12V 10 CU. FT on solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V 10 CU. FT on solar

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and currently considering the purchase of a Imagine 2600-RB. This unit has a fridge (12V 10 CU. FT.) that runs exclusively on battery power supported by one roof Solar panel. Does anyone have experience camping off the grid and running off battery only? Under normal conditions will the batteries maintain with the fridge running? days? Will a second panel be required? Our last unit could run on propane or electric when on 30 amp. This no propane thing has us concerned so any information will be appreciated.

Your battery life will depend greatly on the usage. Almost all of the items in the RV will use 12 v dc power, except for the AC, and electric fireplace , heated recliners and such. All other circuits, lights, pump, awning, slide out and so no will use battery power, along with the fridge. How much you use these items and how much sunshine that is available to the solar panel will determine how much charge that you receive during the day light hours. I have read some that folks have had good luck with the factory solar and the dealer installed deep cycle battery lasting for a weekend or so , again depending on the usage. I have removed the factory gas/electric fridge and replaced it with a 12 v dc fridge and have really liked it but, I have Lithium batteries that will have longer life when fully charged than a deep cycle battery.

I think you can do it but you will have to monitor your usage and learn how much you use and how much the solar recharges you during day light hours. A small generator would recharge you in a couple hours or so. Adding more solar and/or lithium will make a huge difference but that is a rabbit hole that I have stuck a couple toes in but I am trying not to go too deep.

There should be some other owners here that will have better input on the stock setup and how it all works.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian I appreciate the feedback. Just curios, why did you change from gas/electric to electric?

Comment

wightrv2022

I also deleted you other post as we do not allow duplicate posting of topics in different channels.

Welcome to the Forum, when you get a chance check out our welcome letter Welcome Letter to New Members, as it will help you navigate and use this Forum.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by wightrv2022 View Post
          Thanks Brian I appreciate the feedback. Just curios, why did you change from gas/electric to electric?
          I added 2 lithium batteries, Lion energy UT1300, and the gas fridge was a little small , only 8 feet. Plus as we are traveling we needed to run on gas which I have done for years but never really liked it. The 12 v dc fridge also seems much more efficient. Since adding the batteries and the fridge I have also added 2 solar panels for those times that we do dry camp to be able to stay a little longer. The gas fridge worked very well with no issues over the years but I just wanted to update and have easier use. Not a real definitive answer but did it mostly because I wanted to.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Ok thanks.

Comment

I've been running a 12V compressor refrigerator for three years now. But I have 800 watts of solar and three lithium LiFePO4 Battle Born batteries. Only once did I need to revert to a generator and it was because i was parked in the shade for several days.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

wightrv2022 You will need a small generator to not be disappointed while boon docking IMO. The lead acid battery in my 2600RB (now LiFeP04) had just enough power to run the furnace (set to 68F on nights dipping to low 40s) for one night in the early spring and late fall to 50% DOD.

Your manual should list the current draw from the fridge at 100% duty cycle (will be something less while cycling) and how many amps your solar panel will deliver in full sun such as on open roads which will help you to determine travel time. You can also factor in around 7 amps delivered from the 7 way connector from the tow vehicle.

You will really like the 2600RB.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM.

Comment

My .02 is that IF these trailers are used like the large majority of travel trailers are, which is campground to campground, typically with hook ups, they will perform flawlessly and should never have an issue with the battery not being charged enough to keep the 12v fridges running fine. Between the single solar panel and solar charge controller, alternator charging (minimum that that is) and then being plugged into a power post most nights, the battery should always be charged enough to operate the fridge while underway. Even a night off grid in a non-hook up spot should be fine.

The challenge will come for those who choose to dry camp occasionally, I think in those cases a portable generator will be the minimum necessity to keep the battery topped off.

Then for those more extreme off grid campers, they will need to upgrade their power systems just like those who have traditional 3-way refrigerators, with sophisticated battery banks, solar charging, inverters, etc..
                  Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

wightrv2022 I recently installed an 8 CF DC fridge to replace our gas/electric fridge. Our current setup is a single 300W panel with two AGM 12v batteries. About 5 or 6 hours after we setup the fridge started beeping at us and flashed an "E3" error code meaning voltage was out of range (range is about 10v to 15v). Huh? Didn't make sense until I went to use the microwave. We never plugged into shore power. So, our setup will last about 5 or 6 hours with fridge turned all the way up.

