Roof top solar with carry out solar, how to connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof top solar with carry out solar, how to connect

I have 2 x 100 W solar on the roof and a 100 W carry out panel. What are the suggestions for wiring these into the Renogy Rover controller 40A? The roof panels are connected in series since they might be in shade some of the time.

Do I need 2 switches and fuses, or can they be combined?

We will be going to Alaska in May 2022 for 4+ months. Most nights will be boon-docking.

I was going to add more solar up top, but we traded in the 10 month old Expedition ( great power, but the CCD suspension fought with the weight distributing hitch ). Got an F150 PowerBoost with the 7.2 Kw power station.

2021 Imagine 22MLE

If the mobile solar panel has a charge controller already on it you could just wire direct to the battery or connect to the exterior solar port, if your Rv has that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      If the mobile solar panel has a charge controller already on it you could just wire direct to the battery or connect to the exterior solar port, if your Rv has that.

Brian
      No, the carry out DOES NOT have it's own controller.
      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post

No, the carry out DOES NOT have it's own controller.
        I am not familiar with that particular controller, but generally you would be paralleling the carryout with the rooftop panels. When doing that you want them to be the same size and capacity, but if you are putting two in series on the roof, then that array is going to have a higher voltage than the carryout will. I would suggest paralleling the roof panels so the voltage is the same on all three. Then just give yourself some kind of disconnect to hook the carryout to. Maybe a small Andersen connector? Just put the wires going to the connector on the terminal with the ones coming down from the roof and plug and unplug the carryout as needed. When connected the controller will be fed with the additional wattage and current the carryout provides, and when not it would just run off the roof, less wattage but the same voltage.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here's another option for connection: https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-Weat...7TB7XH2H&psc=1. Pulling that up opens up a whole lot of choices for installing low voltage stuff.
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Ya, agree with Neil, getting both solar sources to provide the same voltage would be key.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
            X