Solar Connector on Side of Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Connector on Side of Trailer

I've tried to look for a thread that is this specific... but exactly how do I use the exterior solar port that is on the driver side (near the front pass thru) of my 2019 Imagine XLS 18RBE trailer? Does it connect to the battery? Do I need an external controller to charge the battery? I do NOT have wires running to the roof.

The port may not be terminated all the way to the battery. On my 21 303, there is a fuse holder with a fuse in it, but that's where I think it ends. There is another wire between there and the battery but they are not connected. GD was nice enough to put WAGO Connectors on both of the wires so hooking the system together should be pretty straight forward as long as the panel is setup to charge directly to the battery with no MPPT or other system. If an MPPT is needed, the wiring is already there just need to tie into the MPPT or other controller.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

The Furrion port on the side of the trailer was specifically designed for the Furrion 95 watt portable panel to be plugged in. The Furrion panel has a built in solar controller. However, the Furrion panel is VERY pricey. The retail price was around $500, and they no longer appear to be available.

But, the port is great if you want to purchase another brand of "solar suitcase". You'd need an adapter from the Furrion port to the new suitcase. The suitcase panel should be 120 watts or less, and have a built in controller.

Here is an example of a reasonably priced suitcase style panel:
      https://smile.amazon.com/DOKIO-Monoc...s%2C152&sr=8-6

This is an example of a Furrion adapter plug. You could easily modify it to accept any type of lead for a solar suitcase by cutting and splicing the wires.
      https://smile.amazon.com/Extractme-I...s%2C138&sr=8-3

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Please excuse my cluelessness. But what is a WAGO connecgtor and what is a MPPT? Where would the fuse holder be? Does your trailer have the same Furrion port on the side of the trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
          I've tried to look for a thread that is this specific... but exactly how do I use the exterior solar port that is on the driver side (near the front pass thru) of my 2019 Imagine XLS 18RBE trailer? Does it connect to the battery? Do I need an external controller to charge the battery? I do NOT have wires running to the roof.
          You've got an "old" Furrion port, right? That has a proprietary (Furrion) connector that was made to be used with a portable panel setup. https://furrion.com/products/95w-portable-solar-charger

The portable panels had a built-in PWM controller. Very low power setup. The old kit may no longer be available new. (Not 100% sure about that.)

As Joseph said, the connector may (or may not) be connected to your battery. Easy enough to test if you have a multimeter--set it on DC and probe the connector ends. Doesn't matter if the leads are reversed...one way will show +12V and the other -12V (if it is indeed connected to the battery).

Gently pry back the passthru's front wall (you'll find screws in it hopefully) and trace the wires. They should come out underneath near the "A" frame.

I recently repurposed the one on my trailer as it was useless to me as it was. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...power-port-mod

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Please excuse my cluelessness. But what is a WAGO connecgtor and what is a MPPT? Where would the fuse holder be? Does your trailer have the same Furrion port on the side of the trailer?
            Most 100 watt solar suitcases have a PWM type controller which will work fine. You don't need to add an MPPT controller as long as the suitcase has it's own controller. The fuse should be 10 amps, and located under a black plastic cover on the inside of your RV near where the solar port is mounted.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              The Furrion port on the side of the trailer was specifically designed for the Furrion 95 watt portable panel to be plugged in. The Furrion panel has a built in solar controller. However, the Furrion panel is VERY pricey. The retail price was around $500, and they no longer appear to be available.

But, the port is great if you want to purchase another brand of "solar suitcase". You'd need an adapter from the Furrion port to the new suitcase. The suitcase panel should be 120 watts or less, and have a built in controller.

Here is an example of a reasonably priced suitcase style panel:
              https://smile.amazon.com/DOKIO-Monoc...s%2C152&sr=8-6

This is an example of a Furrion adapter plug. You could easily modify it to accept any type of lead for a solar suitcase by cutting and splicing the wires.
              https://smile.amazon.com/Extractme-I...s%2C138&sr=8-3

Jim
              Thanks! That is helpful. So the plug is directly connected to the battery? And If I don't use a Furrion panel then I can replicate one with the adapter plugged into a controller w plugged into a 100 watt panel. What do I look for in a controller?

Comment

Dadeo6472 WAGO is a name brand of lever wire connector: https://www.wago.com/us/c/wire-splicing-connectors basically it jut pinches the wires each in their own port. Levers are used to put pressure on the wire to the bus bar thus transmitting energy to the other ports in the connector. if something happens, flip the lever and unplug the wire(s) as needed.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks! That is helpful. So the plug is directly connected to the battery? And If I don't use a Furrion panel then I can replicate one with the adapter plugged into a controller w plugged into a 100 watt panel. What do I look for in a controller?
                  If you purchase a portable panel with a built in controller, it will already be set up for use. Nothing else needs to be added except for the Furrion to generic adapter.
                  Your port may or may not be connected to the battery. But as mentioned, simply put a volt meter on the contacts. If it reads 12 volts or more, it's connected to the battery. If there is no voltage, it should be pretty easy to trace it.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                  X