The reason we changed was based on poor performance of the 2 way fridge and the small interior volume. THe new DC fridge has about 20% more volume (with same exterior dimesnions), does not turn off when traveling, and cools quicker.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                      wightrv2022 I recently installed an 8 CF DC fridge to replace our gas/electric fridge. Our current setup is a single 300W panel with two AGM 12v batteries. About 5 or 6 hours after we setup the fridge started beeping at us and flashed an "E3" error code meaning voltage was out of range (range is about 10v to 15v). Huh? Didn't make sense until I went to use the microwave. We never plugged into shore power. So, our setup will last about 5 or 6 hours with fridge turned all the way up.

The reason we changed was based on poor performance of the 2 way fridge and the small interior volume. THe new DC fridge has about 20% more volume (with same exterior dimesnions), does not turn off when traveling, and cools quicker.
                      This answers the OPs question directly. 5-6 hours with two batteries. Was this at night or in heavy cover by chance? I would expect a bit longer with solar added but I do not have solar so.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

This answers the OPs question directly. 5-6 hours with two batteries. Was this at night or in heavy cover by chance? I would expect a bit longer with solar added but I do not have solar so.

Jim
                        We arrived and setup as the sun was setting...so mostly at night. At the time I had 2 kids charging their phones, one charging a laptop, and multiple LED lights were being used. IF it were daytime I think the solar panel would keep up with the energy demands of the fridge.

Our fridge has a "night mode" which reduces energy consumption by about 28%.

Based on just this one trip, there's some changes we are going to make before we are 100% confident boondocking for an extended period of time:

-Pack the fridge differently to allow better air flow. The freezer section kept temperature very well, but the fridge struggled. We found food was frozen in the rear of the fridge but was struggling to keep at the correct temperature in the front of the fridge. We found we were blocking the fan with food which didn't allow air to flow throughout the fridge which forced us to crank up the power setting which consumed more energy than necessary. I think we can reduce energy consumption another 10-15% with better airflow.
                        -Take advantage of night mode. This alone should allow extra hours of run time until the sun hits the solar panel.
                        -Major energy upgrade. We will be installing another 600W-1000W solar panels and increase battery bank to about 10kwh of usable energy. This is probably unnecessary for just the fridge, but does align with goals of long term silent boondocking, and gives us an "emergency" shelter when power goes out at home (The Texas power outage in February last year was a wakeup call).
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 How many days do you think you would get by reorganizing the fridge and using night mode while dry camping in a heavily forested campsite? How about the same conditions in the fall where the furnace is used during the nights while dropping to mid 40s?

I believe these fridges are a great idea for 100% safe travel where folks still need to know how they perform while dry camping without adding additional equipment. We have a lot in PA and are sometimes there for 4 days or more on a heavily forested site. No AC other than the generator.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            acoleman43 How many days do you think you would get by reorganizing the fridge and using night mode while dry camping in a heavily forested campsite? How about the same conditions in the fall where the furnace is used during the nights while dropping to mid 40s?

I believe these fridges are a great idea for 100% safe travel where folks still need to know how they perform while dry camping without adding additional equipment. We have a lot in PA and are sometimes there for 4 days or more on a heavily forested site. No AC other than the generator.

Jim
                            That's a good question Jim. I think the fridge will go through the night. In the morning we can start up the generator if necessary to charge batteries. Solar panel should be able to keep up with fridge during the day.

If you use a generator, I would like to think you could boondock for many days.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

That's a good question Jim. I think the fridge will go through the night. In the morning we can start up the generator if necessary to charge batteries. Solar panel should be able to keep up with fridge during the day.

If you use a generator, I would like to think you could boondock for many days.
                              Thank you acoleman43

Yes dry camping with a generator is a must and is the first and most important accessory IMO. But what I'm after to help the OP is what he can reasonably expect while dry camping with the unit purchased as is. So based on the information you have provided, I believe its fair to state that one night before the battery is discharged, and if the furnace is used during the night, it most likely will not make it for a full night.

If no sun the next day, or if the campsite is heavily shaded, the trip is over without a generator.

Not trying to discourage the OP where we have the old style Norcold fridge which works well for us but I would never dry camp without the generator.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X