Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding Between Imagine 2500RL & XLS 23LDE

Hey everybody,

So, the time has come for us to purchase our very first RV and we're looking at two New 2022 trailers that are priced right, thanks to all the new 2023's coming in. One is the Imagine 2500RL and the other is the XLS 23LDE. We really like the walk through bathroom layout and roadside accessibility as well as the bathroom size for both these models. Does anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other which they would choose?

Would love to hear feedback of RVers who have actually owned these two units.

Thank you so much and we can't wait to become fellow Grand Design owners!
    Last edited by 2MannCrew; 12-08-2022, 08:29 PM.

Originally posted by 2MannCrew View Post
    Hey everybody,

So, the time has come for us to purchase our very first RV and we're looking at two New 2022 trailers that are priced right, thanks to all the new 2023's coming in. One is the Imagine 2500RL and the other is the XLS 23LDE. We really like the walk through bathroom layout and roadside accessibility as well as the bathroom size for both these models. Does anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other which they would choose?

Would love to hear feedback of RVers who have actually owned these two units.

Thank you so much and we can't wait to become fellow Grand Design owners!
    Two thoughts as I look at the floorplans.

1) What slide mechanism is used on the 23LDE vs the 2500RL? If one uses a thru-frame slide and the other a Schwintek, there's no question in my mind: go for the thru-frame. ("Schwintek" has distinctive rails on the both sides of the slide box, top and bottom. Thru-frame's mechanism is viewable by looking under the slidebox.)

2) The 23LDE's refrigerator appears to be accessible with the slide closed, the 2500RL's does not. Makes a difference on a travel day. (Depends on how you're going to use the trailer is this is meaningful or not.)

GVWR is close between the two campers...will only matter if the payload figures are close (payload on the tow vehicle).

Kitchen setup preference is dependent on whomever spends the most time there. In my house it's my DW--she'd make "the call" on that issue.

Please stop back and let us know what you decide. If there's any technical-specific question that the dealer can't answer (or you want to verify) don't hesitate to ask.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

2MannCrew I do not own either of these but have opinions

Imagine series have a little more upgrades/standard features than Imagine XLS.

The imagine (2500RL) will give you about 3" more headroom, a little more tank capacity, but is heavier and longer.

I'm with Howard, it would be the kitchen setup that would be the main decision maker for me.
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

SNIP

2) The 23LDE's refrigerator appears to be accessible with the slide closed, the 2500RL's does not. Makes a difference on a travel day. SNIP
        The frig is accessible on the 2500RL when the slide is in. The doors maybe open only 45 to 60 degrees, but not a big deal to access the contents.
        Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I agree with the slide mechanics and prefer the thru frame slide.

Spend some time sitting and moving around in each unit, one will stand out over the other.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Ask sales what the difference is between the two lines. A couple years ago looking at the Reflection 303RLS and a Reflection 150...forget the model but a very similar layout. The difference was about $5-6K in price. Looking at the spec sheet showed virtually no differences. But the salesman gave me a list of the differences. A couple that I still remember were bigger wheels and tires, thicker floor plywood, and better cabinetry. There were quite a few other items on the list but you get the idea.
            So make sure you know what ALL the differences are between an Imagine, and an XLS. The spec sheet is not the whole story.
            When we are looking at floor plans, we like to see the bathroom and the fridge not too far from the door.
            So when sitting at the fire you don't have to walk the length of the trailer to get a beer.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Regarding the comments about the slide types. Both the 2500RL and the 23 LDE have the Schwintek slide system.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I just looked at those floor-plans side by side and based just on the layouts I would pick the 2500RL every single time. I cannot overstate how much we love those real-living windows. Sure the 23LDE has one rear window but it's a small above sink window compared to the multiple rear windows in the 2500RL. We have only had our rig for one season but already have had many opportunities to back into a site that has our rear-living facing Great Lake shores, National Forests, mountains, sand dunes... I'm telling you that is something that will be difficult/impossible for me to give up if we are to swap to another rig in the future.

Everything already said is important and valid as well, but just pointing something else out from another perspective.
                David and Deana
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

This is all great feedback you guys! The fridge seems to open enough to get at everything you would need to on the 2500RL, so I'm Ok with the road mode on either one. I'm 6'2", so the headroom is going to be a key factor in our decision. I know there's going to be a skylight in the shower of both, so that would help a lot in the 23LDE, but the barrel ceiling of the 2500RL might really be the difference maker. The difference in price with the quotes I've received is only $2k, so it will really just come to layout. I have a 2019 Ford Expedition Platinum, so towing should be fine with either one, even though the 2500RL is a little taller and longer. If we choose the 2500RL, the thing I'd have to figure out is if I can get a longer swing mount on the TV. I might just have to suck it up, but I love the straight on look at the TV of the XLS 23LDE.

