wind blowing steps partially out while towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind blowing steps partially out while towing

we just had a break in the weather last week and got a chance to pick up our trailer. everything went well until 30 miles from home when the wind was gusting hard enough it partially pushed our steps back out. the interstate had been closed down because of the gusts so it was blowing pretty good. i did not catch the steps being part way unfolded in my mirrors and only found out the hard way when i hit them on a narrow bridge. not a good way to end our trip. i was marvelling on how wonderfully light and easy the steps unfolded and folded when we picked up the camper , best steps i have ever used to date.not anymore. does anyone have a good source for a new set of steps? we are getting another storm today and tonight but when it clears back up i can try and rebend them so they are useable but it is a new trailer so would like to replace them. it was also just the bottom step that had unfolded so that is the only one that got bent.
    the trailer itself is phenomenal. first grand design we have owned and so far very impressed. we had pretty cold temps at night and it stayed fairly cozy inside. we are very pleased with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	110233
    2022 imagine 22mle 2014 ram 2500 6.4 hemi

Since you are replacing the steps, maybe research whether you want to replace in kind or maybe go with solid steps before you buy.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I have the three step Alumatread stair that I removed from my 5th wheel to replace it with a four step stair. If interested send me a message.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

thanks for the replys , i really liked how easy these were to use , they just glided out so think i will replace them with the same if i cannot straighten them out as well as i would like. if i could remove the bottom step i could really get them straightened out pretty good i think but its held on by it looks like two big rivets that they pivot on and would need to find how to replace those. we just got home so once it stops snowing i can do a better job of seeing what i can do. i will let you know about your offer on the 3 step stair , i appreciate that much!!

Comment

Moved to "Exterior" Channel.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            I have the three step Alumatread stair that I removed from my 5th wheel to replace it with a four step stair. If interested send me a message.
            thank you for the offer of your steps. i had a chance to work on mine this weekend and have them functioning fairly well , a little more tweaking on them and i will have them looking pretty good. next time it blows like that i will anchor them so they cannot do that!!

Comment

max2bob glad you got it worked out. I had a similar event happen but not due to wind. A person who shall remain unnamed left the stairs down at a fuel stop and the fuel island curb reached up and tweaked the stairs as we departed the fuel stop.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by max2bob View Post

thank you for the offer of your steps. i had a chance to work on mine this weekend and have them functioning fairly well , a little more tweaking on them and i will have them looking pretty good. next time it blows like that i will anchor them so they cannot do that!!
                I had a similar issue on my old trailer. I just used a small bungee cord to tie them in.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I had a similar issue on my old trailer. I just used a small bungee cord to tie them in.
                  that is kind of what i was thinking , quick and easy thanks! for anyone visiting montana this summer that was the stretch from big timber to livingston montana , its easy to get 60-70mph gusts through there

Comment

Working...
                  X