Super easy lifeP04 solar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super easy lifeP04 solar install

I purchased a BLUETTI EP500 solar generator as an AC power alternative to a gas generator living in the hurricane capital of the world and live kind of in the country where it takes a while sometimes for power to be restored. I purchased 4 portable 200W solar panels to go with it.

i have been reading most of the topics here in the solar, electric and many other areas and started pricing what it would take to get a comparable system just in parts (which I may actually do if I get a house in the mountains) and they are very impressive setups

But I kept coming back to using the solar generator in both places… I park the 5th wheel right next to the house so i won’t even have to pull the generator out. Just run some electrical cords into the house. The key difference between a solar generator and a gas one is the solar one really should not get wet as it is more like a computer with a lot of battery power

So with some help from our moderators I was able to support the garage floor of my 31MB with a fitted piece of plywood and I took the wheels off my generator so it would fit and there is just enough hight to fit in, standing up and being able to access the 30Amp DC power output on the top of the unit. I will be bracing it into place for travel and I will have to open up the whole where my solar panel wires are fed in from the roof, into the basement. The widened hole will be where I route two heavy duty 20amp extension cords that will plug into 2 of the 4, 20amp receptacles on the generator. If I want to mount my solar panels somewhere else to reach sun I will also route my 50ft. solar panel extension cords through the same path.

Once the cords are in the basement I am adding a new access point in the front of the plastic well on the driver’s side as the other one is for the water hose and I will route the 2 extension cords out through it to plug into an adapter that takes two 15/20amp input and joins them into a 50amp RV female plug. I plug my normal RV cord into that running it under the RV from the original grid connection point.

i turn off the large AC unit, water heater, converter and fire place at the inside panel.

For the DC side I have the 30Amp out put that I am connecting into a battery switch that will only allow one battery bank or the other (does not have the option for both). The house battery that came with the unit is in one side and the generator on the other. My switch has not come yet but my son came and helped me load the unit into the bay and there is absolutely no sag with the plywood base! I put my portable panels on the roof and connected them in series into the Jaboni connector and tested the front AC unit.

i am very happy with how it is going so far and will provide updates and more pictures as I finish. The beauty of this set up is that I can take it all with me if I sell my RV and I did it all very quickly as a plug and play solution. It is not fully automated but I can control the unit from my phone. I can turn on and off both AC power and DC power either from the device or my phone as well as receive alerts like over load shut down and battery capacity and solar input.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 02-27-2022, 07:21 PM.
    Bob & Beka Richards
    31MB Reflection - 2020
    Anderson Hitch
    ​​​​​​​F250 w/Godzilla and 10k tow package - 2022

More pictures
    Attached Files
    Bob & Beka Richards
    31MB Reflection - 2020
    Anderson Hitch

Comment

More pictures part 2
      Attached Files
      Bob & Beka Richards
      31MB Reflection - 2020
      Anderson Hitch

Comment

Sorry for all the separate posts
        Attached Files
        Bob & Beka Richards
        31MB Reflection - 2020
        Anderson Hitch

Comment

Bob R -- interesting alternative. Thanks for posting!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Looks like a great system. I am curious as to how it all works when you get a chance to use it for a period of time to see how it all performs.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Bob R I like it. Very nice job! Let us know how it works out for you.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Interesting. What exactly is a solar generator? A battery and inverter all in one package?
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Think of it as a all-in-one solar system where you can plug in solar panels and grid power and pull from it DC and or AC power for later if the grid is not available or as a UPS. There are many options on the market now. When I purchased this I was part of the crowd funding so I received a really good deal on it. Many videos out there, I like the HOBOTech ones myself.
                  Bob & Beka Richards
                  31MB Reflection - 2020
                  Anderson Hitch

Comment

Country Campers I tested running the smaller AC unit and that is the picture showing me consuming a little over 1200 watts and it started as normal… I had the thermostat set at 80 and it was a hot afternoon yesterday so it kick on and off several times. I had the solar panels pointing too much to the east of the sun as it was the afternoon so I was only getting at max 400 watts coming in but by the time I shut it all down after dark and reconnected to the grid I had used 13% of my bank.
                    we will be doing our first real boon docking for a 3 day weekend in March but I plan on running my fridge on propane and bringing a Honda EU2000i just in case it is a really cloudy weekend.
                    Bob & Beka Richards
                    31MB Reflection - 2020
                    Anderson Hitch

Comment

In looking at the specifications it appears to be a 425AH* battery with a 2000W inverter. Whats interesting it the 240V capability https://www.bluettipower.com/product...SABEgKZ7_D_BwE

Does it have a built in MPPT solar controller? I also could not tell if the inverter is pure sine wave or not. Looks like a nice set up.
                      Keith

* watt hour to amp hour conversion https://convert-formula.com/ah-wh
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Both included… pure sine wave with a spike of 4500 watts I believe
                        Bob & Beka Richards
                        31MB Reflection - 2020
                        Anderson Hitch

Comment

More done on it today… got the whole cut in the well and installed the pass thru as well as the whole from the garage to the basement. I purchased the wire loom and put it over the extension cords that go through the whole but will not attach them until I have the unit braced in. I cut all the braces but none of them are attached yet… heading out of town for 2 weeks so last update until then.
                          Attached Files
                          Bob & Beka Richards
                          31MB Reflection - 2020
                          Anderson Hitch

Comment

Finally was able to secure the ep500 and route all the wiring in the front garage and routed and attached in the basement for routing outside. I have not received my DC switch so I have not tightened up the wire looms.
                            Attached Files
                            Bob & Beka Richards
                            31MB Reflection - 2020
                            Anderson Hitch

Comment

So we just came back from our first boon docking adventure in the forest in Old Town, Fl near the Swanee River. We were mostly under canopy and it was as low as 55 F at night and as high as 82 one of the days. I placed my portable panels out and adjusted them the second day of our 3 night trip.
                              We used propane to run the fridge and the water heater (about an hour each day b4 and during showers for the two of us).

Battery use:
                              DC was left on the solar generator for everything accept the load leveling jack system as the generator has a max DC output of 30 amps. It did the slides and the awning fine, one at a time.
                              AC power was used as needed and I primarily kept it off and turned in on via the app on my phone (Bluetooth connected) as much of the time there was little to no mobile service for AT&T. We used AC to make coffee, wife used her hair dryer every day, etc.

How the solar generator performed?
                              I was VERY impressed with the results and when we packed up and left yesterday morning after putting the panels away the night before due to rain over night we still had 81% battery power remaining! The highest solar input over the entire trip was barely 300Watts for about 1.5 hours and normally during the day was around 100Watts. My other family members were camping with us in their property and used a gas generator (noisy) and we never needed our backup.

We never needed to turn on the air conditioner as we were not around at the hottest part of the day but I will use about 1200 Watts/hr when I do.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bob R; 03-21-2022, 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
                              Bob & Beka Richards
                              31MB Reflection - 2020
                              Anderson Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X