Roof Membrane Material and Sealants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Membrane Material and Sealants

The information came to the moderators from Grand Design (and is posted with their permission).

------------------break-------------------------------------

Superflex Roof Material- (Momentum & Solitude)
    - Use 1021 Self-Leveling on all fixtures for the roof with NO priming needed
    - You CAN use polypropylene and polycarbonate with 1021 self-leveling and NO priming
    - Do NOT use the 2021 self-leveling with the Alpha Polypropylene skylight. (this will curl the edges of the flange)

Alpha Ply Roof System- (Reflection, Imagine & Transcend)
    - Use 5121 Self-leveling on all fixtures EXCEPT for polycarbonate fixtures (This can cause cracking ofthe polycarbonate fixture)
    - You Must use 1021 with any polycarbonate fixture with NO priming
    - If you replace the polycarbonate attic vent and solar port with polypropylene you MUST prime and use 5121 self-level
    - If you replace a cracked polycarbonate attic vent or solar port you CAN replace with another polycarbonate fixture however this MUST be sealed with 1021 self-level and NOT primed
    - Anytime you use 5121 on polypropylene fixture it MUST be primed.​

-------------------------------end break------------------------

Do you have Superflex or Alpha Ply? Depends on the model and year of your GDRV. Unfortunately the moderators do not have a comprehensive breakdown of each type of roofing used over the years on all the different GDRVs, nor which sealant applies to which type of roof material (other than what's posted above).

FYI, the roof material information for your GDRV is not on the build sheet from GD (I looked at mine), so if in doubt and you need a definitive answer ASAP, consult with Customer Service.

As more information is obtained on this topic I'll add to this thread (and/or this post).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard,
    As an FYI, GD customer service manager advised us to use Alpha self leveling sealant on the roof for our 2022 (built Dec 2021) Solitude. For what it's worth, our roof has an off-white somewhat textured appearance. As you point out, I don't think there is a clean cut-off date. I contacted Grand Design the month we took delivery to be sure I had the correct sealant and they told me to use Alpha 1010 non-sag sealant (which is now I believe a Lippert product) as the correct one. Believe that is only the non-sag vs 1021 self leveling version for the Superflex roof.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

There are three questions we need to try and figure out:

1. How can I determine whether I have a SuperFlex roof, or an Alpha Ply roof?
      2. How can I determine whether a fixture is polycarbonate or polypropylene?
      3. What is the correct primer to use?

BTW, many of the products mentioned above can be purchased through the Lippert store. If you know of other retailers selling these products, please share.

https://store.lci1.com/alpha-systems

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post
        Howard,
        As an FYI, GD customer service manager advised us to use Alpha self leveling sealant on the roof for our 2022 (built Dec 2021) Solitude. For what it's worth, our roof has an off-white somewhat textured appearance. As you point out, I don't think there is a clean cut-off date. I contacted Grand Design the month we took delivery to be sure I had the correct sealant and they told me to use Alpha 1010 non-sag sealant (which is now I believe a Lippert product) as the correct one. Believe that is only the non-sag vs 1021 self leveling version for the Superflex roof.
        Usually Non Sag would be used on vertical surfaces (around windows or doors) and self leveling would be used on the roof. I find it odd they recommended to use non-sag on the roof.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Usually Non Sag would be used on vertical surfaces (around windows or doors) and self leveling would be used on the roof. I find it odd they recommended to use non-sag on the roof.
          The text of the email response I received said Trempro 645 for the sides yet also mentioned alpha self-leveling for the roof which I wasn't really looking for. I was actually asking for trim sealant after the filon trim screws snapped. I think there was some confusion on what I needed the sealant for when asking about exterior trim sealant. Somehow I wound up with Non Sag recommendation from parts.
          2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
          2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Thanks Howard...I think?
            ....Just when I thought I had TPO and EPDM sealants figured out..lol. What material is Superflex?
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
            X