LiFePO4 location.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiFePO4 location.

I notice a lot of people put their LiFePO4 batteries in the pass through.
    Why?
    Seems to me with all the things I put in the pass through I would be concerned about equipment getting 'nudged'. And then you sometimes have multiple batteries with large gauge cabling.
    The available fault current would be a concern to me.
    I would think the original location seems safer.
    School me please.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

I don't know about your Reflection, but our Solitude has a ton of space behind the rear wall of the front passthrough.
    I put all of our batteries, all the solar gear and the inverter back there.
    Out of sight and protected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6267.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	74336
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
      I don't know about your Reflection, but our Solitude has a ton of space behind the rear wall of the front passthrough.
      I put all of our batteries, all the solar gear and the inverter back there.
      Out of sight and protected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6267.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	74336
      WOW!!!!! What a neat clean install. Any chance you can do a write up of what you did and the thought behind the equipment choices. I can see you put a lot of thought into this.

Scott'n'Wendy
      Scott - I mounted all of my gear in the front bay of my 5th wheel just for the reason you mention. I dislike it when the smoke escapes from the wires
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

KamFlyer
        That's impressive. Looks like it's from a lab board in college. Nice and neat..as opposed to the way an RV factory employee assembles things in the background.
        I'm going to have to look. I believe there is probably space there.
        2021 303RLS

Comment

I put mine in the front storage where the old battery was. Out of the way and easy access. There was no room behind the wall in the pass thru as seen above to make my system work and I did not have to crawl into the compartment to do all of the work or fix something when needed.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            I notice a lot of people put their LiFePO4 batteries in the pass through.
            You'd have to read the full story as to my design choices, but the enclosure in my pass-thru houses everything except the Multiplus. This avoids anything bumping the other equipment and perhaps most importantly, shortens the 4/0 wire run from inverter to battery bank.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-in-a-315rlts

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

KamFlyer Rob,

What an awesome install! For Scott, Scott'n'Wendy I have a fairly simple system where my one LiFeP04 battery is located in the pass through in its original marine style battery box. The main reasons to do this is:

1) Batteries are not water tight unless they carry an IP65 rating or something similar. Also no object can find its way to the terminals with an enclosed battery box.

2) Secondary heating and cooling from the main cabin would benefit the battery in the pass through. LiFeP04 batteries do best in temperatures we find comfortable.

3) Battery out of sight for thieves.

4) The battery mounted in the Pass through is close to the main panel, charger. and cut off switch so far less resistance.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Any chance you can do a write up of what you did and the thought behind the equipment choices. I can see you put a lot of thought into this.
                I did do a write up of the original install. You can read it at http://rctravels.rmcd.ca/p/blog-page.html
                It has undergone a few changes since the write up though. The picture is very close to current.
                -
                Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

4) The battery mounted in the Pass through is close to the main panel, charger. and cut off switch so far less resistance.

Jim
                  Hmmm. Yes I never considered that. Having the battery close to the charger(s) would be a benefit. Especially for those like KamFlyer with multiple batteries.
                  Although, for myself, I'm not going to try and run my propane fridge and A/C off batteries so likely to start off with just one battery so wire size will not be ridiculous.
                  Plus my panels will need to be portable because when we're boon docking it is in forested areas with tall trees.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Hmmm. Yes I never considered that. Having the battery close to the charger(s) would be a benefit. Especially for those like KamFlyer with multiple batteries.
                    Although, for myself, I'm not going to try and run my propane fridge and A/C off batteries so likely to start off with just one battery so wire size will not be ridiculous.
                    Plus my panels will need to be portable because when we're boon docking it is in forested areas with tall trees.
                    Scott,

For a simple system the battery could be placed in the passthrough and wired to the battery cutoff switch. Or left out on the tongue and wired in as is as long as extreme heat or cold is not in the mix. An inverter would call for better wiring.
                    The original WFCO is rated at 55 amps so GDRV should have the proper size wire in the rig already. The WFCO can be replaced with a WFCO LiFeP04 model and there most likely would be no wiring changes, but I would check against an ampacity chart. Unless a DCDC is added, its best to disconnect the TV charge wire and make sure there is reserve power for the break away brake function while traveling. So this would be treated similarly to the add on break away kits that are out there.

Folks can install an inexpensive system this way and still enjoy the benefit of 95% less generator use.

Jim

Comment

The WFCO can be replaced with a WFCO LiFeP04 model and there most likely would be no wiring changes,
                      I have no personal experience with the WFCO LIFEPO4 charger, but there are reports of it not going into bulk mode for lithium batteries.
                      Apparently the WFCO needs to see less than 11.0 volts to trigger bulk mode. Which would mean the battery would have to be pretty much exhausted....
                      I saw that info on the 'other' forum and it would need to be confirmed before taking as gospel.

2021 303RLS

Comment

I have no personal experience with the WFCO LIFEPO4 charger, but there are reports of it not going into bulk mode for lithium batteries.
                        Apparently the WFCO needs to see less than 11.0 volts to trigger bulk mode. Which would mean the battery would have to be pretty much exhausted....
                        I saw that info on the 'other' forum and it would need to be confirmed before taking as gospel.
                        Scott,

That would be a big deal. The drop in LiFeP04 WFCO would be so nice if it functioned properly. 11.0 volts is too low even for lead acid.

Jim

Comment

That would be a big deal.
                          Scott'n'Wendy -- I agree with Jim. If that rumor is true about the bulk mode, find a different charger. (Consider contacting WFCO directly to resolve the question.)

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                          X