Have you guys found the feedback in this owner's group to be helpful? We've only been on and I know, I sure have! Grand Design owners feel like a great group of people :-)

Comment

This is all great feedback you guys! The fridge seems to open enough to get at everything you would need to on the 2500RL, so I'm Ok with the road mode on either one. I'm 6'2", so the headroom is going to be a key factor in our decision. I know there's going to be a skylight in the shower of both, so that would help a lot in the 23LDE, but the barrel ceiling of the 2500RL might really be the difference maker. The difference in price with the quotes I've received is only $2k, so it will really just come to layout. I have a 2019 Ford Expedition Platinum, so towing should be fine with either one, even though the 2500RL is a little taller and longer. If we choose the 2500RL, the thing I'd have to figure out is if I can get a longer swing mount on the TV. I might just have to suck it up, but I love the straight on look at the TV of the XLS 23LDE.

Have you guys found the feedback in this owner's group to be helpful? We've only been on and I know, I sure have! Grand Design owners feel like a great group of people :-)
                    Re towing with that vehicle. The actual tongue weight will be a fair bit higher than what the factory shows, mine was close to 700 as delivered. I added a few mods and some basic gear and it sits at about 800 now. Have a look at the door sticker on your Expedition to see what the cargo capacity is, which includes passengers, gear and tongue weight (the EQ hitch will send some of the tongue weight back to the trailer's wheels). The EQ hitch adds almost another 100 lbs to the tongue weight, so what it sends to the trailer's wheels might be about a wash. On the bottom side of your hitch on your Exp. there should be a capacity noted, with and without EQ. Cargo capacities aside, if yours is the short wheelbase Expedition, you might be somewhat marginal from an overall stable feel viewpoint.
                    Ottertail, Minnesota
                    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Have you guys found the feedback in this owner's group to be helpful?
                      It won't always be the same from everybody, but is always useful. Even if you have a certain way of doing things, you will gain other perspectives from member feedback. And you will definitely learn new tricks from the knowledgeable people here.
                      Also......If you want to fill your tool box...you came to the right place!..lol Right Yoda ..... Keith?

I second Wondersawait's sentiment regarding the back window
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        It won't always be the same from everybody, but is always useful. Even if you have a certain way of doing things, you will gain other perspectives from member feedback. And you will definitely learn new tricks from the knowledgeable people here.
                        Also......If you want to fill your tool box...you came to the right place!..lol Right Yoda ..... Keith?

I second Wondersawait's sentiment regarding the back window
                        Right - and good ones too
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Went to see both the XLS 23LDE and 2500RL today and it was no contest. Ceiling is just too low on the XLS and the 2500RL just has bigger everything. Taller barreled ceiling, bigger dinette, bigger shower, bigger TV, bigger tires, more outside storage, etc. In an unexpected twist of events, we actually bought a brand new 2023 unit! They basically matched the deal I had for a New 2022, so it was hard to say no. Plus, this General RV dealership in Huntley, IL is huge and has a good reputation, so I like getting my RV serviced at the same place I bought it.

Having a couple solid quotes for New 2022's was a great bargaining chip, that's for sure! Ended up getting roughly 35% off of MSRP, which I feel good about.

As for towing, I have a 2019 Ford Expedition Platinum with the heavy duty tow/trailer assist package, so feel pretty good about the 9,200 tow capacity and the CCC on it is 1,500 lbs. UVW of the trailer is 6,080 lbs, so I'm figuring tongue weight will be between 700-800 lbs after I get the Andersen hitch, which weighs 50 lbs or so. It's going to be just me and the wife 90-95% of the time, so I doubt we'll go over 7,000 lbs total with trailer loaded for an extended weekend or even a week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Camper.jpg
Views:	1531
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	101015

Comment

Congratulations on your choice!

FWIW . . . it is good that you are planning to get your Imagine serviced where you bought it. RV dealers are not like truck/car dealers . . . they are not obligated to service trailers that they did not sell and with service facilities all being overwhelmed these days, many won’t even look at a same brand trailer that they didn’t sell originally.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

2MannCrew I would have chosen the same thing. You have good taste
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                              X