Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stabilizer Jacks - provided tool or power tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Oh I agree about WD-40. I did it because we were just at the beach with the rig and I figured maybe sand/salt....it would help dissolve/rinse that away. I didn't have any illusions that it would grease them.

How often do you think this maintenance (lubing them) needs done?
    Like every frustrating answer... It depends. I'm a weekend warrior, so I do it twice a year. When I winterize, and when I de-winterize. (Camper is parked almost 6 months, so it works for me)
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

With my TT i would do them every few uses. I kept a can of spray White Lithium grease in the front hold next to the hand crank and would spray they threads between the arms so it would stay somewhat protected during travel. Also this meant that the grease was getting worked into the nut. I sprayed they drive end at the same time. Remember the outside is the load bearing side and needs to be greased. i don't think mine had bearings, but just 2 washers.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm normally a pretty mellow person. But I did lose my temper (badly) when a person decided to use an impact driver to raise theirs right next to our bedroom window at 5:30 am. My sailor talk was loud and clear. With that said, I'd use a power driver to raise and lower mine as long as it is not during quiet hours.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          With my TT i would do them every few uses. I kept a can of spray White Lithium grease in the front hold next to the hand crank and would spray they threads between the arms so it would stay somewhat protected during travel. Also this meant that the grease was getting worked into the nut. I sprayed they drive end at the same time. Remember the outside is the load bearing side and needs to be greased. i don't think mine had bearings, but just 2 washers.
          Do you have a link to the product? I may just purchase that.
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Thinking about this for a moment, I had a flashback to a prior century and wondered if this would work. How many of us carry a 4 way lug wrench? I'm sure that the screw head is a standard size and the weight amd momentum of a spinning 4 way would make it much easier than the speed handle provided.... Thoughts since I don't have a dog in this fight?
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I've used several different ones:

https://www.wd40.com/products/white-lithium-grease/
              https://blasterproducts.com/product/...ithium-grease/
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                Thinking about this for a moment, I had a flashback to a prior century and wondered if this would work. How many of us carry a 4 way lug wrench? I'm sure that the screw head is a standard size and the weight amd momentum of a spinning 4 way would make it much easier than the speed handle provided.... Thoughts since I don't have a dog in this fight?
                Physics agree's with you
                Mike
                2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

IIRC the head size on the jacks is 3/4 or 13/16. I'd have to look in my box for the socket for the driver to see.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

So WD-40 is a not what people think it is. It's a water dispersal agent with a mild lubricant in it, but when it dries all the lubricant properties are gone. It's not a great long-term lubricant.

You need to use a long term lubricant, like Chain lube, Spray on White Lithium Grease, or Spray on Silicon. The lubricant you use on the slides could be similar, I haven't looked at it too closely. I use spray on White Lithium Grease.
                    WD-40 can be worse than doing nothing. It washes out the original lubricant from the bearing (or a door lock cylinder) . . . then the WD-40 evaporates and the mechanism is seized more solidly than it was before. The Grand Design factory service techs use CRC Powerlube "for everything" (slide mechanisms, door latches, etc) and I have adopted this thoughtout the RV and pretty much everything else that I work on . When the liquid evaporates, it leaves the lubricant behind.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

WD-40 can be worse than doing nothing. It washes out the original lubricant from the bearing (or a door lock cylinder) . . . then the WD-40 evaporates and the mechanism is seized more solidly than it was before. The Grand Design factory service techs use CRC Powerlube "for everything" (slide mechanisms, door latches, etc) and I have adopted this thoughtout the RV and pretty much everything else that I work on . When the liquid evaporates, it leaves the lubricant behind.

Rob

That is correct. WD-40 is a mild lubricant at best. It is really a dissolvent that will wash everything else away. I used to hear folks describe carrying duct tape to stick things that needed stuck and WD-40 to unstick things that should not be stuck.

I didn't have any issues with the stabilizer jacks this weekend. I will grease them up soon.
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH
                      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

That is correct. WD-40 is a mild lubricant at best. It is really a dissolvent that will wash everything else away. I used to hear folks describe carrying duct tape to stick things that needed stuck and WD-40 to unstick things that should not be stuck.

I didn't have any issues with the stabilizer jacks this weekend. I will grease them up soon.
                        I use the CRC with PTFE on almost everything. Its a dry lube which works well for us on the stabilizer jacks. Oil or grease will attract dirt.

Jim

Comment

Guest Jim, I like the white lithium b/c it films over and looses a lot of that tack that holds dirt.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X