Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shut the Front Door - To shock or not to shock..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut the Front Door - To shock or not to shock..

I hope I'm creating this topic in the right spot, since, depending on where you're standing, could be interior or exterior.

Peeps - I have searched high and low and for the life of me, I can't figure out how Grand Design missed some type of front door stop or at least a small shock absorber to keep the front door from opening all the way, maybe 100 degree's or something adjustable. This has really started to become a quest at this point.. Our front door constantly just bangs open from the wind. Having to step down onto the ladder to reach around to the door handle (which in itself is a flimsy piece of plastic) to grab both the screen door and the actual front door is, well, annoying. (btw. installing RV lock is awesome and fixed that flimsy door handle, what a SOLID upgrade that has been)

I've called GD they referred me to Lippert, Lippert said go here, I've looked here and I can't seem to find any reference to people discouraged about the front door or who has made any mods. Maybe it's me and Rebecca.. /shrug

If someone has a solution please let me know. All I can come up with is looking here: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/adjustable and taking measurements and hoping that this is the right way to go.

If anyone has ANY idea's or applied solutions or a mod, we would be forever grateful.

Jerry and Rebecca
    (going dat way..)

Best Regards,
    DreamRider
    Retired - USMC Master Sergeant
    Grand Design 380FL R - 2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Hi Jerry & Rebecca,

On our Reflection 303RLS, the entry door overlaps the pass-through storage door. I use a commonly available RV door latch to hold the entry door just clear of the storage compartment door. These come in plastic, plated steel or stainless steel. The latch is pre-bent to an angle . . . which was not exactly what I wanted, so I bent it a little more/less to align exactly with the door. The latch is spring loaded so that it stays tight to the RV wall when not in use and will not pop out of the door retainer when holding the door. I am not sure if this will solve the problem you are describing . . . but, it works for us.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This is an issue I haven't seen reported before Jerry. I'm interested to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Jerry & Rebecca,

On our Reflection 303RLS, the entry door overlaps the pass-through storage door. I use a commonly available RV door latch to hold the entry door just clear of the storage compartment door. These come in plastic, plated steel or stainless steel. The latch is pre-bent to an angle . . . which was not exactly what I wanted, so I bent it a little more/less to align exactly with the door. The latch is spring loaded so that it stays tight to the RV wall when not in use and will not pop out of the door retainer when holding the door. I am not sure if this will solve the problem you are describing . . . but, it works for us.

Rob
        Thanks Rob - My previous RV's have had these latches and seem to work well if you're wanting to keep the door open while you're doing things and I'm certainly going to investigate those since mine doesn't have those either. Thanks for the pics

Basically, I'm more concerned about having the door swing all the way open whether you're standing inside or outside. If standing inside and you open the door a little bit, if a gust of wind comes around it catches the door and slams against the side of the RV. Although there's a rubber "stopper" and a magnet to hold it there, the only way to close the door at this point (now that it's all the way open (180 degrees) is to step down on the steps, grab the door handle and pull that door closed. I'm 6'4" and most of the time it's not an issue to stretch way around and across to pull the door closed, Rebecca on the other hand isn't as fortunate.

Hey @TusconJim, I have an idea.. maybe I come up with a solution and call it "Dat Door Solution"

Best Regards,
        DreamRider

Comment

We did have a spring on the door of the motor home my folks had when I was little that pulled the door back shut, sometimes had to hold open when you were trying to carry something with both hands. Our Reflection has the friction hinge door that does help but like you say when a gust hits it. I have not seen anyone adding a shock or such to help this issue, you may be the first if you try something out.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My OpenRange had a gas spring to open the door and hold it open at a little more than 90 degrees. The OR had no screen door, so the gas spring was attached directly to the main door. The other end was anchored to the door threshold.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Limiting the door opening could be detrimental if you have the solid steps. On the previous and now this camper the door has to be almost flat against the sidewall for the infall preventer to clear the screen door frame.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I imagine you could put the gas spring at the door top to the header.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Dreamrider those struts like you are describing are commonplace on the motorhome side of things. Try RV upgrade store.com. Just be sure you get a 20 lb rated strut. Too much pressure will make the door really hard to close, and could tweak the door or frame.
                  Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                  2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                  2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                  Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamrider View Post
                    I hope I'm creating this topic in the right spot, since, depending on where you're standing, could be interior or exterior.

Peeps - I have searched high and low and for the life of me, I can't figure out how Grand Design missed some type of front door stop or at least a small shock absorber to keep the front door from opening all the way, maybe 100 degree's or something adjustable. This has really started to become a quest at this point.. Our front door constantly just bangs open from the wind. Having to step down onto the ladder to reach around to the door handle (which in itself is a flimsy piece of plastic) to grab both the screen door and the actual front door is, well, annoying. (btw. installing RV lock is awesome and fixed that flimsy door handle, what a SOLID upgrade that has been)

I've called GD they referred me to Lippert, Lippert said go here, I've looked here and I can't seem to find any reference to people discouraged about the front door or who has made any mods. Maybe it's me and Rebecca.. /shrug

If someone has a solution please let me know. All I can come up with is looking here: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/adjustable and taking measurements and hoping that this is the right way to go.

If anyone has ANY idea's or applied solutions or a mod, we would be forever grateful.

Jerry and Rebecca
                    (going dat way..)

You door should have a friction hinge that feels stiff when in opening, and a latch on the trailer to keep it open.. My Reflection does. I wonder if GD went away from this. My door will not swing open in a wind - its too stiff to do so.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We bought this from Lippert, works great. https://store.lci1.com/friction-hing...hinge-kit.html
                      an install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fwZbPu-CIU

Comment

Our Momentum has a strut on the rear door. I'll see if I have any photos of it in place.
                        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Dreamrider -- I'm surprised your door doesn't have the friction hinge mentioned by Yoda and TNFSolitude . They work great on my '18 315RLTS' door. I actually have to lubricate them (seems counter-intuitive!) they work so well.

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
                            I LIKE This.. https://store.lci1.com/friction-hing...hinge-kit.html

To me it's a nominal cost to get and try these rather than trying to get struts and things.. I'll post results.

howson - I agree.. and the OEM hinges on my unit are typical, non-adjusting hinges.
                            Best Regards,
                            DreamRider

Comment

I think i saw a write up where someone had a set of friction hinges that were not tight enough. Simple fix was to take a center punch or small diameter (like a nail set) and re-ping the hinges where the dimples are. you might want to try this.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X