Back of RV Damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back of RV Damaged

We had a mishap today and caught the backend on the driver's side on a pole at the gas station and ripped part of it apart. Where can I go to get this fixed or who would you recommend that will do a good job? We can go anywhere in the midwest or west as we are full time and traveling. I hear everywhere is backed up until next spring. Are we good to put some tape seal on this area until we can get it fixed?

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

346FLS
    Last edited by TanaC; 10-12-2022, 06:54 PM.

Well if it were me I would see if I had any way to get at those screws and back them out. Then shove the wall in, duct tape it and put the screws back in if possible.
    If it's not possible to access those screws.....push it in as best you can and tape it up...nothing else you can do really until you can arrange repair.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

TanaC -- first choice would be the factory service center in Elkhart, but I realize that's not anywhere near your location. My first thought is talking to your insurance company, as I'd think they'd want to limit any further damage so maybe they have a resource they can point you to.

At minimum give GD Customer Service a call in the morning and ask them for options. They may not be able to help, but a call won't hurt.

Howard

P.S. Really a bummer to see the damage on your rig. Hope it gets patched and good as new soonest.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sorry for your troubles. Gives me one more reason to worry at fuel stops. I don’t think Kathy really understands why I have her stand and watch the back of the trailer when the exit from the pumps is a little tight.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Temporary Fix. Find another pole and use it to push the wall back to close the gap. Then screw it in place if possible. If not possible, use a really strong tape like Gorilla brand to tape it in place.

The body shop a Lazy Days RV in Tucson has a pretty good reputation based upon my memory.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

For sealing skip duct tape and go straight to eternabond. Yes it's nasty to remove but it's probably one of the best sealers you can use in you situation.

I do agree with trying to get the wall back as close as possible to original location and screwing it or other means to hold it. Using the TV and a hard object may create more damage, but if that's the only way you can get it to move, then that is what you will have to do.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Not eternabond, use gorilla tape. just as strong, but you can remove it.

Never leave home without a white and a black roll of Gorilla tape.

Way better than eternabond, even on roof repairs.
              USN Engineer Retired
              2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
              2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

I vote for a trip to Elkhart if at all possible. If you do end up trying to push the wall back into position make sure and clearance any wiring, you wouldnt want to pinch anything and cause a short.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Depending on a timely response from 1. your insurance company and 2. Grand Design, I would drop by an auto body shop close to your location and see if they can (even if temporary) piece things back together to prevent water/travel damage. I had a sidewall repair through a GD dealer who subbed the actual work to an auto body shop.

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I think we will look into Elkhart. This is such a bummer but it it isn't going to discourage us.

Comment

Curious how your repair went. Had a similar mishap with a pole at a gas station this weekend. Damage looks very similar. Was able to use a ratchet strap to pull the wall in and taped it up good to keep it dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Familyof5 View Post
                        Curious how your repair went. Had a similar mishap with a pole at a gas station this weekend. Damage looks very similar. Was able to use a ratchet strap to pull the wall in and taped it up good to keep it dry.
                        TanaC has not logged in since March. Not unusual on this forum (since we stick to technical issues).

If you post pictures perhaps there's someone here who can chime in with a few suggestions. Also, please read the Welcome Letter (linked off the home page).

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                        X