Vermin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermin

Sooooo...a squirrel chewed through the floor of our trailer to gain access. Street side rear corner. So if I plug the hole....I figure he's just gonna chew another hole. What deters squirrels?
    Other than the obvious that utilizes an optical sight.
    Ideas anyone?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Like the OSB floor or the underbelly?

I would "remove" the squirrel the easiest way possible, as noted it will be back.

You could add some thin aluminum sheeting to the outer edges of the floor, like a wheel well liner but all around. Not sure if there is a spray or something that will deter them.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think you are going to have to entice him into a baited live trap to be sure that he is out of the trailer. Whether he stays live or not, is a subsequent decision. Check all your electrical circuits . . . there is rats nest (squirrel’s nest?) of chewable wiring back there.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        Sooooo...a squirrel chewed through the floor of our trailer to gain access. Street side rear corner. So if I plug the hole....I figure he's just gonna chew another hole. What deters squirrels?
        Other than the obvious that utilizes an optical sight.
        Ideas anyone?
        Mother Earth News had a home made deterrent a while back for any critter chewing. stuff and pigs, deer or elk. It involved a blender full of scotch bonnet peppers and or ghost peppers. They pureed and strained the mixture and used a sprayer. You must wear gloves and goggles when making this.. It may of had some vinegar in it too.
        I used to use a similar mixture of cyan peppers to deter my puppy chewing things I did not want him to have, but my dog got used to it and chewed more

Another option is contact you local animal control and possibly rent or borrow a trap. Some places will relocate the offending critter.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          I think you are going to have to entice him into a baited live trap to be sure that he is out of the trailer. Whether he stays live or not, is a subsequent decision. Check all your electrical circuits . . . there is rats nest (squirrel’s nest?) of chewable wiring back there.

Rob
          I second Rob's comment. Check wiring. One of the little buggers entered my passthru when I was working on the tailer and went up and got up above our bed. Only knew it cause I heard him. Luckily, I banged on the ceiling which caused him to make a quick retreat. Saw him scamper off as I looked thru the window. I didn't think more of it til a week or so later when my router stopped working. Pulled the USB out of the shelf over the bed and it had just stubs for wires. And he couldn't have been up there more than an hour.
          Wish it would have been 110 rather than usb but then I would have had to fish a dead squirrel out of the ceiling.
          Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
          2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
          2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

I'm not sure if this is helpful, or not... I use this voodoo magic thing when the trailer sits in the driveway connected to shore power. (The two labs take care of wildlife during the day .)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Does it work? Dunno. I can say I haven't had issue with mice, rats and the like.

Mike
            Last edited by NoPeeking; 10-22-2023, 02:57 PM.
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Like the OSB floor or the underbelly?
              Between the frame and outer skirting at the rear near the tail light. They only have to chew through fabric and foam there. But I've never had a critter try that before. And hard to know for sure if he's gone......

2021 303RLS

Comment

When we were camping in Utah this past summer, I heard a mouse in the RV. At about 3am, all hell broke loose. The mouse came out to play and our Brittany spaniel spied him. It was pure pandemonium for a couple of minutes, but we no longer had a mouse problem.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

[QUOTE=trkester;n122162]
                  Only knew it cause I heard him. Luckily, I banged on the ceiling which caused him to make a quick retreat. Saw him scamper off /QUOTE]
                  Well banging on the underbelly seemed to work. Didn't see him scamper off.....but haven't heard of him since.
                  Then I put a small piece of underbelly tape over the hole. Just to see if a critter would push it out of the way or whatever.
                  The tape is really good tape. Recommended to me by Second Chance
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disclaimer....If you like mice...stop reading further...

In searching vermin trapping techniques I came across a hack that maybe some others haven't heard of. From time to time I find a baited trap I set.... empty of bait....but no dead mouse. Some mice have a very soft touch I guess. But I found a little tip that works very well. Bait the trap with peanut butter worked into a piece of cotton. Wedge the cotton into the trip pedal and have some hang out. When the mouse tries to eat the peanut butter some cotton gets caught in their teeth and ....snap

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                  X