No announcement yet.

28BH Inverter Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acoleman43 I understand what you're suggesting but I'd be surprised if that's what the factory had in mind. For one thing if wired that way (back feeding the panel) then you'd need to lock out the main when using the inverter in case you were plugged in to prevent back feeding the pedestal and campground wiring (in case of a power outage for instance).

TucsonJim Any thoughts on the intended wiring here?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
      Here is my AC panel from my 2022 28BH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.jpg
Views:	1849
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	81340
      Can you take a pic of the entire circuit breaker panel and all the breakers? The small pic has me confused.

Even better, a map (as I've encouraged everyone to do many, many times) of the breakers-to-outlets and/or appliances would make it so much easier to understand what's happening. The labels may be a red herring.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks AC, would love to have the Multiplus, but way out of my price range. Have to hit the Loto first. Will continue to mull this one over and revert with more questions as i am sure that i will have them. After getting a new RV in October and spending 5 months tearing it apart and replacing/adding stuff, I am looking forward to actually getting it on the road this weekend and actually going for our first night out. Will continue the project in another week.
        Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
        RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
        PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Al,

Is the inverter prep wire on the side that the battery disconnect switch is on , opposite side of the battery in the front storage? I think that is where it is supposed to come into the front compartment, should be an orange wire loop.

Brian
          Last edited by Country Campers; 04-05-2022, 05:27 PM. Reason: clarify wording
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Al,

Is the inverter prep wire on the side that the battery disconnect switch? I think that is where it is supposed to come into the front compartment, should be an orange wire loop.

Brian
            Brian it looks like his inverter prep wires are on the 115v side, given the breakers he has in his panel. That's what I find so confusing. I would agree the inverter prep wires I'd be thinking of would come from the batteries and be there to feed the input of an inverter.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Brian it looks like his inverter prep wires are on the 115v side, given the breakers he has in his panel. That's what I find so confusing. I would agree the inverter prep wires I'd be thinking of would come from the batteries and be there to feed the input of an inverter.
              My meaning is the inverter prep wires are located by the battery disconnect switch in the front storage, not on the battery side of the front storage. I believe from the documents that I have just been readign the GD has placed the wires on that side and not the battery side.

allenrude

I would also like a full pic of the breaker box, from my readings they are putting a different breaker box in that does not require a sub panel but I have not seen one to know how they are wired. We will be back at the factory next week and will get some answers on what's and how's.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Note the top left side of the picture the breaker marker is 50. It looks like he has a panel similar to mine. It's an A-B-A-B-A-B... setup. That's why the 2 AC breakers are next to each other.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph,

Does your unit have the inverter prep?

At some period in 2021 they started the inverter prep with a special breaker panel, curious what yours looks like.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian, no i do not have inverter prep that I am aware of. I recognize the layout of the brakes to be similar vs some of the other 50A panels with the main in the center and all of the breakers to each side of that to be of the same polarity,
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi All,

i wanted to get back to this really good discussion. Upon consideration I am wondering why I even need to leverage the inverter prep wiring (assuming that I could even figure out what the intent of it was)? So if I did the following would I not negate the need:

Shore power TO
                      Watchdog EMS TO
                      ATS TO
                      AC Main 50 AMP breakers

Then add the inverter to the ATS on the other leg IN.

Other than adding the appropriate fuzes/breakers, what did I miss? The current Inverter prep remains as installed, as a couple of breakers on wires looped in the chassis...
                      Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Hi All,

i wanted to get back to this really good discussion. Upon consideration I am wondering why I even need to leverage the inverter prep wiring (assuming that I could even figure out what the intent of it was)? So if I did the following would I not negate the need:

Shore power TO
                        Watchdog EMS TO
                        ATS TO
                        AC Main 50 AMP breakers

Other than adding the appropriate fuzes/breakers, what did I miss? The current Inverter prep remains as installed, as a couple of breakers on wires looped in the chassis...
                        That's correct. I'm planning out an install of Multiplus type 2 with a buddy and we're eliminating the inverter prep since he wants to have all his circuits on the inverter. We'll pull out the factory 10/3 NM and I'll just run a short 10 AWG (maybe 8 because I'm cautious) from the out breaker to the in.

Neil Citro

Comment

Hi All,

Shore power TO
                          Watchdog EMS TO
                          ATS TO
                          AC Main 50 AMP breakers

That's essentially what I'm doing. I have an onboard generator as well...so...

Shore power to a main breaker and generator to a main breaker.

Main breakers of shore power and generator to ATS.

ATS to the inverter

Inverter to the main AC panel.
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

That's essentially what I'm doing. I have an onboard generator as well...so...

Shore power to a main breaker and generator to a main breaker.

Main breakers of shore power and generator to ATS.

ATS to the inverter

Inverter to the main AC panel.
                            ??? I don't get the first sentence Shore power to a main breaker and generator to a main breaker. (Long day--I may be missing something.)

Isn't it...

Shore Power and Generator > ATS > Inverter > Main Panel

In that configuration if both shore power and the generator are not going through the Inverter (bypass mode) the inverter kicks in.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

??? I don't get the first sentence Shore power to a main breaker and generator to a main breaker. (Long day--I may be missing something.)

Isn't it...

Shore Power and Generator > ATS > Inverter > Main Panel

In that configuration if both shore power and the generator are not going through the Inverter (bypass mode) the inverter kicks in.
                              The breakers for shore power and generator are completely separate from the main panel. I wanted to have a breaker between shore power and main panel and generator and main panel for OCD reasons.
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Good clarity and discussion. I thought that i was on the right track and rather than spending any more time trying to de-construct how GD intended their inverter prep to be used (would help if they gave us a hunt), i will just ignore and end up with a couple of spare breakers in the 120V box if i ever want to use them for something else. All I have to do now is to justify starting another project as I have spent many more days working on the RV than actually camping in it. Truth is, I enjoy the projects...???
                                Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Working...
                                X