Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General questions about how solar panel/battery works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General questions about how solar panel/battery works...

I have a 2022 2600RB. It came with a Furrion solar panel and controller installed. I have a few questions about how it works...

1.If I understand correctly, the solar panel isn't actually powering anything...it's just absorbing the juice from the sun and moving that energy to the battery. The battery is what powers certain things in the trailer. Is that correct?
    2, What battery is the solar panel charging? The deep cycle RV battery mounted to my trailer tongue?....or other batteries somewhere else in the trailer?...both?
    3. If it's the deep cycle then I assume if I disconnect that battery the entire trailer is dead with no power, correct?
    4. Am I correct in assuming that these items are being powered from the battery fed by the solar panel...
    Fridge/Freezer, ceiling vent fans, interior lighting (switches), all exterior lights (including in storage area), tongue jack/light, heat blower, water pump, water pump, radio....any other?
    5. When I connect to shore power does that then power any of the items above?....or are they all still powered via battery?
    6. Since my fridge/freezer are powered via battery then can I assume it will be operating while I am rolling down the road?
    7. Does turning off the battery disconnect switch on the docking station impact the solar panel operation?...still charging the battery?

I'm sure I'll have more. Thanks for your help.
    Ken
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

Welcome to the forum.
    Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
    I have a 2022 2600RB. It came with a Furrion solar panel and controller installed. I have a few questions about how it works...

1.If I understand correctly, the solar panel isn't actually powering anything...it's just absorbing the juice from the sun and moving that energy to the battery. The battery is what powers certain things in the trailer. Is that correct?
    Mostly true. But imagine you didn't have a battery. If the solar panel was in the sun, there would be enough power to run something such as an LED bulb. So the primary purpose is to charge your battery (batteries).

2, What battery is the solar panel charging? The deep cycle RV battery mounted to my trailer tongue?....or other batteries somewhere else in the trailer?...both?
    It charges your house battery (the one on the tongue).

3. If it's the deep cycle then I assume if I disconnect that battery the entire trailer is dead with no power, correct?
    Not necessarily. If you shut off the battery disconnect switch, you will still likely have some parasitic draws. Some items such as the LP gas detector bypass the battery switch. The only true way to kill the circuit is to remove one on the battery terminals or install a true cut off switch.

4. Am I correct in assuming that these items are being powered from the battery fed by the solar panel...
    Fridge/Freezer, ceiling vent fans, interior lighting (switches), all exterior lights (including in storage area), tongue jack/light, heat blower, water pump, water pump, radio....any other?
    That's a pretty fair assumption. Other items will be the LP Gas Detector.

5. When I connect to shore power does that then power any of the items above?....or are they all still powered via battery?
    When you connect to shore power, the converter supplies 12VDC power in addition to the battery. In fact, you could remove the battery and the converter would still be able to supply enough current to run a few 12V items.

6. Since my fridge/freezer are powered via battery then can I assume it will be operating while I am rolling down the road?
    Yes - As long as the refrigerator is turned on, and the battery is not disconnected.

7. Does turning off the battery disconnect switch on the docking station impact the solar panel operation?...still charging the battery?
    It should not stop the battery from charging. But you can verify this with a volt meter.

I'm sure I'll have more. Thanks for your help.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the details Jim...much appreciated to this newby.

Brings to mind another question, which type(s) of situation(s) I would want/need to use the battery disconnect switch then?
      Ken
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
        Thanks for the details Jim...much appreciated to this newby.

Brings to mind another question, which type(s) of situation(s) I would want/need to use the battery disconnect switch then?
        Due to the parasitic draws even when off I really never use it. I pull a battery cable to truly disconnect. However with you solar you need to identify where it ties to the battery so you know if it is disconnected too as the solar controller draws power when the panels are not charging such as at night or if the unit is covered.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

kd2600RB. Check out this link that we put together to help provide guidance to people interested in getting started with solar.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv-ra...r-presentation

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
          X