble shooting but no go. Even tried restarting and doing the CerboGX check when you plug it into the CerboGX. Nothing. So when I get home I will drag my desktop out and try again. Inverter was set to charger only. I then tried on inverter, but it went into overload warning (shore power running). I don't remember if I tried with unit off but powered up. Ill do some more reading. Could be my error.

The saga continues

BTW the Dometic T state went bonkers on settings - I touched it . Had to pull the cover off to actually get it to take inputs, but if I put the cover on it immediately goes to heat mode. Running with cover off for now and sent a contact email on issue to Dometic.

Comment

Keith,
              When connecting the laptop to the Multiplus with the USB-MK3, was it the only ethernet cable plugged into the Multiplus?
              Did the drivers for the USB-MK3 get installed on the laptop, either via VictronConnect or VEConfig?

From your thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...2898#post52898
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

A bit frustrated - DW laptop will not connect up. Using the MK3-USB it does not see any devices. Went through a lot of trouble shooting but no go. Even tried restarting and doing the CerboGX check when you plug it into the CerboGX. Nothing. So when I get home I will drag my desktop out and try again. Inverter was set to charger only. I then tried on inverter, but it went into overload warning (shore power running). I don't remember if I tried with unit off but powered up. Ill do some more reading. Could be my error.

The saga continues

BTW the Dometic T state went bonkers on settings - I touched it . Had to pull the cover off to actually get it to take inputs, but if I put the cover on it immediately goes to heat mode. Running with cover off for now and sent a contact email on issue to Dometic.
                Boy you've had a heck of a run. I had that problem with the Dometic thermostat a few years ago and they sent me a new cover and it was good for two years. It recently started doing it again, this time I just ordered a replacement thermostat and changed but it only lasted a few months. I'm considering the internet enabled one from Micro-Air. I don't really need the internet part but I just want to get away from the bad Dometic design.

I don't know how long you're on the road for but if you have internet access and want to troubleshoot let me know. I can talk you through getting me logged into your wife's laptop and we can give it a go. As Gene mentioned it's probably a driver issue.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                  Keith,
                  When connecting the laptop to the Multiplus with the USB-MK3, was it the only ethernet cable plugged into the Multiplus?
                  Did the drivers for the USB-MK3 get installed on the laptop, either via VictronConnect or VEConfig?

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Ok Ill try downloading the drivers. Man did I have a senior moment today Tomorrow I am off to get the truck AC fixed. Hope to find some nice folks to squeeze me in.
                  Thanks
                  Keith

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                    Keith,

Gene I tried it several ways and disconnected the multiplus to cerbogx. Next time I will do this with the multiplus off, but powered up as I did the first time and the only connection will be to the MK3. Drivers now down loaded. May be a day or so before I get a chance to find out.

Thanks
                    Keith

Comment

Update
                      While I have not reprogramed the Victron yet I seem to have a bit more voltage in the morning after Walmart glamping. I think this may be to resetting the 712. I had 12.6 volts the other morning. Daughter doing good left am and now at Meridian Mississippi KOA. Nice quiet place and fairly level pull throughs. No other GD units here. Tomorrow will get to DW's folks house in Pinola and I will have a chance to reset the Victron. Canceling New Orleans due to Covid and may take a new route home through Hot springs Arkansas.

Truck saga - while in Statesboro had truck AC looked at by independent shop. Total Tire and Auto Care found main fan clutch faulty along with a worn fan belt and idler pully that was not running true (my squeak) I am going to have strong words with my favorite dealer when I get back as I specifically asked for all belts and hoses be checked. AC now working correctly. So so far over 4K in repairer costs this trip and now I have a growling noise and slight vibration coming I think from the trans area while sitting at a stop light. I can only hear it in the cab. Trans is running and shifting fine and was fully serviced before I left.

Trailer
                      With Cover off the thermostat is working perfectly. AC is drawing about 1800 to 1950 watts so I can easily run trailer with my 2- Honda 200'is or possibly one. I am slowly dialing in the parasitic losses during the trip tracking lights in an off. Ran through rain - no leaks, all valves work no plumbing issues - all good.

