Repairing frame cracks in axle location bulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing frame cracks in axle location bulletin

I came across this post on an FB page I follow. I know there are a few people reporting frame cracks at axle locations. This is the fix according to this service bulletin from Lippert.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Looks like the Morryde X-Bracing but permanently welded to the trailer. Too bad I am not a welder to be able to do this myself.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
      Looks like the Morryde X-Bracing but permanently welded to the trailer. Too bad I am not a welder to be able to do this myself.

Rob
      Back in 2020 I had Lippert weld 2 x 2 spanning from hanger to hanger but above at the crush tube. One reason was because at the time I could not figure out how to install the Morryde brace with the V clips Lippert welded. This is what their service center came up with and deviates from what they call “axle-retro” because it does not have a gusset under the 2 x 2. At the time, Rob questioned the placement of the 2 x 2 on the crush tube, response from Lippert posted.

If I could weld, it would be an easy and cheap fix but I chose to pay close to $750 for a new hanger (one had broke off), v clips and bracing. So far so good after 40k miles. However, I don’t travel with more than 10 gallons of water, stay on improved roads and don’t go over 60 mph unless I have to pass, And even with how careful we are, had to replace an axle this summer due to a bent spindle (under warranty) hit a pothole somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4907.png
Views:	225
Size:	857.2 KB
ID:	124116

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4908.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	124115

Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

I imagine the 2x2 cross brace on your trailer would reduce the flex in the I beam web above it which would reduce the likelihood of you getting cracks in the web area? I think I would prefer that kind of fix over the x-factor. Doesn't get in the way of servicing your suspension components either. Thanks for posting. I have a welder. I might do something like that next summer. I also might run out of time by camping all summer and not get it done. I never thought I'd say it but since retirement I seem to have less spare time to get stuff done..lol

Beachcamper , I don't suppose you know the wall thickness of the 2x2 cross braces?
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          I came across this post on an FB page I follow. I know there are a few people reporting frame cracks at axle locations. This is the fix according to this service bulletin from Lippert.
          Do you have frame cracks?. If so contact both GD and Lippert with pictures and start a claim. I had a mobile certified welder give me am estimate. Repairs depend on where the crack is and where it propagated from. Lippert covered my repairs even out of warranty. GD helped push them to fix it..

Starting on page 4 of this thread are the various methods used to make the repair. Page one shows the cracks I found, the welder found others. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-cracks/page4
          This is not a one fix for everything situation . The Lippert information looks good, but will not work for all locations. you need to pay attention to welded cross bracing as it can block tank removal should that need to be done. .

To do the inspection and repair properly the welder needed access to both side of the frame, so I had to drop the coroplast. not fun.

Scott'n'Wendy Scott the 2x2 channel used by Lipperrt is 1/8" thick wall. My welder used the same material for reinforcing and cross bracing.

So far everything is holding up well. Ill do a detailed inspection in the spring after I power wash the frame and suspension before greasing. I also have the sprays to apply to have the cracks show up if needed. This is what I have https://www.zoro.com/powerweld-penet...=&gad_source=1 and it does work.

Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Do you have frame cracks?. If so contact both GD and Lippert with pictures and start a claim. I had a mobile certified welder give me am estimate. Repairs depend on where the crack is and where it propagated from. Lippert covered my repairs even out of warranty. GD helped push them to fix it..

Starting on page 4 of this thread are the various methods used to make the repair. Page one shows the cracks I found, the welder found others. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-cracks/page4
            This is not a one fix for everything situation . The Lippert information looks good, but will not work for all locations. you need to pay attention to welded cross bracing as it can block tank removal should that need to be done. .

To do the inspection and repair properly the welder needed access to both side of the frame, so I had to drop the coroplast. not fun.

Scott'n'Wendy Scott the 2x2 channel used by Lipperrt is 1/8" thick wall. My welder used the same material for reinforcing and cross bracing.

So far everything is holding up well. Ill do a detailed inspection in the spring after I power wash the frame and suspension before greasing. I also have the sprays to apply to have the cracks show up if needed. This is what I have https://www.zoro.com/powerweld-penet...=&gad_source=1 and it does work.

Hope this helps
            Keith

Thankfully I don’t! However, I have been seeing so many posts all year on FB and other GD forums of frame cracks in this area. So I was very interested in sharing the new service bulletin Lippert put out. Must be because of all the cracks being reported. When Lippert did my cross bracing a few years ago they actually made sure with me there that the freshwater tank could be removed. In the 2018 303rls that bracing is not in the way.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy;n124119 [USER="365"
              Beachcamper[/USER] , I don't suppose you know the wall thickness of the 2x2 cross braces?
              the service bulletin calls for 2 x 2 11gauge tubing. Yoda posted above as well.

Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
              X