LFP battery choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Even the cheapest batteries I've seen tested all tested over 100ah, so not sure their 'categorizing' really accomplishes much. I'm pretty sure the cells aren't the price difference, I believe it's the engineering and time involved in the solid packaging of the battery as a whole. And they are assembled here.
    Scott,

I agree. Everyone should be sizing the battery so it will deliver the stated capacity. I cannot say who does not but in theory it should be done by all since cells are not all the same. But similar performing cells should be used together. For BB to do this in the states, it will cost more than to have the entire pack matched and tested across the pond.

Jim

Comment

I'm holding out till someone figures out how to build a BMS that can fully charge the battery from the TV. It should not be that hard to build a DC-DC trickle charger into the BMS.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph,

Your going to be waiting a long time. Battery prices are falling sharply....even the battle born since the competition is now in the 300 dollar range. So price is the attraction right now and a built in DCDC will add cost. If the charger/BMS fails, the battery becomes a door stop. Same thought on those combo FM, DVD, VHS machines from years ago. One feature failed and it ended up in the trash.

Jim

Comment

There is a seller on EBay selling new Lion Energy UT1300 for $550 with free shipping. Not sure how they are doing this but that is substantially cheaper than any place else. It always makes me nervous when someone is selling at a much lower price but I think I may take the risk and order a couple.
          2019 Reflection 312BHTS
          2018 Silverado 2500 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Ascrone View Post
            There is a seller on EBay selling new Lion Energy UT1300 for $550 with free shipping. Not sure how they are doing this but that is substantially cheaper than any place else. It always makes me nervous when someone is selling at a much lower price but I think I may take the risk and order a couple.
            Here is one for $369.99 and an Amazon warranty can be added for up to 4 years. As lithium production continues to ramp up, price on batteries will fall.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...a-901567943688

Also Will who is a talented fellow is impressed with this battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUhjDkQY5Q

Jim

Comment

howson Thank you Howard.

Please remove this one as well.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

So..still looking at various batteries. Probably going SOK or Renogy, but I saw an ad for a brand I hadn't't heard of before.
                Here is their battery description...

"The BMS has a low temperature charge and is disconnected at a high temperature. Such as overcharging, depth discharge, overload, overheating, ground fault, can be used in the battery in which the battery is in the state of the battery."

I decided not to buy their battery offering....
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Here is one for $369.99 and an Amazon warranty can be added for up to 4 years. As lithium production continues to ramp up, price on batteries will fall.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...a-901567943688

Also Will who is a talented fellow is impressed with this battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQUhjDkQY5Q

Jim
                  That Ampere Time 200Ah Plus looks interesting at a max discharge of 200A. The regular 200Ah one is rated at 100A max discharge. The big issue Will had is cold temp charge protection on the 100AH model. I wonder if this model fixed that?

Edit: Never mind - reviews are horrible.

Keith
                  Last edited by Yoda; 01-14-2022, 01:36 PM.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

That Ampere Time 200Ah Plus looks interesting at a max discharge of 200A. The regular 200Ah one is rated at 100A max discharge. The big issue Will had is cold temp charge protection on the 100AH model. I wonder if this model fixed that?

Edit: Never mind - reviews are horrible.

Keith
                    Keith,

I believe all makers should have a low temp cut off but its really overrated unless you camp in the winter and need a $10.00 overseas BMS and temperature probe connected to a single cell to keep you safe. A bit of sarcasm where really if your not in the extreme cold and/or your batteries are in a heated or semi heated area, this is not a problem. Your Victron components will also offer battery temp where you can be alerted if there is a risk. I believe in monitoring conditions to keep the BMS inactive. I would not recommend discharging or charging a drop in battery at 1C where they will last longer at 0.5C for both. Interesting that we discharge packs for RC airplanes at 3C but I do not sleep with them.

We will boondock in early spring and late fall where the temps may dip to below freezing where our pass-through will always remain in a safe range in both cold and hot conditions. Why the early AIMS battery that I have did not include this feature is odd but it may be due to their chargers having temperature compensation which IMO is how all these batteries should be handled.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Keith,

I believe all makers should have a low temp cut off but its really overrated unless you camp in the winter and need a $10.00 overseas BMS and temperature probe connected to a single cell to keep you safe. A bit of sarcasm where really if your not in the extreme cold and/or your batteries are in a heated or semi heated area, this is not a problem. Your Victron components will also offer battery temp where you can be alerted if there is a risk. I believe in monitoring conditions to keep the BMS inactive. I would not recommend discharging or charging a drop in battery at 1C where they will last longer at 0.5C for both. Interesting that we discharge packs for RC airplanes at 3C but I do not sleep with them.

We will boondock in early spring and late fall where the temps may dip to below freezing where our pass-through will always remain in a safe range in both cold and hot conditions. Why the early AIMS battery that I have did not include this feature is odd but it may be due to their chargers having temperature compensation which IMO is how all these batteries should be handled.

Jim
                      Thanks Jim.

We do make a trip to Mississippi in Dec sometimes and all my stuff is in the front bay. subject to the cold. I can kill the solar to not try and change below 32 or whatever the cut off is, but I am not sue if I can program the Multiplus to not charge below the minimum, so in a crutch I need the BMS to cut off any charge to prevent damage. Its down the road a bit before I get these, but right now the SOK looks good. Ill also need to watch temperatures before turning the future DC-DC system during our travels. The other thing, for winter storage I will need to remove the batterys and bring them inside the house. Right now I have my flooded batterys still in the unit hooked up to shore power.

Its interesting watching Will Prowse on his tear downs. Lots to be learned - then a lot more reading afterward. With the prices dropping all the time I might be able to afford them by fall or spring of 2023. What I like about Will is he calls it the way he sees it and exposes false advertising like no cold cut off.

Learning a lot here
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith,

You can expect prices on these batteries to continue to fall. As long as mining is not disturbed and continues to follow demand.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X