One tip - do not store the coffee pot in its box next the propane doctor. Opened trailer to screeching alarm sound. Box had pushed against the test button. On my old unit this happen but detector was old and faulty - had to rip out to get it to stop.

So dinner is ready, DW want me to get off pooter - more later as the trip continues.

Keith

Comment

Update
                        While I have not reprogramed the Victron yet I seem to have a bit more voltage in the morning after Walmart glamping. I think this may be to resetting the 712. I had 12.6 volts the other morning. Daughter doing good left am and now at Meridian Mississippi KOA. Nice quiet place and fairly level pull throughs. No other GD units here. Tomorrow will get to DW's folks house in Pinola and I will have a chance to reset the Victron. Canceling New Orleans due to Covid and may take a new route home through Hot springs Arkansas.

Truck saga - while in Statesboro had truck AC looked at by independent shop. Total Tire and Auto Care found main fan clutch faulty along with a worn fan belt and idler pully that was not running true (my squeak) I am going to have strong words with my favorite dealer when I get back as I specifically asked for all belts and hoses be checked. AC now working correctly. So so far over 4K in repairer costs this trip and now I have a growling noise and slight vibration coming I think from the trans area while sitting at a stop light. I can only hear it in the cab. Trans is running and shifting fine and was fully serviced before I left.

Trailer
                        With Cover off the thermostat is working perfectly. AC is drawing about 1800 to 1950 watts so I can easily run trailer with my 2- Honda 200'is or possibly one. I am slowly dialing in the parasitic losses during the trip tracking lights in an off. Ran through rain - no leaks, all valves work no plumbing issues - all good.

One tip - do not store the coffee pot in its box next the propane doctor. Opened trailer to screeching alarm sound. Box had pushed against the test button. On my old unit this happen but detector was old and faulty - had to rip out to get it to stop.

So dinner is ready, DW want me to get off pooter - more later as the trip continues.

Keith
                        Sounds like mostly good things (except the repair costs but at least its fixed). Hopefully thats it for this trip and things go smoothly from here on out.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Sounds like mostly good things (except the repair costs but at least its fixed). Hopefully thats it for this trip and things go smoothly from here on out.
                          Thanks Neil - sure hope so.

Comment

Yoda Keith, check the rear trans mount. Also I have found that vibrations TRAVEL better than WATER flows. That fan clutch and idler pulley they replaced could be causing the issue. Watch the fan for balance just in case it has an issue (you will see the wobble). You may not believe it, but an out of balance fan can cause vibrations all over the place.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              Yoda Keith, check the rear trans mount. Also I have found that vibrations TRAVEL better than WATER flows. That fan clutch and idler pulley they replaced could be causing the issue. Watch the fan for balance just in case it has an issue (you will see the wobble). You may not believe it, but an out of balance fan can cause vibrations all over the place.
                              Thanks Joseph Il take a look
                              Were safe in Mississippi at DW's folks house tonight. Spent last night at a nice KOA outside of Meriden Mississippi. While backing into a tight spot in soft grass to park at DW's folks house I got no strange or grumbling noise. So I will do a bit of pulling and shoving when under there. It sounds at times like muffled water cavitation . However trans and Tq converter seem to be operating correctly.

Tomorrow I hope to reprogram the Victron.

Question - do I need to move the driver files into the Victron connect folder? Right now they are in a separate driver folder?

More later
                              Keith

Comment

Thanks Joseph Il take a look
                                Were safe in Mississippi at DW's folks house tonight. Spent last night at a nice KOA outside of Meriden Mississippi. While backing into a tight spot in soft grass to park at DW's folks house I got no strange or grumbling noise. So I will do a bit of pulling and shoving when under there. It sounds at times like muffled water cavitation . However trans and Tq converter seem to be operating correctly.

Tomorrow I hope to reprogram the Victron.

Question - do I need to move the driver files into the Victron connect folder? Right now they are in a separate driver folder?

More later
                                Keith
                                I will tag in gbkims on the drivers, when I did mine I thought they auto installed.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X