Awning Maximum Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Maximum Wind

Is there a recommended maximum wind speed (sustained or gust) for the Solara Awnings installed by GD? Providing all the usual disclaimers (don't leave an awning extended while you are away, put it up, etc., etc. generally - don't be stupid). I'm a retired engineer so...I do math in my head. If I know the average wind speed for the day is light and below a certain value, then the awning goes out, and I'm enjoying the shade. If not, then it stays stowed.

What is that number? What is that recommended maximum wind speed? Is it 5mph, is it 20 mph?
    2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ LB, 2020 Transcend 32BHS, Gainesville FL

I use the time tested "hat method" for weather. If I take off my hat and my hair is blown around then the awning stays in.
    I dont recall ever seeing a value for whats a safe wind speed. I do know that they arent very robust and it doesnt take a lot of wind to damage them.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

As important as wind speed is wind direction. If ours is beginning to “flutter” and before it begins to bounce . . . it comes in or gets tied down. I know that manufacturer advice is not to tie it down, but this works in light winds. I would guess that 10 MPH wind speed from any direction other than the other side of the trailer is time to bring the awning in.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

One of many search responses: How Much Wind Can My RV Awning Take? – Outdoor Troop​. All seem to say the same, 20 to 25 mph. Cate&Rob is right that direction matters.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I too use tie downs when the winds are in the low teens. At a rally years ago the Carefree rep told me they're fine, that's why they're on the market. Of course he would deny ever giving said advice if called on it. So common sense comes in to play. If winds are steady in the teens then gusts will be in the 20's. If the awning flutters or leaps with the tie downs in place then the thing gets rolled in.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
            I use the time tested "hat method" for weather. If I take off my hat and my hair is blown around then the awning stays in.
            I dont recall ever seeing a value for whats a safe wind speed. I do know that they arent very robust and it doesnt take a lot of wind to damage them.
            What happens if you have no hair ...... I know bald is not an appropriate term any more so I say follicle challenged
            subsurfcpo
            I would say anything over 10 mph or if there is the potential for gusts, bring it in.. Out west here it's the surprise gusts that will do you in. If it is flapping or moving much in it comes. If I think about it I try and pick a camping spot that will have afternoon shade on the door side so I don't need to put the awning out.

In many way I wish I had my old manual awning for years past. Example https://www.campingworld.com/carefre...gid=rv-awnings

It was much more robust and you could take the legs off the trailer and pin to the ground. But everyone want automatic theses days.

Now back to the tied down - there used to be a source that had the adjustable poles and cradle for the awning and tie down hardware, but I cant find it anymore.. Looked something like this but had metal components https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-R019...7099312&sr=8-7

All I can say is better safe than sorry as it does not take much to damage them..

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I did tie down one of our awnings and I know someone that tied one down the same way. I actually got lucky and the small arm that you use to set the pitch got bent at the joint between the 2. Coworker actually had his BREAK there.

From research several years back, the tie downs are not designed or intended for awnings that have gas struts.

Any time the awing starts flapping along the edge more than 3" or so, or if I can feel it inside the camper, then it gets rolled up. If there is enough force to rock the camper then there is a decent amount of load being put on the slightly better than adequate fastening system (highly technical term here).
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

There is no set speed for the wind. It all depends where the wind is coming from. I've had my awning out in gusty weather where it doesn't move and other times a breeeze bounces it around.

If it starts bouncing a little it comes in. I never leave it open when we're away from the trailer for a decent length of time either.
                2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
                2023 F-350 SRW 7.3 Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X