Server Rack EG4-LifePower4 Lithium Battery | 12V 400AH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Rack EG4-LifePower4 Lithium Battery | 12V 400AH

We will blame this on Will Prowse. I was watching a few of his new battery reviews and tear downs and I ran across this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJbbXPD0JA While this is a 24V version review I found they make a 12V 400 AH unit. https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifep...ery-12v-400ah/

So this got me to wondering long term. The industry is changing fast.and Will sure likes to test and tear things apart

This got me to thinking about the future when my 4-6V set up dies, and might be a new starting point for others.

I would need two for the Multiplus as max current output is 200A. https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-lifep...ery-12v-400ah/ the have downloads of the manual and specification including the BMS software, It appears they are both current and charge protected. In searching they appear to be RV compatible Two of them will take up less room than my 4-6V crowns (520 AH ), but I would need to be careful on the install to allow for winter removal and storage. The foot print is 17.4" x 18.5" x 6.1" flat and would be roughly 14" high stacked, but I believe they can go on thier side too.

The other option would be 3- 206AH SOK or even 4 - 206AH which would take up a 26" by 16" foot print 12" high - al little bigger than my current set up. However I noticed the downgraded the heated version of the 206 AH. Old unheated https://www.us.sokbattery.com/produc...e-battery-pack New heated and blue-tooth https://www.us.sokbattery.com/produc...uilt-in-heater

Thoughts? I have emailed the EG4 folks on the RV install - if allowed.

Ill go hide for a while
    Keith

UPDATE
    There appear to be some BMS issues with this battery https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ss...ing-bms.38706/ It will not handle 200A discharge as per specifications. Appears to be a software issue. I have inquires into them.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-24-2022, 03:56 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I like the SOK batteries but for 2 reasons, 1 they will only accept 50 amp charging, 2 they have a metal enclosure. The 50 amp charging is big compared to the Lion Energy, they will take 100 amp, cuts charging time in half if you are running a generator.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I like the SOK batteries but for 2 reasons, 1 they will only accept 50 amp charging, 2 they have a metal enclosure. The 50 amp charging is big compared to the Lion Energy, they will take 100 amp, cuts charging time in half if you are running a generator.

Brian
      You like or dislike?? The old version can be charged up to 70 amps and they have a 206 AH in a plastic waterproof case too. https://www.us.sokbattery.com/produc...ed-plastic-box

Just checking?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I did not know they had a plastic case version. I do like the SOK but the Lion is good also, plus I already have 4 of them.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda I've been watching the SOK but I'm not ready to try it in an RV yet. Maybe for a shed project or something, but I'm just not happy with the charge/discharge ratings. I'm still team Lion or BattleBorn for RV use with an inverter.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda THe EG4's will be cheaper than the SOK's by more than $1500 if you plan on 4 SOK's vs 2 EG4. As far as EG4's, 2 of them are 10KWH+ for just $3000 plus tax. That is an incredible deal. SOK's will be $4800 plus tax.

I bought four 24V 100AH cell packs from Signature, then added an Overkill BMS to them. Total footprint for 10KWH+ power is just 28"x17"x6" for a total cost (with tax) of just over $2800 (about $0.27 per KWH).

These will be installed on the floor in a homemade "box". I will line the floor with a 1/4" rubber lining that will take some vibration, then secure them to the side of the "box".

The BMS has over/under voltage protection, over/under current protection, over/under temperature protection. It also came with a bluetooth module where I can customize many safety parameters based on the recommended settings from the battery manufacturer, see current charge rate of each cell, current temperature for each of the 2 temp sensors, show any error/warning through an app on my phone. Range has been over 50 feet for the bluetooth module.

The EG4 cells are 3.2V Lithium A+ prismatic cells which should give you at least 4000+ cycles, but likely over 6000 cycles.

So, I'm taking a chance that these will work in an RV environment. I'm pretty sure they will

Let me know what Signature tells you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Signature-Overkill.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	86030
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
              Yoda THe EG4's will be cheaper than the SOK's by more than $1500 if you plan on 4 SOK's vs 2 EG4. As far as EG4's, 2 of them are 10KWH+ for just $3000 plus tax. That is an incredible deal. SOK's will be $4800 plus tax.

I bought four 24V 100AH cell packs from Signature, then added an Overkill BMS to them. Total footprint for 10KWH+ power is just 28"x17"x6" for a total cost (with tax) of just over $2800 (about $0.27 per KWH).

These will be installed on the floor in a homemade "box". I will line the floor with a 1/4" rubber lining that will take some vibration, then secure them to the side of the "box".

The BMS has over/under voltage protection, over/under current protection, over/under temperature protection. It also came with a bluetooth module where I can customize many safety parameters based on the recommended settings from the battery manufacturer, see current charge rate of each cell, current temperature for each of the 2 temp sensors, show any error/warning through an app on my phone. Range has been over 50 feet for the bluetooth module.

The EG4 cells are 3.2V Lithium A+ prismatic cells which should give you at least 4000+ cycles, but likely over 6000 cycles.

So, I'm taking a chance that these will work in an RV environment. I'm pretty sure they will

Let me know what Signature tells you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Signature-Overkill.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	86030
              Signature said there testing showed the 200a discharge was good - numerous posts dispute that - however as I have time to wait I will be watching. I also posted on Will's site the issue with the 12v 400 AH set up. I am hoping he might test it in the near future, Signature said they were good for RV. They also responded they were working with the builder on the bugs. .At least they respond to emails and seem concerned to provide the best. I have time to watch and wait, Prices keep dropping and capacity keeps increasing. Please post on you build - looks interesting
              Keith

The more I learn I might be an EE yet...........NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get shocked too many times. Maybe that's why my hair fell out

Learning as much as I can

Keith

Comment

I saw those this last weekend and thought that is a great price for 400ah, looks on the outside like it is well built, etc. I'm not sure how I would mount them since they are designed for a server rack, but I'm thinking, if they can take the vibration issues of an RV, they would work great. We need user reports! :-)
                2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
                2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
                X