2020 390rk - Adding Antenna to Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 390rk - Adding Antenna to Roof

I am wondering if GD has a schematic that can be shared on the 2020 390RK for use in making penetrations to the roof. I am adding 2 WiFi antennas to the rib and I would like to make sure when doing this mod I do not hit any vents or wiring. My initial plan is to pop down somewhere behind the entertainment center, however, if there is a more preferable location that information would be extremely helpful. If anyone has done this and has taken pics, that would certainly appreciate that as well.
    Last edited by JnJRuiz; 07-22-2020, 10:55 AM.

Originally posted by JnJRuiz View Post
    I am wondering if GD has a schematic that can be shared on the 2020 390RK for use in making penetrations to the roof. I am adding 2 WiFi antennas to the rib and I would like to make sure when doing this mod I do not hit any vents or wiring. My initial plan is to pop down somewhere behind the entertainment center, however, if there is a more preferable location that information would be extremely helpful. If anyone has done this and has taken pics, that would certainly appreciate that as well.
    You could call GD customer service to see if they will share the roof plan for this unit , have your vin# ready. They do ask that the drawings they share are not posted in any public places. The roof plan should give you enough info on what you are looking to do. Make sure and explain what you hope to accomplish and they will help you figure the best location.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Also in some cases you can pull the interior trim rings on the vents and get a look under the roof. Its also a way to fish wires around. From the floor plan the bathroom vent should be close. The roof trusses are wood so any stud finder should work finding them.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda The vent on the 390 is almost directly over the sink closest to the wall. I think that the satellite cable wiring outlet on the roof should be close to the entertainment center. The black and gray tank vents run up behind the entertainment center also, so the vent location should provide a few clues, and you can remove the fake fireplace and should be able to see up behind the EC.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

JnJRuiz , can you update where you are on this? I would love to know any details. We just purchased a 2021 Solitude 390RK and are investigating internet options for up at our seasonal campground spot. Nervous about potentially cutting holes and routing wires. If you have had success, would appreciate learning. Also, any quirks during your first year with 390RK would be nice to know.
          Mark, Billie, Jacob, Elianna, Lois
          animals Bella, Indy, Crash
          2021 Solitude 390RK
          2018 F-350 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
          Linden MI USA

Comment

Originally posted by MnBDickey View Post
            JnJRuiz , can you update where you are on this? I would love to know any details. We just purchased a 2021 Solitude 390RK and are investigating internet options for up at our seasonal campground spot. Nervous about potentially cutting holes and routing wires. If you have had success, would appreciate learning. Also, any quirks during your first year with 390RK would be nice to know.
            When I installed my roof mounted WiFi antenna and cellular antenna I brought the wires in through the air conditioner. Once inside there I was able to fish over to the chase that brings down the speaker wire’s and get behind the TV where I mounted everything.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

JnJRuiz , can you update where you are on this?
              Unfortunately JnRuiz hasn't been on the forum since Sep of last year. :(

But we do have a resident 390RK "guru", or should I say "Dragon?". That's you, Jerry! ThePowells
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

MnBDickey - For whatever it's worth, I mounted my antenna above the bedroom TV. I mounted my Pepwave cellular router behind the TV. I use the AC outlet next to the TV to power the router. The antenna wiring drops straight down to the router. Very simple install.
                Brian & Kellie
                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks howson for the vote of confidence . Unfortunately on 2 points, I temporarily digress for MnBDickey . First is that I have had more than enough fermented beverage to formulate a coherent, rational response and 2nd, that I pulled the fake fireplace Sunday night to reset an error light and research another project or I would have looked then. I promise that I will pull it again Tuesday morning and see what I find to help JnJRuiz and at least provide some sort of a cogent response. Pulling the fake fireplace is a less than 5 minute process.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

MnBDickey I pulled our fireplace and looked at the interior space. The only point of reference that will be on the roof is the vent pipe. There are two coming out of the tanks and they mate to one just before going thru the ceiling. Bear in mind that all of my measurements are made in the interior, so the ones on the left wall will have to allow for the wall structure,but I think if you use the vent pipe as an external reference, you should be okay.
                    The centerline of the vent pipe is 22" inboard of the left wall and lies along the front wall (back of shower) and goes thru a piece of 2" framing on the ceiling. IMHO a little bit towards the centerline and even with the vent will put you along that wall. I tried to make an illustration on paint, but this is my first real attempt at a paint illustration so be easy with me. The Pic was taken from below looking up at the cieling. I hope that this makes sense.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF2129.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	46636Click image for larger version  Name:	Wiring chase.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	46637
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ThePowells; 03-18-2021, 10:56 PM.
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Wow!! Just Wow!!! Thank you. you may joke about your first attempt at paint, but the fact you took time out of your day to do this, is amazing and such a blessing! Thank you!!!!! I'm holding onto this one for this spring summer after we take delivery and do a shakeout. I am thinking best bet is to drill hole near centerline of fireplace, and along back wall with vent pipes, but maybe a little forward towards fireplace. How difficult was it to pull the fireplace?

Also - i haven't been up on my roof yet. Does it have a solar spot already in place for running to solar panels? Just curious.

thanks again for doing this!!!! ThePowells ROCK!
                      Mark, Billie, Jacob, Elianna, Lois
                      animals Bella, Indy, Crash
                      2021 Solitude 390RK
                      2018 F-350 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
                      Linden MI USA

Comment

Wow!! Just Wow!!! Thank you. you may joke about your first attempt at paint, but the fact you took time out of your day to do this, is amazing and such a blessing! Thank you!!!!! I'm holding onto this one for this spring summer after we take delivery and do a shakeout. I am thinking best bet is to drill hole near centerline of fireplace, and along back wall with vent pipes, but maybe a little forward towards fireplace. How difficult was it to pull the fireplace?

Also - i haven't been up on my roof yet. Does it have a solar spot already in place for running to solar panels? Just curious.

thanks again for doing this!!!! ThePowells ROCK!
                        Your welcome.
                        There is a cap in place for dropping solar panels, and IIRC it is above the closet where the control center is.
                        There are two Roberson / Phillips screws at the edge of the openings on the fireplace. Once you remove them, the glass slides up and then can be removed. Then their are eight Philips screws you remove and then the left side slides out first as the cord goes in on the opposite side.
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X