Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How and where to Run romex for dedicated inverter outlets...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How and where to Run romex for dedicated inverter outlets...?

Hello All. I have at 2021 GD Imagine 2500 RL. Can anyone advise on how to run Romex (3 wire) from the front pass-through storage (where I'm mounting my Inverter) to the TV/Microwave area (2/3 way back)?
    I'm confused on where the wiring is run, and I'd sure like to NOT have to drop the underbelly all the way back. Ideas? electrical schematics?
    2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
    2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Originally posted by RockingKCranch View Post
    Hello All. I have at 2021 GD Imagine 2500 RL. Can anyone advise on how to run Romex (3 wire) from the front pass-through storage (where I'm mounting my Inverter) to the TV/Microwave area (2/3 way back)?
    I'm confused on where the wiring is run, and I'd sure like to NOT have to drop the underbelly all the way back. Ideas? electrical schematics?
    In most cases it runs in the belly or the attic and comes up or down an interior wall. On my unit 80% is in the attic. An easy way to check is find your distribution panel and see how they ran the service wiring from it. Might give you the access you need. Another way is just install a sub panel and move the dedicate circuits over to it and possibly put in a transfer switch to feed it. Lots of threads here on this topic.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sorry, but most likely the best way is to run the wires will be between the floor and coroplast, thus it involves gaining access. On my 315RLTS there's a large hole behind the Nautilus panel where the plumbing is routed. I used this hole to get inverter wiring from the passthru area to under the trailer.

The wiring comes back into my trailer at the hutch, since there's also a large hole where the furnace ducts and a multitude of OEM wires transition from under the trailer to the bottom of the hutch.

If you're not familiar with the 315RLTS floorplan, below is a generic representation with a (very) rough drawing showing how the wires are routed. (Inverter is mounted in the passthru, camp side where the wires terminate.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	315RLTS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	89040

Specifically where the best place is on your 220RK will depend on what you find when looking underneath.

Good luck--and take lots of pictures and document the install (please). If you haven't found it yet, modifications are listed in an Excel workbook that's periodically updated. (Look under the Modifications channel.)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mine should be very similar to you rig. Here's what I ended up doing. Pulled the distribution panel. Installed an ATS from WACO. From there, the 10/2 was installed directly to the generator part of the ATS. From there, had the wife help as we ran the romex through the existing hole just behind the distribution panel down. Only removed screws from the underside on the passenger side enough to gain access to run the romex to the front. So, how the get that wire into the pass through. Needed to pull the front wall off, found a small open area in the frame right under the wall, you can't see it but you can feel it there. Took a dowel and punched through the vapor barrier and cut out a small part of the vapor barrier, run the romex up and behind the wall, reattached said wall. Ran the wire up and over the the inverter mounted to the front wall. Secured with padded clamps, plugged in said wire to the inverter. Had to hunt for a good plug, none of the big box stores had what I considered a decent one, procured one at a local electrical supply store.

Rather than mess with flipping the converter breaker on and off as needed, installed a toggle switch on the hot lead from the converter and installed it next to the distribution center. The ATS has a 30 second delay once the power is supplied from the inverter and if I forget to flip off the toggle switch, I can get to it pretty quick. (Have a label reminder next to the on button as a reminder).
        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

I had a similar issue with my 17MKE. I decided to attach a 10 ga. Romex to the inverter in the front pass-through and plug it out on the frame. See picture. I then connect my shore cord to it and plug that into the AC inlet in the back. All my circuit breakers are off except the main and the A/C plugs. This way I can use EITHER the invertor or shore power but not run the risk of using both at the same time. True it is a pain getting the cord out but the cup of coffee in the morning out weighs the hassle.
          Jeff & Pam
          2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Thanks all for the help and the pics are especially helpful as well. I'll post in a separate post my next conundrum about the inverter wiring to a transfer switch and into the power center. I'm stuck about how the wiring can be set up so as not to try to charge the battery with the inverter -----errr, Battery--- :-)
            Last edited by RockingKCranch; 07-07-2022, 04:33 PM.
            2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
            2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
            X