No announcement yet.

Wheel bearings - grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a dealer do a complete axle and brake service before we set out on our 4000 mile trip. The trailer was 12 months old so the timing was good. THey found one side of both axles had very little grease.

Based on this, I would get the service done just to make sure all is well.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by christnoll View Post
      What am I missing here. The manufacture says that you are supposed to repack annually without pulling the hub or bearings? I assume most of this discussion is old school and the EZ-Lube is a newer design? https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8
      Please share where you saw that Dexter says you can do the annual repack without removing the hub and bearings.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

The process of servicing the bearings is on page 48-58 and includes significantly more than just adding some grease.
      The maintenance chart is on page 84 and specifically states a 12mo/12k mile interval for a bearing service/inspection.
      The EZ lube system is intended primarily for trailers that are "immersed" such as boat trailers, the video even shows a boat trailer in the graphics and mentions it at the end of the video. it is not a substitute for an annual service/inspection which is a common misconception partly due to dealer misinformation.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I have search for the answer to this in the numerous threads on this topic, but found nothing. And I hope I don't open up a can of worms.
        From the manual page 53
        GreaseThickener
        Type
        Lithium ComplexDropping Point215°C (419°F) MinimumConsistencyNLGI No. 2AdditivesEP, Corrosion & Oxidation InhibitorsViscosity Index80 MinimumApproved

Grease Sources

Chem ArrowArrow 2282Chevron TexacoChevron Ulti-Plex Grease EP #2Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM #2CitgoLithoplex MP #2Lithoplex CM #2Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2ConocoPhillips/76 Lubricants/KendallMultiplex RED #2L427 Super Blu GreaseDexter CompanyLithoplex Red MP #2Exxon/Mobil CompanyRonex, MPMobilith AW 2Mobil I Synthetic GreaseFuchsRenolit Uniwrl 2Great Plains LubricantsLithium Complex EP #2Oil Center Research of OklahomaLiquid-O-Ring No, 167LPennzoil-Quaker State CompanySynthetic Red GreaseRoyal Mfg. CompanyRoyal 98 Lithium Complex EP #2ShellGadus S3 V220CGadus S5 V220Rotella Heavy Duty LithiumComplex #2ValvolineValvoline Multi-Purpose GMValvoline DuraBlend

So what grease brand/specification are folks actually using?

Thanks
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          I have search for the answer to this in the numerous threads on this topic, but found nothing. And I hope I don't open up a can of worms.
          From the manual page 53
          GreaseThickener
          Type
          Lithium ComplexDropping Point215°C (419°F) MinimumConsistencyNLGI No. 2AdditivesEP, Corrosion & Oxidation InhibitorsViscosity Index80 MinimumApproved

Grease Sources

Chem ArrowArrow 2282Chevron TexacoChevron Ulti-Plex Grease EP #2Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM #2CitgoLithoplex MP #2Lithoplex CM #2Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease #2ConocoPhillips/76 Lubricants/KendallMultiplex RED #2L427 Super Blu GreaseDexter CompanyLithoplex Red MP #2Exxon/Mobil CompanyRonex, MPMobilith AW 2Mobil I Synthetic GreaseFuchsRenolit Uniwrl 2Great Plains LubricantsLithium Complex EP #2Oil Center Research of OklahomaLiquid-O-Ring No, 167LPennzoil-Quaker State CompanySynthetic Red GreaseRoyal Mfg. CompanyRoyal 98 Lithium Complex EP #2ShellGadus S3 V220CGadus S5 V220Rotella Heavy Duty LithiumComplex #2ValvolineValvoline Multi-Purpose GMValvoline DuraBlend

So what grease brand/specification are folks actually using?

Thanks
          Keith
          Keith,

For an easy solution, use an approved grease that is listed in your axle manual. There are many good lubricants but I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease that is listed in the manual.

Jim

Comment

Yoda
            Hi Keith,

There are many good greases out there . . . but, they are not all compatible with each other. This is another reason why completely cleaning bearings and hubs is a good idea before re-greasing the bearings. I have used Lucas Red n Tacky for decades. https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease It is available in almost any auto parts store.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The biggest issue is with compatibility. The grease Dexter uses is a "Lithium" based "EP" (extreme pressure) NLGI #2 grease. Most common greases in the parts store and big box stores will fit this bill although its best to look closely at the label. Personally I use the Lucas Red N Tacky but there are plenty of other flavors that will meet the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Keith,

For an easy solution, use an approved grease that is listed in your axle manual. There are many good lubricants but I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease that is listed in the manual.

Jim
                Thanks Jim
                The list in my post is from the Dexter manual and they do list the Mobil synthetic. Is there a problem in mixing the synthetic with what GD used. I know years ago there was (at least with oil) , but wondering if they solved it now.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks everyone - learning a lot here.
                  Keith

Comment

Many base stocks for synthetic are highly refined organic now so syn and non syn are compatible as long as its a "lithium complex" grease. The story of syn and non syn oil not being compatible is/was just a wives tail perpetuated by people asking their cousins, sister in laws Uncle about oil. (or some random people on the internet)

Comment

Synthetic oils tend to have a better detergent package and that's what causes most issues. Mixing is not the issue, but changing from one to the other can cause some things to appear incompatible due to the cleaning. Swapping from synthetic back to conventional can be an issue as some synthetics cause seals to swell and wear differently and when changed back to conventional oil leaks appear.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

The additive package is different between conventional and organic (different classes of base stock) because of the differing base stock properties. Syn does not necessarily have more detergent, just different mix of ingredients in the add pack.

Comment

Factory grease is very thin, when I did my first repack I went with a high heat synthetic bearing grease by amsoil. No issues to date and I used Dexter seals.

Comment

When it's time to do mine, I will not be using Dexter Chinese seals. I would like to find a 2 piece seal set as the are more reliable and have their own wear surface.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have never had a problem with either Lippert or Dexter seals that I have installed. My last 3 trailers all had seals leaking but they had all been packed full via the EZ lube until the cavity was full and the grease blew out the back. As long as they are packed correctly and you keep the Neanderthals with the power grease guns away from them, they have been pretty reliable.

Comment

I have 2021 GD Imagine XLS 22RBE. What kind of wheel bearing grease is used on them? I've read that it is bad to mix different greases. I just want to top off. Wheels feel solid. TIA.

Comment

Working...
                                X