Tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure

Good morning everyone, I’m new to grand design and New to 5th Wheel’s. I’ve had a class A diesel pusher & My question is on my coach. I had it weighed in went to the tire guide to determine tire pressure. How do you do it on these fifth wheels?

Best is to use the recommended tire pressure until you get several trips under you and determine what you will have in the unit. After that find a Cat scale and pay to have it weighed. Start with the empty TV and then reweigh with the trailer. This is so you can determine pin weight along with getting the axle weights for the unit.

Err on the side of caution with tire loads as with the suspension setup in a trailer, it may not be equal between the 2 axles.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Trailer weight side-to-side will not be equal on many towable RVs. You cannot take the Cat scale weight and divide equally by 4 to determine weight carried by each tire.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mac58 View Post
        Good morning everyone, I’m new to grand design and New to 5th Wheel’s. I’ve had a class A diesel pusher & My question is on my coach. I had it weighed in went to the tire guide to determine tire pressure. How do you do it on these fifth wheels?
        Just run the max tire pressure on the tire sidewall and go. I have never aired down my tires using weight charts - can cause too many issues such as excessive sidewall flex. and heat build up if not correct. So simply air up and go.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I always use the recommended tire pressure on the placard located on the left front of the trailer. In the tow vehicle its in the door jamb on the drivers door.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

While adjusting the tire pressure according to the weight chart provides a more comfortable ride I use max cold tire pressure on my 5th wheel. There is no one in their to complain about the ride.

The tire pressure charts and max cold PSI are set when the ambient temperature is 70f. If it's warmer out the tire pressure will be more and if it's cold out the tire pressure will be less. I use 1 psi per 5 degrees difference.

In all the things I have read about tire failure under inflation is the leading cause. As a result I use max cold psi (adjusted for temperature) all the time.

I am also a huge fan of Tire Pressure Monitor Systems on 5th wheels. You often don't feel or hear a 5th wheel tire go. The longer you run with a flat the more damage occurs.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
              While adjusting the tire pressure according to the weight chart provides a more comfortable ride I use max cold tire pressure on my 5th wheel. There is no one in their to complain about the ride.

The tire pressure charts and max cold PSI are set when the ambient temperature is 70f. If it's warmer out the tire pressure will be more and if it's cold out the tire pressure will be less. I use 1 psi per 5 degrees difference.

In all the things I have read about tire failure under inflation is the leading cause. As a result I use max cold psi (adjusted for temperature) all the time.

I am also a huge fan of Tire Pressure Monitor Systems on 5th wheels. You often don't feel or hear a 5th wheel tire go. The longer you run with a flat the more damage occurs.
              Great strategy and one I follow myself. I just recently added the TPMS sensors into my Reflection tires and let the truck monitor the temps and pressures. As far as the cold pressures---I was taught to always reference what's stamped on the tires for cars, trucks, trailers, campers, and etc. I run the cold max all the time and have never had an issue. Many times people change out the tires for something other than what the manufacture quoted so the tags stamped on the vehicles are inaccurate. If you follow what's stamped on the tire---you can't go wrong.....IMHO.
              40-year Camping Enthusiast
              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

I have the wheels off my Reflection and sitting in the back of my truck right now. I am going to drop them off in the AM to have the GM TPMS sensors installed.

Comment

familytruckster4

Get a TPMS relearn tool. Works on trailer sensors as well as truck sensors. A lot easier than letting pressure out and then refilling. The $10 tool works just as well as the $150 tool. (In my experience on my Ford).

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

X2!

I own 5 trailers, and all of have run at max cold pressure for almost every mile, and they’ve been towed a lot of miles. Only time I drop the pressure is hauling empty if the trailer wants to bounce.

John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I have seen numerous posts about higher pressures making for a poor ride. Always wondered who they put back there in the trailer......to get the feedback.......

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      2021 303RLS
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        familytruckster4

Get a TPMS relearn tool. Works on trailer sensors as well as truck sensors. A lot easier than letting pressure out and then refilling. The $10 tool works just as well as the $150 tool. (In my experience on my Ford).

Rob
                        I have had one for a few years.

Comment

I have a cargo trailer that will bounce off the road if towed empty with full pressure in the tires. I assume a similar affect of tire pressure on an RV. Part of the question is when owners choose to upgrade trailer tires, say from 65 psi D to 80 psi E, and the trailer label says 65 psi. . . should they stay with 65 psi in the E spec tires that say 80 psi on the sidewall? I would say stay at 65 psi since this pressure will carry the GVWR of the trailer (according to the RV manufacturer).

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            I have a cargo trailer that will bounce off the road if towed empty with full pressure in the tires. I assume a similar affect of tire pressure on an RV. Part of the question is when owners choose to upgrade trailer tires, say from 65 psi D to 80 psi E, and the trailer label says 65 psi. . . should they stay with 65 psi in the E spec tires that say 80 psi on the sidewall? I would say stay at 65 psi since this pressure will carry the GVWR of the trailer (according to the RV manufacturer).

Rob
                            That's exactly my situation, Rob. I've tracked wear on my 315RLTS' tires closely, so based on difference in the tread depth I know if the tire is under or over inflated. My rig has a sticker that says 80 psi, but run a Sailun tire with a sidewall maximum of 110 psi. Currently (due to known wear patterns) the tires are set to 90 psi.

For those with OEM-spec'd tires I agree with the sentiment to "set it and forget it" (air up to label pressure). For the minority that are not running OEM-spec'd tires, a bit more time and investigation is required (IMO).

For more on the tracking I've done, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nd-conclusions

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The other major factor in ride quality is balancing the tires. Years ago I bought a PJ 30' deck over goose neck and drove it back to Durango from ABQ (3 hours at 65+) I made it about 50 miles before I had to find a tire dealer and get the tires balanced as the trailer was bouncing all over the place. One was so far out they had to dismount and spin the tire. It was still bad so they swapped it out for the spare. Once balanced everything smoothed out. I think we have probably all seen a trailer with at least 1 tire bounding.

As for interior ride - with no one in the 5th wheel. I have a rear kitchen and I can sure tell when things bounce around.

Now Rob Cate&Rob makes a good point if upgrading from say E at 80 psi to G at 110 psi or more (for those with 16" wheels), that staying at 80 is probably correct. Consultation with the tire pressure/load charts is probably in order too as I don't think the capacity is linear with tire pressure.

Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X