Violent jerk while towing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violent jerk while towing.

We have a 2021 GD Solitude S-Class 3540GK that we absolutely love. We are, however, experiencing and "out of the blue" violent jerk while travelling down the highway. It feels like we are towing a car behind us with a heavy chain that gets too much slack in it. When the slack is quickly taken up there is that shock that jerks us out of our seats. We thought it may be the brake controller from our 2020 GMC 3500HD Duramax w/10 speed transmission, so we pulled the fuse to the controller. Thought we had it licked but the issue returned. Does anyone have any ideas? We areis South Dakota and have to make it back to Oregon.

I’d be checking the hitch and pin box closely for anything loose. Then take a look at the suspension of the trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
      We have a 2021 GD Solitude S-Class 3540GK that we absolutely love. We are, however, experiencing and "out of the blue" violent jerk while travelling down the highway. It feels like we are towing a car behind us with a heavy chain that gets too much slack in it. When the slack is quickly taken up there is that shock that jerks us out of our seats. We thought it may be the brake controller from our 2020 GMC 3500HD Duramax w/10 speed transmission, so we pulled the fuse to the controller. Thought we had it licked but the issue returned. Does anyone have any ideas? We areis South Dakota and have to make it back to Oregon.
      John is correct
      Do a pull test (forward and back by locking/blocking the trailer) and have someone watch the king pin on the hitch for movement. What hitch do you have? The reason I ask is there was a post on jaw movement, but I forgot the brand. Also check the hitch attachment points. Are you using a puck or rail system, or just the goose neck ball mount.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Optimus Prime - good suggestions so far. Your situation is unusual as you describe it. Where are you at in SD ? If close to Sioux Falls in the SE part, I may be able to stop and take a look if you do not get resolved and still need assistance.

How long have you had your 3540 ? Just got it and/or a new hitch ? A new condition just happened or has been happening for how long ?

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Another item to check.

Take a good look at the plunger on the break-away switch. If it is not securely snapped in place, it can randomly apply the trailer brakes. I'd pull the plunger all the way out, and then make sure you reinsert it so that it's firmly in place.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I bet Jim’s right - happened to me with my break-away switch and it was very scary.
            2022 28/BH w/slide awnings, rear camera, lithium batteries, solar
            TV: 2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Desiel, 5.9 I6

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              Another item to check.

Take a good look at the plunger on the break-away switch. If it is not securely snapped in place, it can randomly apply the trailer brakes. I'd pull the plunger all the way out, and then make sure you reinsert it so that it's firmly in place.

Jim
              Good idea. Seems a very likely cause to me.
              If it happened to me I'd have to stop and do laundry!
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Another item to check.

Jim
                I never would have thought of that
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X