Closed cell rigid foam board - confused on types and designations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed cell rigid foam board - confused on types and designations

OK with the frame repairs again on my mind I got to thinking how to secure the rigid foam insulation and then got to looking for local sources. In searching Home Depot and Lowe's, the closed cell high density (5R per inch) is available. Its the pink stuff. Same for Lowe's . I seem to remember a higher density blue stuff a few years back that was close to 8R per inch. Now I am also seeing foil bonded and sealed foam boards or varying R values. All appear to have different designation labeling. I am assuming the guberment got involved with some new regulations.

Is there a premier out there to understand all the numbers?

From what is available locally I think I want the pink stuff (closed cell) with the R5 per inch rating or better to insulate the underbelly https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...DNGX/315197962

But what happened to the blue stuff?

There is a commercial supply house in town, so I may drop in tomorrow and ask. For the trailer do I need anything really higher than say an r10 if I can fit the 2"?

Thanks for educating me - I don't want to over engineer this.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Avoid the foil backed stuff as it's usually not as dense as the other and the foil can peel (been there done that). There is a Dow Blue board (just used some 1/2" on a roofing project) that is very similar to the pink board.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-Common-...ier/1000168163

Found this chart: https://www.attainablehome.com/what-...rd-insulation/
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda
      Are you going to turn the 220RK into the 220RK-B17G version like Rob?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Avoid the foil backed stuff as it's usually not as dense as the other and the foil can peel (been there done that). There is a Dow Blue board (just used some 1/2" on a roofing project) that is very similar to the pink board.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dow-Common-...ier/1000168163

Found this chart: https://www.attainablehome.com/what-...rd-insulation/
        T&G sounds interesting. As for the Polyisocyanurate I think I read somewhere is looses R value over time - like 25% at 10 years, but I might look into it.

Thanks for the links.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          Yoda
          Are you going to turn the 220RK into the 220RK-B17G version like Rob?
          LOL

In a way but different. No doors (I don't have that skill set) just removable sections that are fairly easy to take down and put back. The sections would cover strategic areas that might need maintenance more often. I think I identified them in my coroplast thread.

Keith

Comment

Cross bars can be used to hold the sheets of rigid foam (with fabricated "twist latches") and provide additional attachment points for the coroplast. See post 12 at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...al-replacement.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Cross bars can be used to hold the sheets of rigid foam (with fabricated "twist latches") and provide additional attachment points for the coroplast. See post 12 at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...al-replacement.

Rob
              Yep I had that in mind until we realized the entire frame needs the 2x2 sub frame, which means the top of the rigid foam can ride against the cross bar. I don't know how to describe, but the foam would need to be supported on the edges as the sheets would span the full width covering the existing cross bars. I guess I could use some all thread and make studs to go through the foam and use fender washers? I need to do that at several locations anyway to support the propane line cross over points.

Thanks for the help

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yep I had that in mind until we realized the entire frame needs the 2x2 sub frame:
                Why not run the cross bars between the sub frames, with all lower surfaces flush for coroplast to attach to? No need to go thicker than 1” rigid foam . . . that’s about all there is in the walls and slides anyway.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That's the plan then I will have a new flush frame to screw everything to.
                  Last edited by Yoda; 11-20-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I guess you could go for quick fasteners: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrd-192 if they will hold a race car fender on at 100+ MPH, then they should hold a camper together.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I guess you could go for quick fasteners: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrd-192 if they will hold a race car fender on at 100+ MPH, then they should hold a camper together.
                      LOL You are trying to set me up as a B17......but to laugh I do have some 200 mph duct tape

I ran across some vinyl L channel (window trim) that I can make clips out of easily and I will probably use the strong carpet tape to secure clips. to the inside of the 2x2 sub frame. If I ever need the foam down all I need to do is run an exact-o box knife blade behind it to cut them free, and then just use new tape to reinstall. For center supports and for the propane line I will use some 1/4" or 3/16' all thread that can extend through the foam thickness and use big fender washers to be sure when securing I don't pull through the foam.

And I did discover what happened to the Blue Dow foam board. The EPA got involved and they had to take the blue dye out - it is now grayish in color. Same as the pink stuff though as far a R value.

Thanks for the help folks

Happy Thanksgiving
                      Keith

Comment

In today's episode of "let's throw another curve at Keith" . . . if you are dividing the coroplast into smaller sections, have you considered running the seam lengthwise rather than crosswise? In the times that I have had to drop the coroplast I am usually tracking something that runs all or part of the length of the trailer down one side or the other. I really don't need access to the other side of the underbelly. A centre seam would also make removing/replacing the coroplast around the suspension hangers much easier.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

When I was designing ****pit panels form aircraft, we used Dzus fasteners. A lot of variations have been added in the elapsed 60 years. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dzus+fast...l_4aci2coqcu_e

On edit. Thank you censorship: what do you call the space in which pilots control aircraft?
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                            On edit. Thank you censorship: what do you call the space in which pilots control aircraft?
                            LOL! We don't have control over this level censorship . . . it is automatic in the forum software. Similar to a small valve known as a pet****.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              In today's episode of "let's throw another curve at Keith" . . . if you are dividing the coroplast into smaller sections, have you considered running the seam lengthwise rather than crosswise? In the times that I have had to drop the coroplast I am usually tracking something that runs all or part of the length of the trailer down one side or the other. I really don't need access to the other side of the underbelly. A centre seam would also make removing/replacing the coroplast around the suspension hangers much easier.

Rob
                              UGG!!!

Now my head really hurts. Me thinks I better hide for a while

Comment

Working...
                              X